PDA

View Full Version : does the car value retains its value when it is maintained?

sito
07-27-2014, 05:16 PM
does the car value retains its value when it is maintained?

davidc
07-27-2014, 05:30 PM
does the car value retains its value when it is maintained?

It would be on the higher side of blue book than vehicles that are not maintained. If the vehicle shows that it has been taken care of and not just paint but mechanical issues also the more money a seller can get.

Dave

jamesboyy
07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
As we all know a vehicle loses some value as it come from the dealer and will keep loseing value over time but if the vehicle is cared for properly(paint, engine, no accidents etc) then your vehicle will be worth more when it comes time to sell it if you do and if you keep it years later it may be worth more than you brought for when there is very few of them in world also the mileage you put on the vehicle also plays a big part too

Coopers ST
07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Not sure if it has more value, but if selling on your own and not trading in it should be a easier sell. If you went and looked at two (insert cars here) both the same make and model and year, one had a shoe box full of receipts from everything done except gas, the other had a seller saying it had it done what car would you buy? I keep every receipt, mailing, everything that came with the car in a binder. I have all the paper work from buying it, window sticker, the book the dealer has on the wall that talks about the car and the options, every receipt for everything on the car. I got a mailing for a recall, I kept the letter with the receipt that it was done. 50 years from now it may be worth more than another car without all the documentation, but in 5 when I sell it, someone will say this guy took care of this car, I can see he changed the oil, did the preventive maintenance, had a nail in a tire but got it fixed.

Kingston
07-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Of course it helps maintain value. Bigger thing it does is gives you negotiating power at the dealership. You'll be able to get maximum trade in because you can show them how well its been taken care of, therefore, costing the dealer less money in cleaning and service before they can sell it. When you're sitting in the showroom and 3 others are trying to trade in their cars, yours will be much cleaner and thats your negotiating power. Also makes the dealer realize you know what your talking about and your car is the type of vehicle dealers want, either them, or you can go to the dealer down the street. They know that, you know that, and thats the best advantage you can get.

PrismDetailing
07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Does it maintain value, slightly! But what it more maintains is appeal, if your talking about selling privately and Mr Joe Bloggs goes to see two cars, same car, same spec, same mileage but one the paintwork is maintained (as is the rest of the car) compared to one which isnt, obviously they will choose the better one.

I have sold a few of my old cars and every time they sold without even a test drive, which is funny because i wouldnt buy a car without a test drive regardless how it looks)

Chevota Guy
07-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Vehicle depreciation is based on age, miles, location, local market value and unfortunately, the paint shine condition doesn't matter much, if at all.

I will say however, that maintaining my vehicles in top swirl free conditions have been a major positive factor for me when selling my own vehicles on CL or auto trader. Prospective buyers often don't see why, but they point out how great and shiny my years vehicles look. So a little (not too much) education about how and why I maintain the exterior has gotten some excellent responses.

One guy told me that no one cares for his truck like I have, and didn't even want to negotiate the price!

So I guess it really depends on the value one is looking for.........wholesale buyers, don't care, a person who appreciates the dedication will pay for the past work and dedication.

FUNX650
07-27-2014, 08:29 PM
I look at it this way:

-Sure, a clean and well maintained vehicle may very well have a higher re-sell value than its unkempt counterpart...
But:
-What is its rate of depreciation vs. its perceived retained value...after a given number of years.

IMO:
-It's daggone near impossible for a vehicle to overcome losing 40-60% of its value after just 3-5 years of of ownership...regardless the number of "wash&waxes", and timeliness of oil changes, etc. a vehicle receives.

-How about after 25, 35, 40 or more years of ownership? Perhaps.
Supply&Demand sometimes overcomes a lot of that depreciation.

Bob

Kingston
07-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Agree and don't. Far as wholesalers not caring....it depends. Being a detailer I have a much more keen eye for things that even 40 year veterans of the business dont see. But will I bid more for a super clean car? sort if, but much more from a mechanical standpoint than a visual one because I know that I can make it look good myself, but put value in the fact that it needs little service work. My experience has been that most wholesalers dont put much value in super clean cars, actually, many of them have the attitude that something can actually be "too clean" to the point where the customer doesn't believe its even possible and wonders how it got that way ...ie. repaint etc....

But it is true that most of the depreciation is in the year make and model, not the fact that it's swirl free. Of course many times you are bidding/buying a car when its cloudy, raining, dark etc...and can't even see how nice the finish really is. Thats why I say it gives you negotiating leverage, but little else. "Hey mr salesman, my 2008 impala is the cleanest one in town so I deserve more for it or I'm going to the other guy down the street and giving him my business because he understands that its going to save him man hours by not having clean it". That sort of thing

Kingston
07-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Thats right, Bob. Supply and demand is important in everything. Perfect example is mercedes s550. The auction runs several of them a week, problem is there are very few buyers for used ones. Most people who can afford one want a new one. Saw one sell at the sale last week that was in great shape, a 2011 with 40k, sold for $36,500. The car still had the window sticker in the glove box. Original price $102,000. Of course thats probably not the type of vehicle OP is driving, but for a lot of brands, especially german ones, thats very common. I drive a c class as a DD, and it has lost about 50% of its original price in the first 3 years. And I'm talking retail value.

Shortspark
07-28-2014, 05:52 AM
I agree that the German brands loose a lot of value after just a few years. I bought an ML350 new in 2012 and I would be lucky to get 50% back today in the market I am in. For the last several cars I have owned I did not trade but rather sold my car to individuals. With Craigslist and other internet options you can reach a lot of folks quickly and cheaply. Since my cars are showroom clean and low mileage, I have no difficulty getting the top Kelly BB price. I think the difference is that a car sold to an individual will sell quicker and at the top range of Kelly than one not kept up very well. As far as dealers are concerned, I would avoid trading my car in for a new one because regardless the condition and appearance you are going to get low balled every time. And even if you think you are getting a killer trade-in offer, they are making up for it at the new car end.

tigerwash
08-03-2014, 06:28 PM
it won't retain 100% of its value ever but maintenance surely helps it stay on the high end of the blue book value.

oldmodman
08-04-2014, 12:19 AM
A clean, no dents car with everything working will sell for more than a dirty, scratched POS with bulbs out, no AC, and three different brands of tire on it.

wytstang
08-04-2014, 02:48 AM
I can not tell you how many threads I've read on mustang forums with potential buyers livid about the conditions of the cars and the asking price when searching for the right car. Trust me it does help to a point. Seeing a minty fresh car after seeing dozens of rat infested cars makes it much easier for potential buyers to come closer to an agreed price.

Charger12
08-04-2014, 05:54 AM
I would say yes if sold privately,a trade in your always gonna take it in the dumper