PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on a paint sealant and wax combo

NLS8520
07-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new car, a white pearl color and I was curious what is the best sealant and wax combo available? I really want something that is foolproof in application, is long lasting and has nice beading and sheeting properties. I am not too concerned with price, say under $250 for both. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I did search, and although found a few ideas I did not find much for a pearl white color.

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Okay, so before applying these fancy waxes and sealant, at least wash and clay, get the most out of them! Perhaps decon and polish too, if you want to further enhance the look....

To answer your question, you're going to get a million different answers from all sorts of people, ultimately it comes down to what you are feeling/wanting. With that said, I love Liquid Souveran under Souveran Paste. Blackfire Wet Diamond and Midnight Sun topper is always fun. CG Blacklight and CG 50/50 Wax is a fav of mine, I also enjoy Menz Power Lock with Menz Color Lock on top!

Have fun

David Hayward
07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
I find the detailers paint coating to be very very simple to apply compared to other options and has looked great on dark and light colored cars. Here is a writeup Mike did on a new jeep. What type of equipment and products do you already have?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/69413-cleaned-coated-3-hours-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee.html

swanicyouth
07-27-2014, 09:16 PM
If your looking to top a sealant with a wax - I'd go with the BlackFire combo (Midnight Sun over All Finish Paint Protection). This is really the best combo out there like this in my opinion, probably because the 2 products were designed with similar polymers to work together and enhance each other. It's just one of the best looking things you can put on paint.

Booth products are almost idiot proof to use and you get like a zillion applications per package. I'm sure AG sells a kit with these two with some additional goodies in it.

Now, if your not looking to spend like a hundred bucks, I'd go with PowerLock topped with P21S Concours. That's also a nice combo you can get for about 1/2 the price.

If your a big time daddy baller and got more money than you know what to do with, I'd check out Pinnacle Black Label Paint Sealant & Synergy wax. I haven't tried the paint sealant yet, but Synergy is quickly rising to be one of my favorite waxes. In reality, you could likely just get Synergy and skip the sealant. I'm doing a durability test of it now, but Synergy should outlast conventional sealants topped by conventional waxes on it's own. It's application is pretty much fool proof as well.

conman1395
07-27-2014, 09:17 PM
I have a Premium White Pearl TSX and currently have Blackfire Wet Diamond on it. I'm about to strip it off and use Duragloss 105/601 combo since I'm off to college in a little less than a month.
Honestly though bud, prep the paint right. This is especially true for white cars since carnuba waxes aren't going to give the paint a warm, deep, wet, (or whatever you want to call it) look like you would on darker colors.

FUNX650
07-27-2014, 09:31 PM
If you must have a Sealant/Wax Combo...
Then I'll suggest:

-Meguiar's 21 2.0 (Sealant)...Meguiar's M26 (Paste Wax)

-Wolfgang DGPS (Sealant)...Mothers California Gold (Paste Wax)

-The Klasse Twins (Sealant) with either: P21S/S100 (Paste Wax)

Bob

inDetail
07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
You are going to get many different opinions.
First the only thing that makes paint shine is polishing. If the paint is polished to perfection nothing you can put on it to make it shine anymore or the color look any better.
IMO - Color specific or color charged waxes are a gimmick. The only thing it will charge the color of are your towels and applicators. If it looks good on black it will look good on white.
Don't believe a wax when it tells you the percentage of nuba in the wax. Because it is so hard it is impossible to make a wax that is anymore then 35% by volume.
If durability is the first priority I would do a coating if you feel comfortable doing one but the paint needs to be surgically clean. It's not something you can do outside.
When it comes to durability I would say Collinite 476 or 845. Both are outstanding waxes with long durability and exceptionally well priced for what you are getting. They can both out perform waxes twice or three times the cost.
If you choose one of those waxes you won't need a sealant.
Sealants can be funny. Sometimes when they cure the paint will seem like it has a plastic coating on it. My favorite that does not have the plastic look to it is BF APP. It's great stuff. I'm about 2 months on a daily driver and it still beads.
So the best bang for your buck, easy because you don't need a sealant and last long are one of the Collnite waxes.
There are plenty of great waxes but you need to read between the lines Purchase a trusted brand with good reviews based on your needs.
Another wax gaining steam is Soft99 Fusso coat from Japan. Difficult to get in the states. Cheap,claimed 12 month durability and sheets like a coating. It's a synthetic so no natural waxes. You can get 12 months out of 476

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
First the only thing that makes paint shine is polishing. If the paint is polished to perfection nothing you can put on it to make it shine anymore or the color look any better.
IMO - Color specific or color charged waxes are a gimmick. The only thing it will charge the color of are your towels and applicators.

