PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding practice

frankprozzoly
07-30-2014, 07:01 AM
The guy putting in my remote starter was laying down on the door sill and put these scratches in. I didn't notice it till a week later. That's the reason I traded for silver. Hard to notice anything.

I was gonna practice wet sanding. But I think these are too deep. How do you know if they're to deep. My nail is catching pretty much all of them

David Hayward
07-30-2014, 07:21 AM
I am not sure that there is a for sure way to tell other than experience what can be fixed with sanding. From the looks of your picture, keep in mind I'm viewing on my phone so maybe it looks different, it appears as though it's more of a gouge out of the panel than a scratch. I say that because I'm seeing a different color. Typically a plain old regular scratch would look more white where as those look dark almost like it's through the paint.

frankprozzoly
07-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Your right it's definitely a gouge. I'll just leave it alone

FUNX650
07-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Frank...

•So sorry this happened to your brand new car.

•I don't believe just wet-sanding will "remove" these gouges.
-Looks more like touch-up paint, or even a re-spray, may be required.
-Keep in mind the CC is usually pretty skimpy around this area/edge...if you would decide to wet-sand.

Your right it's definitely a gouge. I'll just leave it alone
Regardless, they need to be repaired to keep out moisture and other contaminates---don't want any rusting to occur!!

•Once again:
So sorry this happened.

Bob

David Hayward
07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Touch up paint should at least make it easier to look at without breaking the bank.

frankprozzoly
07-30-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm gonna talk to a shop. I can't imagine it would be to pricey. The guys doing my seats and starter had to replace a piece of plastic trim on the shifter console.

They showed me as soon as I walked in to get my car.

Because of the silver I didn't notice the door sill scratches till a week later

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. However that saying goes. I'm not that guy. I don't like confrontations

Setec Astronomy
07-30-2014, 09:12 AM
That looks like it's down to the plastic underneath so wetsanding won't help. As stated touch-up paint, which you can then carefully sand if you like, or Langka it.