PDA

View Full Version : Dlux trim seal

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 05:47 AM
I was reading about this yesterday. I've been using hyper dressing and I haven't used it yet but bought sonus motor kote for the engine.

I was using hyper dressing on engine and trim. Wheel wells. Stuff like that.

How does dlux work. Should I use this instead of the other stuff I have. What's the best use for it and does any dressing go over it or does it look good on its own

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2014, 06:06 AM
DLux is a trim coating. Hyper Dressing is a dressing, and products like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG), Wolfgang External Trim Sealant (WETS), and Blackfire Total Trim and Tire Sealant (BTTTS? BTTT?) are sealants.

A dressing will last a few weeks, a sealant will last a few months, a coating will last a few years. However, as you go up the ladder, the products that last longer generally require more prep and more attention during application. For instance, if you apply a dressing unevenly, it's pretty easy to fix it (if you even notice), where it's easier to get an uneven coating application and difficult to correct if you don't catch it as you're laying it down.

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Does it give off a sheen like a dressing or is it a matte finish. And can you put a dressing over it

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 06:38 AM
What about the engine. Should I just use sonus motor kote

sproketser
07-27-2014, 06:40 AM
DLux is a trim coating. Hyper Dressing is a dressing, and products like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG), Wolfgang External Trim Sealant (WETS), and Blackfire Total Trim and Tire Sealant (BTTTS? BTTT?) are sealants.

A dressing will last a few weeks, a sealant will last a few months, a coating will last a few years. However, as you go up the ladder, the products that last longer generally require more prep and more attention during application. For instance, if you apply a dressing unevenly, it's pretty easy to fix it (if you even notice), where it's easier to get an uneven coating application and difficult to correct if you don't catch it as you're laying it down.

Thanx Setec , was wondering about it , learned something again , actually , never gave great thoughts about these , I just do my mother s & my ride .

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Does it give off a sheen like a dressing or is it a matte finish. And can you put a dressing over it

I would say it's more of a "like-new" look tending toward shiny, but of course you can put greasy kid stuff on top of it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52351-carpro-cquartz-dlux-review.html

MarkD51
07-27-2014, 06:58 AM
I've heard-read about people using DLX on Wheel Wells, and Engine Parts. As I understand it, DLX can take the heat in the Engine Compartment no problem. Might get a little expensive using it for such, but will work, and offer very long lasting protection.

The best use for it, is IMO all exterior plastic trim parts. Won't matter the color, DLX works for all, no dyes.

As Setec says, prep is important to get even application, and proper bonding. A good APC, and perhaps even Carpro Eraser can be used to good effect beforehand.

As for a need to apply another dressing on top of DLX, no it is not needed, looks great all on its own, and these parts that have been treated will be looking good for a long time to come, thus easing the periodic work on such areas of the vehicle. This then gives you more time to address other areas of the vehicle.
Mark

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 08:23 AM
I would say it's more of a "like-new" look tending toward shiny, but of course you can put greasy kid stuff on top of it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52351-carpro-cquartz-dlux-review.html

Lol I guess my hyper dressing is gonna go down the drain then...alot of my stuff is gonna start going down the drain. I keep reading about better products

Kingston
07-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Dlux on wheel wells? Is it $100k car? Good lord guys. How can you stand to drive these vehicles down the road?

hoyt66
07-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Dlux on wheel wells? Is it $100k car? Good lord guys. How can you stand to drive these vehicles down the road?

All day on my $26k challenger. Weekend driver and it makes it super easy to clean . I dlux all exterior plastic so then it's just a matter of wiping down with some waterless wash when it's dusty. Never need dressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 08:56 AM
All day on my $26k challenger. Weekend driver and it makes it super easy to clean . I dlux all exterior plastic so then it's just a matter of wiping down with some waterless wash when it's dusty. Never need dressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the reason I'd use it too. It takes long enough to clean the car. If it's one less thing to deal with it's worth it

PA DETAILER
07-27-2014, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=frankprozzoly;1137874]Lol I guess my hyper dressing is gonna go down the drain then...alot of my stuff is gonna start going down the drain. I keep reading about better products[/QUOTE

Send me the hyper dressing! On my xterra i do the following.

1.ENGINE. Sonus motor kote is very good. But my go to is the hyper dressing 4:1 Spray it on and walk away. DONE!

2. WHEEL WELLS. Again hyper dressing 4:1. No applicators. No mess. Just spray and walk away.

3. EXTERIOR TRIM/PLASTIC. WOLFGANG TRIM SEALANT. Very durable. Lasts months.

builthatch
07-27-2014, 09:43 AM
i've thought about this, but it's not classified as a permanent coating, it's semi-permanent. i know i know, marketing is part of things like this, but having dealt with removing it, i believe their rating.

so, therefore, i'd think that road wash and debris would beat up the coating work. wells get HAMMERED with little hard flying bits.

for hard plastic like wells, i'd consider Opti-Lens. esp since there has been a lot of chatter as of late about using it for hard trim. my rationale is that Opti-Lens is rated as a permanent coating, for plastics, aimed at headlamps, which take a HUGE amount of abuse from road wash and debris. seems like a perfect choice for wells.

btw, if you need to remove DLux, esp on softer trim, an old MF and some alkaline APC like Power Clean and elbow grease will do the trick.

my car and my wife's car have fuzzy liners (well, my car has hard plastic fronts but i'm not removing the wheels again just to test this) but the next new car prep i do, i'll use Opti-Lens on the wells and see how things go.

PS - still love me some Hyper Dressing at 4:1 for wells!!!! haha

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 10:05 AM
I love the look of hyper dressing but it's runny. Hard not to get on the paint. My front wheel wells are plastic and the rear is cloth. I spray it on that too. The other thing is you can't drive away. It takes awhile to dry

frankprozzoly
07-27-2014, 10:06 AM
How long does the motor kote have to Dry