This thread is an enjoyable read on color changing waxes.
DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour Charging 2... no hype, no BS, just the TEST RESULTS (http://forum.dodojuice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2011)

FUNX650
07-27-2014, 10:33 PM
^^^That's true!^^^

Even when regarding the below statement:

IMHO:
Meguiar's M26: Completely blows the above "theory" out of the water!!

Bob

wdmaccord
07-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Personally, on white pearl, I like a glassy high gloss look. I just don't appreciate wax as much on a white car as I do on black. So for white, I will usually go with BFWD topped with 2 coats of BF Crystal Seal. If you still want to go for the wax look, you can top the above process with BF Midnight Sun Paste Wax.

Akf75
07-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Great time for my question, I just got an 14' audi q5 bright white and debating whether or not to use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or
Pinnacle XMT 180 High Gloss Carnauba Paste Wax on it or both. I am new to sealants and white cars. Any hsuggestions would help. Thanks!

inDetail
07-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Of course, you can use any colour wax on any colour car.

You can use a dark wax on a light car so you can see where it has gone.

And you can use a wax without any colour in whatsoever, for absolute purity, which is why we made Supernatural. (Although you could always use Diamond White or Light Fantastic).

The 'general' waxes, Rainforest Rub and Hard Candy were mid-tone and cheaper than the rest. We were happy for these to sell the best and for only the adventurous to buy 'colour charged' waxes.

At no point was there any marketing or 'hype' beyond, for example, putting the Dodo wax made 'for dark coloured cars' on Purple Haze and Blue Velvet, on labels and on the website. It had after all, been made by us, specifically for dark coloured cars... but maybe we needed a big asterisk saying 'but you can use it on any colour and it won't matter that much'. :thumb:

Fast forward a few years and we are bigger and better known, and there's a detailing 'expert' on every forum. Newbies worry about coloured waxes unduly and the village elders like to pronounce that colour makes little or no difference. Well, it makes very little difference (assuming you don't want to apply a dark wax on a light car for ease of application) because waxes all tend to do a similar job and they all buff down to a sub-micron level. If you cover your whole car in a layer of coloured wax, you'd have to have bionic eyes to see the difference compared to a colour-free wax. To the naked eye and casual onlooker it makes 'no difference' in practice, no matter what is actually physically going on with the paint. There is a technical difference, but not a practical one...

A while back, I posted a colour charging demonstration up on our forum. We knew coloured waxes made little real world difference, but were the cynics right when they said it made 'absolutely no difference at all'? We found them to be wrong. The darkening effect of purple haze, multi layered, on a red panel showed a dark area where the wax had been. DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour charging - a demonstration... (http://dodojuice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653) The result was seen again when I applied Purple Haze Pro in two layers to the side of our white van. It was dusk and I was at AndyC's. He saw the effect for himself... we were doing a 50/50 test and you could see a slight darkening where the wax had been after buffing.

We didn't care much about the tests because the wax range was for variety and fun, and they all worked well. People had their favourites, but it isn't a big thing for us - or wasn't until we came under fire for 'cynical' marketing practices and 'hype', all based on an assumption that because people were wanting dark waxes for dark cars we must have misled them by merely making them available. We hadn't deliberately misled people, but people did sell the idea to themselves. And we still spend our time on PMs, emails and at shows playing down the colourings.
Straight from the Dodo.
They make great waxes and good products. I looked at the photos and I don't know anyone who is going to put more then 2 coats of wax on a car. In the photos where they had the one and two coats you cannot even see the difference until the contrast was bounced up in imaging software.
Like I said if it looks good on black it will look good on white.

dlc95
07-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Some I've used recently:

Meguiar's NXT 2.0, with Gold Class Carnauba + over it.

Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, with M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax over it.

Surf City Garage Nano Seal, with Barrier Reef Carnauba Paste over it.

Duragloss 101, with Zymol Creame over it.

Duragloss 111, with Zymol Carbon.

My two favorites are the ULW/M26, and 111/Carbon. Love them!

Tacket
07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Two that's I've used lately were WG DGS + Meg's Gold Class Carnauba (on a blue/green Corolla) and WG DGS + DP Max Wax (on a Sedona Red BMW). Honestly I almost preferred just the look of the sealant alone on that BMW (which has an almost orange metallic flake in the red paint).