PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Total Polish & Seal Question

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan509
07-27-2014, 05:49 PM
When i used BFTPS on an 08 ram with between moderate to heavy swirls it did not do what i expected? I used an orange pad on speed 5 with a griots 6" DA (white pad wasn't enough) But I would say i only got about 25-35% correction. Now i understand it's not meant for 80% correction but i was expecting more like 50%-65% Could i have done somthing wrong? Vehicle was clayed/tar removed before hand. Only reason i chose a 1 step is because i don't have the time to do a full polish

5jjt
07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Honestly, I tried using the same product two weeks ago for light cobwebbs on a 2012 caravan. Orange pad, white pad, red pad, at various speeds and dwell time. HIGHLY dissappointed to say the least. An accumulation of experiences like these speak volumes about products, marketing and ACTUAL value of a product vs what they are being sold for. Know what i mean?

BlackRam
07-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Its got a real light cut. It cleans the paint nicely but barely gets rid of swirls.
i do keep it in my arsenal though

tedj101
07-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Honestly, I tried using the same product two weeks ago for light cobwebbs on a 2012 caravan. Orange pad, white pad, red pad, at various speeds and dwell time. HIGHLY dissappointed to say the least. An accumulation of experiences like these speak volumes about products, marketing and ACTUAL value of a product vs what they are being sold for. Know what i mean?

If you look up BFTPNS on the polish chart you will see that it is rated at a 1 - which is about a jeweling rate. BF Finishing Polish is a 3 (and it will only do light swirls depending on how hard the paint is). Megs 205 is a 4. You can't expect a 1 to do the job of a 6 or 7 (which is what most correcting compounds are).

wdmaccord
07-27-2014, 06:20 PM
I think Ram's have medium to hard clear. You just won't get much from TPnS in that situation. TPnS is good for situations where you are already working with very good paint with only minor imperfections IME. Unfortunate since the rapid fire is a very good/quick combo for production details. BF needs to come out with a Total Compound and Seal. :props:

A car with soft paint you can reach 50% or so improvement. I suspect a closed cell flat pad, like LC hydrotech, might bring more to the table as well.

Ryan509
07-27-2014, 07:12 PM
I plan on doing a black toyota tundra & a subaru STI... I imagine the subaru will come out decently well but the black tundra may not even though it has a soft paint.... it is a black truck..lol.

I do have the mothers 3 step system. Again it's just very time consuming. Would i be able to use mothers step 1 then go ahead and use BFTPS? Or would that not fix any minor swirls left?

TurboToys
07-27-2014, 07:23 PM

no... don't know what you mean. people would do well to read product descriptions and research before buying, and then we wouldn't have posts like this.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

shows BFTP+S as a 1 on the scale.

and the description clearly states that it is for fine swirl removal. not full correction.

Features:

Removes light swirls, dullness, and mild oxidation from paint.
Removes paint contamination.
High grade paint sealant and polish in one.
Dust-free and easy to remove.
Can be applied by hand or machine.
Clear coat safe.

of course "light" can mean any number of things to people, as there is no way to tell whether or not they are actually light, or the paint is hard, etc etc. test and continue, but the product obviously does what it claims to do. but just because it doesn't do what you wanted it to do for your specific application, doesn't make it a bad product

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Actually, it's supposed to have minimal cut and is rated as so. Know before ya go bro! :xyxthumbs:

Ryan509
07-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah i guess thats my bad... I did do research and all that. But i guess i was just expecting more. I do have use for this product though. I have a week in august off so i'll be doing a full mothers 3 step polish (which will come with a review since there aren't many)

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey "TurboToys" your link is from a completely different site first of all. Secondly, tell me this quote by Blackfire from AG isn't misleading (remember TurboToys, we ARE on AG), "BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal is a light swirl remover..." (It did NOTHING noticable to my eye for my paint and it very light cobwebbing). Last, but not least: "Clean paint in far less time than a complete three-step detailing process." Need I say more "TurboToys"

That site is owned by AG and PBMG, and the former head there, Todd Helme, was the brains behind Blackfire for years, if anyone knows how it works it him, that forum and chart. So that link is actually the ideal place to turn too, for the exact info. So thats some info for ya....

Also, it is a light swirl remover, cars have different paint systems, not every product reacts the same. I have used about two-three bottles of BFTPNS and it's never been a let down. I've used TPNS with a white pad on numerous cars and gotten the light swirl removal it promised, again depends on the paint! Also, it does clean paint fast, it's one step. Not 3.

But if it doesn't work for you rock on with other stuff, but its a great product and a tremendous base for all Blackfire LSPs. And a great pick me up for a DD.

Ryan509
07-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I will admit the truck was already shiny, didn't think i could get much more of a shine out of it. Boy was i wrong in that sense, It really cleaned it up nicely (minus the swirls) It definetly did cover some of them up though. Like i said i got about 15% correction. I also used it on the chrome tailpipe & bedrails. Worked amazing. I will use this in the future forsure along with my XMT 360 AIO. Definetly a good upkeep AIO

Todd@RUPES
07-27-2014, 08:42 PM
UPDATED: Autopia Car Care Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/38719-updated-autopia-car-care-polish-comparison-chart.html)

Todd@RUPES
07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
BLACKFIRE TPnS will remove some light swirl marks, but it doesn't have a ton of cut. Formulating an AIO is tricky business, the more abrasive material (and more aggressive the abrasive material is) in the solution, the less protection, gloss and shine you can put into it. BLACKFIRE TPnS does have some abrasives, but it is a chemical cleaner as well. It will improve gloss and remove fine swirl marks.

Remember paint hardness plays a huge factor, as does the actual depth (not frequency) of the marks.

Todd@RUPES
07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
That site is owned by AG and PBMG, and the former head there, Todd Helme, was the brains behind Blackfire for years, if anyone knows how it works it him, that forum and chart. So that link is actually the ideal place to turn too, for the exact info. So thats some info for ya....

Also, it is a light swirl remover, cars have different paint systems, not every product reacts the same. I have used about two-three bottles of BFTPNS and it's never been a let down. I've used TPNS with a white pad on numerous cars and gotten the light swirl removal it promised, again depends on the paint! Also, it does clean paint fast, it's one step. Not 3.

But if it doesn't work for you rock on with other stuff, but its a great product and a tremendous base for all Blackfire LSPs. And a great pick me up for a DD.

:xyxthumbs:

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2014, 09:02 PM
:xyxthumbs:

Dude, you've risen, LOVE IT!

How's retirement?:xyxthumbs: