PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a bare metal+fully polished wheel

Pages : [1] 2

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I'll be recieving some wheels soon that have a fresh bare metal (no clear coat) fully polished finish on them; after doing some searching on this site I realized it was more of a challange than previously expected- but I'm up for the challange :hungry:

This is my plan- Please advise if I should take a different route/choose another product. I have not ordered anything yet, so I don't mind one bit.

I'm planning on going the PBW wheel sealant route because after reading up on the other products they seem a little 'harsh' thats not the most ideal verbiage but I can't think of the right word the very second. The other sealant products offer a very long period of protection by statements like "a second clear coat" or "2 year protection." If I did go that route would it take away from any of the shine of the bare metal polish? I was told that if I did spray a clear on the wheel after the polish that it would not be as shiny and that the imperfections of the polish would be more evident; thats why I opted for the bare metal finish w/o clear.

I was also thinking about getting some CarPro eraser to clean them up before applying the PBW if I do in fact decide to go down that route. Someone told me to get some Optimum Metal Polish. If I do, when is this applied in process? From my understanding, (going down the route I'm going) I would first clean with the CarPro eraser, then apply the PBW? OR does the Polish go in-between these two steps?

-Do you prefer the CarPro eraser over the P21s; have you used both? Or did you suggest the CarPro in particular for my case?

-Really noob question: I'm assuming you mentioned getting a "power ball" type product for the polishing or do I need to use that for the PWB as well?

Thanks,

John

:buffing:

Mike Phillips
07-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I'll be receiving some wheels soon that have a fresh bare metal (no clear coat) fully polished finish on them; after doing some searching on this site I realized it was more of a challenge than previously expected- but I'm up for the challenge :hungry:

This is my plan- Please advise if I should take a different route/choose another product. I have not ordered anything yet, so I don't mind one bit.

I'm planning on going the PBW wheel sealant route because after reading up on the other products they seem a little 'harsh' thats not the most ideal verbiage but I can't think of the right word the very second. The other sealant products offer a very long period of protection by statements like "a second clear coat" or "2 year protection." If I did go that route would it take away from any of the shine of the bare metal polish? I was told that if I did spray a clear on the wheel after the polish that it would not be as shiny and that the imperfections of the polish would be more evident; thats why I opted for the bare metal finish w/o clear.

I was also thinking about getting some CarPro eraser to clean them up before applying the PBW if I do in fact decide to go down that route. Someone told me to get some Optimum Metal Polish. If I do, when is this applied in process? From my understanding, (going down the route I'm going) I would first clean with the CarPro eraser, then apply the PBW? OR does the Polish go in-between these two steps?

-Do you prefer the CarPro eraser over the P21s; have you used both? Or did you suggest the CarPro in particular for my case?

-Really noob question: I'm assuming you mentioned getting a "power ball" type product for the polishing or do I need to use that for the PWB as well?

Thanks,

John

:buffing:

Hi John,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Congratulations on the new wheels, I'm a big fan of polished aluminum wheels.

I'd start first with getting a good aluminum polish so you can put into practice this old saying,

"Find something you like and use it often" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

Here's what that means,

If you like a product, that usually means you like the experience of using it which includes application, that is you like how the product applies. It also tends to mean you like how the product removes, that is you like how the product wipes-off. It can also mean you like how fast or slow it dries or the fact that it doesn't have to dry at all and you can wipe it off immediately.

And usually and most important, it means you like how it makes the paint on your car look and that's a huge part of the big picture of owning and enjoying your car, truck or s.u.v. or special interest car.

You can't really know which product you like best until you've used a variety of products so finding something you like and using it often means you have to do some research and at some point make some purchases and then go out into your garage and do some testing to gain real world knowledge and experience.

At some point you will find a product you like and if you use it often then your car's paint will always look good because it's only when you neglect your car's paint that it goes downhill.

Just the simple act of applying and working-in and over the paint a smooth, creamy product, (that is formulated to make paint look good), has a polishing-effect and if done on a regular basis will preserve and maintain a clear, glossy finish and isn't that the primary goal of those that consider them serious car enthusiasts?

How often you have to repeat this process to maintain your car's finish to a quality level you expect for your car's appearance depends upon how the car is used and where it's parked when not in use.

