PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam VS Washmitt

FMINUS
08-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I am about to use my sea foam sponge today and I was wondering how do you guys feel about it vs sheepskin washmitts from Walmart?

FMINUS
08-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I have the cheapest Karcher PW, I was wondering what are the benefits of upgrading to a more powerful washer?

More foam?

ScottB
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Jason swears by the sea sponge ... I still cannot bring myself to use it. Sea=sand and just gives me the shakes. A good sheepskin or MF mitt is all I need.

supercharged
08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I really like Natural Sea sponge and will not change it for Wally World sheepskin/wool mitt. You should try it, Scott...maybe on wife's Caddy?;)

Sevenrd
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I love sea sponges for washing. They hold a ton of water/soap are gentle on the paint, rinse clean. I recently started using a BHB which I also like because it's even easier to rinse clean and has a wider wash path so the wash takes less time.

Thejoyofdriving
08-03-2007, 09:36 PM
It seems to me that the sea sponges would not have a large contact patch with the paint due to the same they seem to come in, which means that it will take a bit longer to wash. I have never used one so these are just my thoughts, but i do think that sea sponges are probably one of safest tools to wash a car because of all of the pores that can keep dirt off the paint. I like to use special car brushes like the one from oxo because i feel the brushes also are one of the best.

FMINUS
08-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I just used the sponge for the first time ever, and I think it should only be used on very well maintained cars, the sponge is too soft and will not take off any hardened substances on the surface.

BUt I really liked it, it does absorb a lot of water and is very gental

klumzypinoy
08-04-2007, 01:20 AM
I've never tried a sea sponge. I just like the idea of washing ur car with a dead sea animal :p

tod071
08-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I've used both and find that the sea sponge holds alot more water than the mitt and is alot faster to wash a car than the mitt. Although it uses alot more water, it is very easy to work with and keeps the paint very wet and lubricated. Like FMINUS pointed out, it does great with fine dust and loose particles, but does not clean very dirty cars as well as the mitt.

I use the sea sponge when I use a shampoo and use the mitt when I use ONR.

Nica
08-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Man FMINUS you read my mind on this topic, I've been doing some digging on the sea sponge, at first I was like killer. I was a little intimidated by the image that came to my mind but then I started reading and it sounds like quite the utensil. Well something else I need to try out.

FMINUS
08-04-2007, 02:35 AM
I never thought of the whole SAND thing. That makes sense though. But looking in my rinse bucket I couldnt find ONE granual of sand, so thats good.

So far, I think I will use it for a light wash. Mitts are still good for dirtier washes.

klumzypinoy
08-04-2007, 02:37 AM
I will have to try this sea animal some day :D