PDA

View Full Version : Shwirled out my trunk with the DA.

JKL1031
07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
So I've recently corrected my car from a hack job. Good on the sides roof and hood with a 6" pad. I ordered a 3" pad to do the trunk since it is tighter spacing. After using the soap blaster at drive in washes the soap seems to be harsh and removed my work as I didn't confirm with IPA before LSP. So here it is.

http://s27.postimg.org/awaywbv5f/20140724_172133.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/vvny7ovy5/20140724_170753.jpg

So it could be I never probably corrected the last detail.

Or I instilled them. When I re visited the DA to remove the 3" i see one of the backplate screws were resting on the counter weight. This may have had the pad off axis and wobbling.

Also the trunk is concave across the center. this did give me a hard time controlling the pad from walking. The streaks look fairly long. For 3" DA motion. Is there anything I should do differently with a 3" than a 6"?

Car is dirt filmed in the pictures BTW. Thanks in advanced!!

jerber1
07-24-2014, 05:50 PM
List steps, polishes, pad colors, polisher itself...

cleanmycorolla
07-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah what was your prep? Wash, clay, Decon, anything like that?

JKL1031
07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
The trunk was clayed some time ago before. I washed with dial dish detergent. and went right to it, badges on with 3" orange-WG swirl remover.-> meg. nxt, by hand, and then pinnacle soveran by hand. I didn't/couldn't maintain a decent cross hatch pattern.

davey g-force
07-24-2014, 06:26 PM
3" pads can be more aggressive than 6".

However, I don't think you instilled those yourself, since they look more like rotary holgrams to me. So it looks like you didn't properly correct them the first time. :)

fly07sti
07-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Not to tell you what to do, but this is why I like to debadge my cars. Makes areas like this so much easier to buff. Now are you using 3" pads or 3" BP?

JKL1031
07-24-2014, 07:49 PM
2.9" backing plate, 3" pad.Maybe thats the problem? I see I missed a question. The polisher is a HF polisher. Could not using the correct pattern cause this? This looks pretty bad. Lol.

jerber1
07-24-2014, 09:51 PM
i would use a polish, and not by hand

RobertJ34
07-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Do a test spot, tape it off and see your results. if you get your desired results, move on. Maybe your arm speed also, I don't know how fast/slow you're moving but check out Mikes videos on that. Have to give the swirl remover time to work.

I would also recommend getting other pads for the polish...by hand won't cut it to be honest.

Also...before you use the polisher again, do the baggie test. You said it was clayed "some time ago"--to me that sounds more than 6+ months. If it feels rough at all, Clay it...although, it may be too late since you did compound it already with the WG Swirl remover.

Either way..this can be fixed. Don't stress it.Take your time, check out some of Mikes videos.

JKL1031
07-25-2014, 10:57 AM
I did use the DA machine with the swirl remover. All of my LSP was applied by hand. Are you saying apply LSP with the polisher as well? Think I will tape of a section and retry with IPA this time.

BUT I'd definitely like to rule out the wobble in the mis installed backing plate and walking from the concave face of the trunk trunk first.

allenk4
07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
"When I re visited the DA to remove the 3" i see one of the backplate screws were resting on the counter weight"

This will.occur with a Porter Cable if you do not have a compression washer properly installed.

If you have misplaced yours, they are available on AGO.

BTW, the little black "nipple" that comes with most BP is effectively used to keep the compression washer on the BP when it is not attaches to the polisher

allenk4
07-25-2014, 11:14 AM
There is an awful lot of Orange Peel in the photos.

Is there a possibility that the car has been re-painted?

This may cause this Particular section of paint to behave differently than the other sections you were able to correct to your liking

JKL1031
07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I hope it hasn't been repainted. Only repaint evidence is on the front bumper