A daily driver that is parked outside most of the time, either at work or at home, will need to be maintained more regularly than a Garage Queen that is only driven on sunny days. So adjust your car maintenance schedule to fit your lifestyle and the way you use your car.

>>>>>>>>>>End of article<<<<<<<<<<<<

Aluminum is going to oxidize and get stains and spots over time so in order to keep them looking great you're going to have to polish them once in a while so you need to find something you like and use it as needed.

I'd look at the foam polishing balls from Mothers and Meguiar's, even Flitz and all these brands come as kits with a polish included.

Maybe start a thread with a tile that states you want opinions or recommendations for a aluminum wheel polishing kit.

Then with it comes to a wax or sealant for wheels, I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

You're also going to want to get a wheel cleaner that is safe for polished aluminum as you're wheels, even with a wheel wax, sealant or coating, are going to get

Road Film
Brake Dust

And you're going to need the wheel cleaner to break the bond these two contaminants will have to the aluminum. I think Mothers and Meguiar's both make dedicated polished aluminum wheel cleaners.

:)

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Hi John,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Congratulations on the new wheels, I'm a big fan of polished aluminum wheels.

I'd start first with getting a good aluminum polish so you can put into practice this old saying,

"Find something you like and use it often" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

Here's what that means,

If you like a product, that usually means you like the experience of using it which includes application, that is you like how the product applies. It also tends to mean you like how the product removes, that is you like how the product wipes-off. It can also mean you like how fast or slow it dries or the fact that it doesn't have to dry at all and you can wipe it off immediately.

And usually and most important, it means you like how it makes the paint on your car look and that's a huge part of the big picture of owning and enjoying your car, truck or s.u.v. or special interest car.

You can't really know which product you like best until you've used a variety of products so finding something you like and using it often means you have to do some research and at some point make some purchases and then go out into your garage and do some testing to gain real world knowledge and experience.

At some point you will find a product you like and if you use it often then your car's paint will always look good because it's only when you neglect your car's paint that it goes downhill.

Just the simple act of applying and working-in and over the paint a smooth, creamy product, (that is formulated to make paint look good), has a polishing-effect and if done on a regular basis will preserve and maintain a clear, glossy finish and isn't that the primary goal of those that consider them serious car enthusiasts?

How often you have to repeat this process to maintain your car's finish to a quality level you expect for your car's appearance depends upon how the car is used and where it's parked when not in use.

A daily driver that is parked outside most of the time, either at work or at home, will need to be maintained more regularly than a Garage Queen that is only driven on sunny days. So adjust your car maintenance schedule to fit your lifestyle and the way you use your car.

>>>>>>>>>>End of article<<<<<<<<<<<<

Aluminum is going to oxidize and get stains and spots over time so in order to keep them looking great you're going to have to polish them once in a while so you need to find something you like and use it as needed.

I'd look at the foam polishing balls from Mothers and Meguiar's, even Flitz and all these brands come as kits with a polish included.

Maybe start a thread with a tile that states you want opinions or recommendations for a aluminum wheel polishing kit.

Then with it comes to a wax or sealant for wheels, I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

You're also going to want to get a wheel cleaner that is safe for polished aluminum as you're wheels, even with a wheel wax, sealant or coating, are going to get

Road Film
Brake Dust

And you're going to need the wheel cleaner to break the bond these two contaminants will have to the aluminum. I think Mothers and Meguiar's both make dedicated polished aluminum wheel cleaners.

:)

Thanks for the welcome and quick response!

-Are both the CarPro Eraser and the P21S safe for my wheels? If so, would you recommend both?

-What would be the correct steps upon receiving the wheels? From my understanding:
1) Use the CarPro eraser or some type of cleaner to get rid of any contaminants.
2) Not sure if I use the sealant here or the polish.
3) See response in step 2.

If you have any other reccomendations to any additional products or steps I would greatly appreciate it. Also, after the initial coating is done; for the routine cleaning, do I repeat the same steps? Once I get the steps down, I will make another thread like you suggested.

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 07:39 PM
ttt

Kingston
07-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I've stripped and polished my fair share of bikes and wheels and have found that leaving it bare is often the best idea, if you don't drive in salt. Just polish it for days and a few coats of good wax. And before you know it.....you're doing it again. But my goodness does it look good after.

