PDA

View Full Version : Lurker alert: concaved my buffing pad

Chemicalviper
07-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Long Time lurker: So I went at my car last weekend for the first time with menzern product. Everything turned out pretty great but at the end I noticed the cutting pad I was using concaved in the middle.

Is this from not enough lubrication/heat? And is the pad junk now or can I continue using it?

http://imgur.com/cKMbse6.jpg

Kingston
07-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Did you do the entire vehicle with that one pad?

builthatch
07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
if you cut that open you'd probably find a layer of foam confetti. too much heat! i have a few old pads that i still use and are like that - they work fine as long as you don't heat them up too much again...they are essentially like Rupes pads lol

swanicyouth
07-26-2014, 12:48 PM
It's from heat.

IIR, LC actually used to / still does make a pad that almost comes like that new. The idea was - you compress the pad and the little pocket in the center flattens out and holds some polish.

Yes you can use it again.

Like these:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/de9u2y9e.jpg

builthatch
07-26-2014, 12:50 PM
It's from heat.

IIR, LC actually used to / still does make a pad that almost comes like that new. The idea was - you compress the pad and the little pocket in the center flattens out and holds some polish.

Yes you can use it again.

ahh yes, the burger patty concept. make the center thinner so it cooks evenly! haha

Chemicalviper
07-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Did you do the entire vehicle with that one pad?

Yes - I've read it's fine with constant brushing and conditioning which I did

Tacket
07-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Looks like it over heated and the foam broke down. This happened to me the first time I polished a car too. Gotta let the pad cool down, or swap them out (better choice). I usually clean/rotate my pads every panel. Some pads seem to hold up better under hard use/heat than others.

chet31
07-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I've got a few like that.