PDA

View Full Version : Stripping LSP? How?

Pages : [1] 2

93fox
07-28-2014, 12:27 PM
So im going to polish my car next weekend and i was wondering what would be a good product to use to strip the wax its currently has. I realized i only have maintance soaps so i dont have nothing strong to remove the lsp... I really dont want to place an order for a product i wont get in time... Any OTC products that anyone can recommend? I was thinking of using dawn dish soap... But i hear it deteriorates the trimming? Any tips would be much appreciated! :xyxthumbs:

cleanmycorolla
07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, since you don't want to order something, my options for OTC suggestions are limited. You can try a cleaner wax. If you order from here. Get DP Prep Polish. Best paint cleaner!

Kamakaz1961
07-28-2014, 12:33 PM
I use Dawn and have had no issues. I wash the car then I claybar (I use Nanoskin Blue Sponge) it. That should sufficiently remove the LSP. If you use Dawn and then clay, it will be stripped.

Since I claybar the car, I no longer use Dawn but a car soap. The Sponge is so fast and easy to use I now use that to strip the car after a wash.

That is how I do it, some may see it differently than I do, but this method has been successful to me

trekkeruss
07-28-2014, 12:36 PM
What are you polishing with? It should remove whatever is on the vehicle.

dpk20x
07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
You're gonna polish. The polish will remove any LSP on the paint.

So just wash, clay, then polish.

KISS. Keep it simple Simon.

BobbyG
07-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Depending on how long ago the sealant or wax was applied it's probably pretty much gone now.

Polishing a finish with remove any and all last step protections including coatings such as Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0....

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal & Wax

93fox
07-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Depending on how long ago the sealant or wax was applied it's probably pretty much gone now.

Polishing a finish with remove any and all last step protections including coatings such as Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0....

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal & Wax

Hasnt been long since the car beads like crazy and not a single drop of water will stick to it. I will wash it and add a tiny bit of dawn and then clay it since it does really need to be clayed. Im sure by them the clear should be bare and ready to get polished!

Kamakaz1961
07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Hasnt been long since the car beads like crazy and not a single drop of water will stick to it. I will wash it and add a tiny bit of dawn and then clay it since it does really need to be clayed. Im sure by them the clear should be bare and ready to get polished!

BobbyG is correct. I am assuming you will be doing the same as his 4 steps. IMHO, I think claying the entire car is necessary before polishing. It insures the car is ready for polishing (no contaminants).

Claying to me is a pre-polish step. After the polish I clean (IPA) for the Sealant and (for me) a high quality carnauba wax....all by DA

Fun stuff!!

:buffing:

conman1395
07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
I just stripped my car of sealant and tested a few different methods since I was bored. My only method that can be done OTC would be to use Stoner's Tarminator. Some bug & tar remover's state the product can be used as paint prep; I did not check to see if Tarminator did, but it worked well.
Just work one panel at a time (break it up if outside to avoid drying)
1. Spray panel with Tarminator, wait ~60 sec
2. Wash panel.

Disclaimer(ish): You'll go through a lot of Tarminator if you do the whole car that way. Also, it's probably not good for your health to breathe this much product.

93fox
07-28-2014, 09:03 PM
I just stripped my car of sealant and tested a few different methods since I was bored. My only method that can be done OTC would be to use Stoner's Tarminator. Some bug & tar remover's state the product can be used as paint prep; I did not check to see if Tarminator did, but it worked well.
Just work one panel at a time (break it up if outside to avoid drying)
1. Spray panel with Tarminator, wait ~60 sec
2. Wash panel.

Disclaimer(ish): You'll go through a lot of Tarminator if you do the whole car that way. Also, it's probably not good for your health to breathe this much product.

Hey good idea! I had not thought about that. I may give that a shot but after claying the car im going to wipe it down with a wax and grease remover i use for when i paint cars. Im sure that is going to leave the clear pretty bare ready for polishing! :buffing:

VP Mark
07-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Spike your car wash soap with a little degreaser or apc.

Pre treat with foam with APC.

Any polish will strip right through a wax or sealant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Eandras
07-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Hey good idea! I had not thought about that. I may give that a shot but after claying the car im going to wipe it down with a wax and grease remover i use for when i paint cars. Im sure that is going to leave the clear pretty bare ready for polishing! :buffing:

No need to use the grease remover unless the car has a lot of grease on it. Just use an IPA wipe down between steps.

Ed

Hazcat
07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the wax and grease remover he is referring to is basically like an IPA wipe down...not unlike mineral spirits.

93fox
07-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the wax and grease remover he is referring to is basically like an IPA wipe down...not unlike mineral spirits.

Correct. It could be better... It leaves the surface perfectly clean and uncontaminated from oils, waxes, grease, etc. This is what is needed to be used prior to painting. Ask any painter what happens when the panels are not wiped down down correctly prior to painting. Its every painters nightmare... So yes ill be using that as a wipe down after claying. Thanks everyone for the numerous tips! :xyxthumbs:

MattPersman
07-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Yes I use acrysol to wipe down after washing, it is a body shop product too before painting works well for a fresh start.