PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for dealer cover ups.

Pages : [1] 2

FOCUS.FREAK
07-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I dis like tan interior cars and trucks. J29333My sister got this 2008 gmc Denali. Tan interior. They wanted the inside and outside done. I said sure no problem. Who ever owned this car before them took terrible care of it. Either a they had someone cover up the carpet with some type of spray. Or b car max did this to cover the stains. Everything has seat paint on it. Make sure you guys look for this.

Jordan

29334293352933629337293382933929340293412934229343 293442934529346

Dr_Pain
07-29-2014, 02:56 PM
:welcome: to AG (since it is your first post). This does indeed look terrible!

kevin_1981
07-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Wow. I'd wish I could say I was surprised... but dealerships never surprise me.

FOCUS.FREAK
07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Yea happy first post to me haha. I figure it would be just a normal interior cleaning but then I hit a wall.....

kevin_1981
07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Didn't realize it was your first. Welcome to the community!

Kingston
07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
See it all day, every day. I also do it myself all the time except I make it look really good and remove the overspray as I go. This is getting more and more common, especially at lots like car max. By the way.....car max is right near the top of the list of worst car lots to buy from. They buy absolute junk at the auctions and their clean up crews have mastered the science of making a roach look like a butterfly with fabric paint and quick exterior paint work that lasts about 5 minutes. Buyers beware.

Looks like your little green is working. Do the best you can to clean it off then hire a good fabric painter like doctor vinyl to redo it. Or just cover with floor mats and forget it. I think at this point I'd be much more worried about the mechanics of the vehicle because I'm sure its been neglected there too.

Good luck. Keep us updated. And welcome.

cardaddy
07-29-2014, 11:10 PM
:welcome:to AGO! :D

Can't say I agree with ya' on lighter colored interiors, as I can't stand black ones. :laughing: (Just waaaaaaaay too hot, dark, and on small cars... makes them look even smaller.)

Not really sure that is indicative of something CarMax did. Maybe something that was already done. :dunno: I know I did their towing for YEARS, and picked up literally thousands of auction vehicles for them, and they'd "RTV" (Return To Vendor) a vehicle that looked like that.

YES... they have first rate reconditioning shops (especially when compared to any and all other car lots) but their inspection process is what really separates them from other dealerships with everything you can think of being checked. Only when you move up towards Certified Pre-Owned (at like kind dealerships) is there something similar.

That isn't saying that they wouldn't be using plastic dye, because I'm sure they would, did, and will continue to do. But those carpets look REALLY BAD. :eek: I've seen them return vehicles for MUCH LESS.

That being said; they also have those special cars, ones that are under $10K and occasionally the "as-is" units that are even cheaper... trade-in's that haven't been sent to auction yet. (Yes, they send their junk to auction as well.) Thing is, they'll pay more at auction than your average car lot, then do more to those cars to get them ready, then of course put a price on them that is more than you can usually go across the street and buy them for.

Not defending them, by any stretch of the imagination.... just saying that if I were buying a used car that I'd certainly not be afraid to go there. (Just be prepared to pay higher prices for them!) I've spent untold thousands of hours in their locations, in their buyers offices, and loading and unloading their vehicles. They are somewhat if a meat-grinder to their employees as well. Then again, who isn't these days. :rolleyes:

If you guys think though that what you found is something that they tried to hide, you SERIOUSLY need to address that with their managers. Don't worry so much about trying to fix it, rather have THEM rectify the situation. In my experience they'll work with the buyers, even if it means you just get something else. Of course ymmv..... :dunno:

SANTA3013
07-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Welcome to AG! Since we are talking about cover ups I will include smells. I have a friend who recently purchased a used late model Ford Focus. A few days after she got it home she discovered the interior smelled like cigarette smoke. Apparently dealers use something to cover up smells too instead of using an ozone generator to eliminate them.

BobbyG
07-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Unfortunately dealers and car salesman have long ago established a propensity for deception and outright lying in order to sell a car. Make it look good enough to sell is their mantra' quality and honesty are not among their accolades.......AND, used cars are used cars

I have to say that I've painted plastics several times but I clean and prep the plastic to ensure proper paint adhesion.

FOCUS.FREAK
08-19-2014, 07:34 PM
So a little update. My brother in law and my sister went back to carmax to have a few things fixed as well as address the problem with the carpets. Of course carmax did what they always do and say them had nothing to do with the carpet. So they give them the car and I believe they had it for maybe 3 or 4 days. They receive the car back and I talked to my sister and told her let me know what spot you concerned about and I'll try to tackle them. My brother in law showed me the car and the spots. He lifts up the floor mat and say we'll these were where the stains were. I took a closer look to see they did what we all think they did again. Yes people. They painted the carpet again. It took me 3 seconds to see that. Now they didn't paint the whole thing this time... (thank god). So being the person I am even though it isn't my car I'm going to send a very detailed letter to carmax and to whoever runs the joint. I have a lot of things to mention. When we talk about complete hacks. We have exhibit A. End rant.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/19/92c77203c900cb36dcb74290ba7b6fa3.jpg

-Jordan

Romans5.8
08-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Dealers love cheap, quick fixes. And dealer "detailers" are just looking for the cheapest, quickest ways to do things.

Turboclam
08-19-2014, 07:56 PM
I was a Buyer for Carmax from '97-03. We didn't purchase junk then. Maybe things have changed a bit. Cars would get detailed and then they'd go to the interior guys if stains were still visible. Interior techs would fix burn holes/rips/dye carpets or trim. The detailers were paid around $27 per vehicle to fully detail a car/SUV. That's including compound/polish/wax and interior/engine detailing. I worked at one of the smaller stores and they would sell roughly 700 cars a month during the busy months...June, July, Aug.

Someone obviously got sloppy with the can of paint or had terrible lighting.

Romans5.8
08-19-2014, 07:58 PM
I was a Buyer for Carmax from '97-03. We didn't purchase junk then. Maybe things have changed a bit. Cars would get detailed and then they'd go to the interior guys if stains were still visible. Interior techs would fix burn holes/rips/dye carpets or trim. The detailers were paid around $27 per vehicle to fully detail a car/SUV. That's including compound/polish/wax and interior/engine detailing. I worked at one of the smaller stores and they would sell roughly 700 cars a month during the busy months...June, July, Aug.

Someone obviously got sloppy with the can of paint or had terrible lighting.

$27 a car for compounding and everything? I don't do it professionally. Actually, I've never done anything but my own. But that's hard work. I wouldn't even LOOK at your car for $27! LOL.

But I guess, in reality, that's no different than a minimum wage kid doing it for 4 hours. Actually, if you do the math, it's a little more!

FOCUS.FREAK
08-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Here is after my folex and lgm passes. Still didn't take any of the stain out. Anyone have any other secrets?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/19/70a809f04f69de5ce28080c8087c7433.jpg

-Jordan

SANTA3013
08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Steam