PDA

View Full Version : KAIO Application: Carnauba Glaze Before?

Pages : [1] 2

greggle
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Greetings, all.

Over the next two days I plan to perform a modest detail. High-level steps (excluding washes, wipedowns, tape) as follows...

Clay
Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion
XMT Carnauba Glaze??
KAIO??
KSG
Wax

My questions is whether I do the carnauba glaze before or after the KAIO. The steps outlined here (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html) suggest the glaze first. This seems counterintuitive to me.

What say you, geeks? Don't hesitate to critique the whole workflow. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

-Thanks!

cleanmycorolla
07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
I'd skip the glaze. You want a clean surface for the Klasse. Also, no need for all that layering. Either lay down two layers a Klasse or one layer with a wax topper. Unneeded layers IMO.

Good luck

Desertnate
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Agree about skipping the glaze. In the list you included, the Klasse AIO would remove it anyway.

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to get rid of swirls, I'd replace the glaze with a polishing step.

greggle
07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I'd skip the glaze. You want a clean surface for the Klasse. Also, no need for all that layering. Either lay down two layers a Klasse or one layer with a wax topper. Unneeded layers IMO.

Good luck

Agree about skipping the glaze. In the list you included, the Klasse AIO would remove it anyway.

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to get rid of swirls, I'd replace the glaze with a polishing step.

Good info, guys. Thanks!

As of now, I'm not trying to get rid of swirls really. I did a reasonable correction in May. However, we'll see what's what after the cleansing lotion. Might have to break out the XMT Ultra-Fine!

So I'm thinking the following may be my amended flow...

Clay
Cleansing lotion
--Possible swirl remover--
KAIO
KSG (maybe eliminate this step?)
Wax (cause I got a sample I want to try!)

Removed carnauba glaze step. Added possible swirl removal. Possibly remove KSG application?

-Thanks!

trekkeruss
07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Clay
Cleansing lotion
KAIO

If you're going to do that, I would swap positions 2 and 3. But if I was using KAIO, I would skip 2 and 3 altogether, since the Klasse product does the same exact thing.

cleanmycorolla
07-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Good info, guys. Thanks!

As of now, I'm not trying to get rid of swirls really. I did a reasonable correction in May. However, we'll see what's what after the cleansing lotion. Might have to break out the XMT Ultra-Fine!

Clay
Cleansing lotion
KAIO

Removed carnauba glaze step. Added possible swirl removal. Possibly remove KSG application?

-Thanks!
You don't need a cleansing lotion if you're using a swirl remover it's an unneeded step if you choose to do correction.

Desertnate
07-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Good info, guys. Thanks!

Clay
Cleansing lotion
KAIO

-Thanks!

If you are going to skip the KSG, then I'd skip the KAIO since I assume the cleansing lotion to be a paint cleaner.

I think your next decision point should be the longevity of the protection your putting on your car. Most traditional carnauba waxes won't last as long as the sealant. If you have the time and desire to wax more frequently, I'd skip the KSG. The Houston climate won't require the same level of protection over the winter that maxes less durable waxes a problem. If you want something that will last you months, I'd stick with the plan as you laid it out.

aim4squirrels
07-28-2014, 01:58 PM
How about:

Wash
KAIO if no actual polishing with an abrasive will be done.
KSG x2 or 3. Give a minimum of 4 hours between applications. 12 is better, but time may be a factor.

You will be happy with the looks.

The Guz
07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I had great success with the following when I used the klasse twins

1. Wash
2. Clay/Nanoskin
3. Polish. I used M205
4. KAIO
5. KSG. 2 coats
6. Maintained with Sonus Acrylic Spritz and Acrylic Glanz.

I got 7 months out of this and could have gone a couple more easily. But I wanted to try something else. I used no toppers with klasse.

greggle
07-28-2014, 06:01 PM
So I completed the KAIO, eliminating the carnauba glaze step. As it turns out, I probably should've done some correction. :doh: I plan to do that in October as part of my paint maintenance plan, which leads me to my next thought.

Since I'll be doing a correction in October, ~ three months from now, I'm debating eliminating the KSG and sticking with a wax. As nate mentioned, living in Houston I don't require the same winter protections some others do. Not sure yet. I'll continue checking the thread, then weigh it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far!

trekkeruss
07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Why would you choose the wax over KSG? What wax is it?

greggle
07-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Why would you choose the wax over KSG? What wax is it?

Bouncer's Vanilla Ice.

The Guz
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I ended up going to a more traditional sealant Meguiar's M21 and M26. If I need more protection then I will go with klasse. But in sunny and dry So Cal a typical sealant is good enough. I was sort of testing out klasse when I used it.

FUNX650
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm debating eliminating the KSG and sticking with a wax. As nate mentioned, living in Houston I don't require the same winter protections some others do. Not sure yet.
Automotive waxes can get pretty sticky in hot climates.

If I were you...I'd use the Klasse Sealant.
It's really not meant to be used in/for only
colder conditions/Winter...it's a 4-Season-LSP!

Bob

trekkeruss
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
JMHO, since you say it's apparent the car needs correction, I wouldn't waste such an expensive wax by using it now. Use the KSG now, and the wax in the Fall.