PDA

View Full Version : What would this cost?

Pages : [1] 2

iMuf
07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
What would you guys charge for a detail like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYPDs2ls0NY]Topaz Detailing London - Ferrari Enzo Detail (120 hours) - YouTube[/video]

cleanmycorolla
07-24-2014, 10:08 AM
I'd charge too much. They'd go to someone else. ;)

trekkeruss
07-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Well, according to the comments in the video, that detail cost roughly $7600 U.S.

I'm not a professional. I do not have a shop, and I have no overhead. If someone wanted me to do their car to that level, I'd want at least $15/hour, which would work out to be $1800.

But...120 hours is a long time. Does it really mean 120 hours of actual work, or does it mean the detail took five days? I suspect it is the latter, because if they worked on the car 10 hours a day non-stop, it would have been in the shop almost two weeks. Are they that slow?!

Skimmer0220
07-24-2014, 10:32 AM
wow the attention to detail is amazing

Pureshine
07-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Not really worth that money for wax after all that work. For 7k should've used a coating on everything not waxes kinda of a joke really. To bad the owner got ripped off but that just me.

swanicyouth
07-24-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't detail for a living, but 120 hrs is 3 weeks of my time + supplies. Am I the only one who would charge more???

Wax seems fine, as the owner probably garages the car and drives it infrequently. Car probably comes in for re-wax every so often. I don't see this car as a daily driver.

parttimer
07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
I didn't realize this was going to be a feature length video when I started it. The time the took seems unreasonable unless they wet sanded that whole car! Some steps are just weird, hand applied wax? And why not clean the wheels when you pulled them? To do a similar job I'd need $1800 to buy the lift, who knows how much to but that wheel nut removal tool too! I'd guess I would be in the area of 2-3 for that but I am not pulling engine covers and things, I'd hate to monkey something up! Lastly, really a wax? More money than brains I guess.

RottenII
07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm just gonna say if you can afford to drive that car, the cost of the detail is probably not a big deal.

cardaddy
07-24-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't know what y'all are talking about.... all my details are like that! :D :rolleyes: :laughing:

I dunno' though, it seriously could have taken 120 hours. That considered... one guy locally Brian Burnworth would charge well in excess of the price quoted in this thread, probably more towards $10K (at least $75 an hour, and $100 an hour isn't out of the question). He's been flown all over the world with the detailing elite to do exotic vehicles, making $12~$15K weekly. And I assure you, his work would probably embarrass most folks.

Another in the area (that posts all over the internet) and is wanting to be what Brian is.... would charge as much as humanly possible (quite often $75 an hour). Both do good work, one I've worked with.

One has to figure in other costs when doing vehicles such as that. Current value of an Enzo can run from $2 million to excess of $5 million depending on the serial number (of all things). Doing work in your garage, or driveway versus having a $5~$10 million insurance policy and an air conditioned shop, low clearance lift, employees with matching (Ferrari) uniforms, not to forget the aforementioned wheel nut and other specialty tools that come ONLY from Ferrari and the costs start to seriously add up.

So all things considered, the $7200 figure that was mentioned is only $60 an hour. IMHO, that is a freaking STEAL to get that vehicle done! Much less than I'd charge 'fer sure dude. ;)

The scary part is that there are a LOT of guys out there, (given the chance) that would take that job (especially guys around here...) and NOT have the insurance to protect them should something happen. :rolleyes: Remember, just because someone has the ability to detail a vehicle, doesn't mean that they have the wherewithal to have a shop, or even if they have gotten one, most folks don't carry enough insurance to cover a vehicle like that. (I ran a towing business for 18 years, specialized in hi-line vehicles, and still only had a $2 million insurance policy. But back then you just didn't see $4 million dollar Ferraris!);)

HUMP DIESEL
07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Not really worth that money for wax after all that work. For 7k should've used a coating on everything not waxes kinda of a joke really. To bad the owner got ripped off but that just me.

I have to disagree, Swissvax Crystal rock would be a perfect option for this car, the rich glow and depth of gloss are what you want with an Enzo, not ease of maintenance from a coating. Don't get me wrong, I love coatings, but not on this car.

As far as how much I would charge, I would also be in the range of $6500 to $8000, just for what this vehicle is and what is expected, but also as stated. My insurance would not cover a car like this and I do not have the specialized tools to do it at my shop....Now if the local dealer were to call me and ask me the price would be the same and I would do it at their shop.

HUMP

Pureshine
07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I have to disagree, Swissvax Crystal rock would be a perfect option for this car, the rich glow and depth of gloss are what you want with an Enzo, not ease of maintenance from a coating. Don't get me wrong, I love coatings, but not on this car.

As far as how much I would charge, I would also be in the range of $6500 to $8000, just for what this vehicle is and what is expected, but also as stated. My insurance would not cover a car like this and I do not have the specialized tools to do it at my shop....Now if the local dealer were to call me and ask me the price would be the same and I would do it at their shop.

HUMP

Not sure if you know what your talking about really. Coatings are not just for easy maintenance. Cquartz Finest has a great depth and shine to it and will look just as good as Swissvax Crystal rock.

2.ooohhh
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Not sure if you know what your talking about really. Coatings are not just for easy maintenance. Cquartz Finest has a great depth and shine to it and will look just as good as Swissvax Crystal rock.

Comes down to the owner really, Sure I'd offer a coating but I've had more than you would probably guess prefer traditional wax on their collections including many high end exotics. Really when you get to the nuts and bolts of it either will work fine protection wise for some time to come when your talking about cars that may only come out of air conditioned storage for a few select events a year.

minorc
07-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Can i do a detail that well? Probably not, Could I do it faster than 120 hours? most definitely. If i HAD to invest 120 man hours into a detail I would be in the range of 5000 as well

Pureshine
07-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Comes down to the owner really, Sure I'd offer a coating but I've had more than you would probably guess prefer traditional wax on their collections including many high end exotics. Really when you get to the nuts and bolts of it either will work fine protection wise for some time to come when your talking about cars that may only come out of air conditioned storage for a few select events a year.

This is why you educate the owner on why he should use a coating and then you can always apply wax later.

2.ooohhh
07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I educate well enough and often sell coating on cars that are driven, but many of the advantages the clients read about of coatings such as cquartz are null and void on a vehicle stored indoors accumulating less than 250 miles a year.