PDA

View Full Version : A few engine bay questions

conman1395
07-26-2014, 07:20 PM
I just detailed my engine bay. First time I've ever done any engine bay and I feel like I did an okay job. I've been reading posts and articles for months because I did not want to mess anything up. Like I said though, I only did an okay job and it was because I was so paranoid about electric shock. I do not even know how to disconnect a battery, so I did not disconnect it. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Is there a risk of electrical shock when detailing the engine bay with the battery plugged in?

2. Are there parts of the engine to be careful of that you cannot see from above? (Should I be careful sticking my brush in areas I cannot fully see from standing over the engine bay?)

3. Would it be okay to use my EZ-Detail brush that I also use on my wheels? Next time to make life easier?

Thanks guys!

longdx
07-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Alternator and Throttle body area should definitely be covered and only use a very low pressure rinse.

I have done engine details without disconnecting batteries but I am cognizant about not using high water pressure and avoiding any potential problem areas,

I always turn the engine off afterwards to dry any potential standing water.

I imagine your EZ-Detail brush should be fine (Not sure though)

jamesboyy
07-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Conman, I know how you feel I was the same way when I first cleaned my engine

1, from my experience you cannot get shocked from water on the battery though if there are loose connection or spilt wireing yes that will cause shock

2, there is alot of things in a engine bay so when cleaning in spots you can see that much take caution

3, yes you could use your wheel brush though be warned you may get grease on it therefore I suggest haveing one separate spoke brush for engine or for real dirty cleaning

Lastly always cover the battery with plastic bags and wash it separately useing a bakeing soda water mixture though for now just gaze at that freshly cleaning engine

personaltouchAD
07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Conman, you should not have to worry about being shocked by anything under the hood when the car is turned off. If the positive and negative posts or wires on the battery make contact, then you may risk a burn, but low voltage electronics will not shock you.

I use my EZ detail brush for cleaning everything from wheels, under the hood, door jambs, and even hard to reach places on my dirt bike.

I hope this info helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

conman1395
07-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Okay thanks guys! You're all awesome!

bugeye
07-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Many cars have computer modules and fuse boxes in the engine area. These are probably within plastic boxes. The boxes may or may not have seals on the covers and may have small vent fans (like a computer PC fan). Should be ok with low water spray not directed at the openings.

Tim909
07-27-2014, 05:27 AM
For future reference:
Any time your concerned about the risk of electric shock, you may want to ask questions before hand.

Tim909
07-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Check out a article by Mike Philips called:
How to use a forum to detail your engine

Tim909
07-27-2014, 05:34 AM
How to use a discussion forum to detail an engine

By Mike Philips

Capn Blackie
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Press and Seal (the cling wrap that is really sticky) is perfect for wrapping around CAI filters and intakes in general and great for wrapping around anything you don't want to spray with any amount of water/stream pressure.
You can come back after the big clean and begot clean areas under the P&St with a spray bottle.