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 08:51 PM
I'll be recieving some wheels soon that have a fresh bare metal (no clear coat) fully polished finish on them; after doing some searching on this site I realized it was more of a challange than previously expected- but I'm up for the challange :buffing:

-Are both the CarPro Eraser and the P21S safe for my wheels? If so, would you recommend both?

-What would be the correct steps upon receiving the wheels? From my understanding:
1) Use the CarPro eraser or some type of cleaner to get rid of any contaminants.
2) Not sure if I use the sealant here or the polish.
3) See response in step 2.

If you have any other reccomendations to any additional products or steps I would greatly appreciate it. Also, after the initial coating is done; for the routine cleaning, do I repeat the same steps? Once I get the steps down, I will make another thread like you suggested.

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 09:09 PM
I've stripped and polished my fair share of bikes and wheels and have found that leaving it bare is often the best idea, if you don't drive in salt. Just polish it for days and a few coats of good wax. And before you know it.....you're doing it again. But my goodness does it look good after.

Would you suggest treating them right away? I've been looking into the Meg's G3400 kit to polish them and coat them with PBW wheel sealant. But off a fresh polish from the wheel shop, do I need to just coat them or polish and then coat?

dfwjohnd
07-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Also, I've been looking into the Meg's G3400 kit to polish them and coat them with PBW wheel sealant. But off a fresh polish from the wheel shop, do I need to just coat them or polish and then coat?

Kingston
07-28-2014, 10:18 PM
With bare aluminum you can polish it all night long and still keep pulling up oxidation. I would say get them to a point that you are satisfied with, or are worn out, then wax them. I dont think sealant will matter because no matter what they will oxidize quickly. Its constant maintenance but at least you can control how shiny they get.

oldmodman
07-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Over the last thirty years I have tried every form of Mouse Milk that has come down the pike.

Only one thing ever worked.

Zoop Seal. It's expensive and complicated to use but it works better than anything I have ever tried on bare aluminum.

I applied it to some Akront motorcycle rims that were going on a turbo race bike at Bonneville Salt Flats. Those rims looked absolutely brand new after three years of competition on the salt. All that was ever done to maintain them was a soap and water wash when we got back to Los Angeles.

The product is now called Shine Seal, but is made by the same guys.

I am not going to put up a link because Meghan says no no:xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
07-28-2014, 11:03 PM
I would never and I mean never own polished aluminum wheels again. I already have a part time job taking care of my black car and don't need another one taking care of my wheels.

KillaCam
07-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Over the last thirty years I have tried every form of Mouse Milk that has come down the pike.

Only one thing ever worked.

Zoop Seal. It's expensive and complicated to use but it works better than anything I have ever tried on bare aluminum.

I applied it to some Akront motorcycle rims that were going on a turbo race bike at Bonneville Salt Flats. Those rims looked absolutely brand new after three years of competition on the salt. All that was ever done to maintain them was a soap and water wash when we got back to Los Angeles.

The product is now called Shine Seal, but is made by the same guys.

I am not going to put up a link because Meghan says no no:xyxthumbs:

How does that product resist water spotting? That's my biggest problem with my polished aluminum wheels. They don't really get dull they just constantly get water spots.

FUNX650
07-28-2014, 11:41 PM
...:confused:...

@ 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/83279-advice-bare-metal-fully-polished-wheel.html

@ 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83300-bare-fully-polished-aluminum-wheels.html

Bob

dfwjohnd
07-29-2014, 12:00 AM
How does that product resist water spotting? That's my biggest problem with my polished aluminum wheels. They don't really get dull they just constantly get water spots.

After watching the video, it doesn't seem like this product will do anything in terms of protecting against water spots... Thinking on it, I don't think anything will.

At this point, I'm just looking to protect it and steps in regards of taking care of them.

dfwjohnd
07-29-2014, 12:11 AM
...:confused:...

@ 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/83279-advice-bare-metal-fully-polished-wheel.html

@ 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83300-bare-fully-polished-aluminum-wheels.html

Bob

Since you took the time to point that out- If you could of held off and rear a couple more sentences; you would've seen where he suggest I make a thread asking more specific questions... That's what I did here. Im the MAN