PDA

View Full Version : Orange peel

jerber1
07-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Most newer cars come from the factory with orange peel. Was wondering if anyone has had luck with the denim pads for removing "factory" orange peel? If so, what steps did you take to remove the orange peel?

aim4squirrels
07-26-2014, 06:57 PM
In my humble opinion,

If you're passionate about keeping your daily driver swirl free by correcting it yearly leave it alone.

Removing the orange peel from factory clear will make future corrections a risky procedure.

Lots of guys have used the denim pads with good success on peel. They are a quality product, but it's dangerous on factory paint.

conman1395
07-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Here ya go bud.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/69156-how-remove-orange-peel-using-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher.html

allenk4
07-26-2014, 09:51 PM
I tacked my comments onto the end of Mike P's excellent thread

chet31
07-27-2014, 08:22 PM
The denim pads work well for removing orange peel. I used them to remove orange peel from a repaired area on my car. However, be very careful with the edges in concave areas (like fender flare areas). The denim pads are not as flexible as normal polishing pads, and their edges will dig into your paint in the concave areas. But they work great on flat surfaces.

PrismDetailing
07-28-2014, 02:00 AM
The denim pads work well for removing orange peel. I used them to remove orange peel from a repaired area on my car. However, be very careful with the edges in concave areas (like fender flare areas). The denim pads are not as flexible as normal polishing pads, and their edges will dig into your paint in the concave areas. But they work great on flat surfaces.

I experienced this problem first time i used it...

allenk4
07-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Isn't this also an issue encountered when sanding with a DA and 3" Trizact or the like?

I highly recommend trying the 3" & 4" Denim for curved areas. Be careful to keep them perfectly level on the paint.