PDA

View Full Version : Clay vs Sealant

DP4Duke
07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Two questions:

1) If I clay my car, will it remove a sealant I applied a few months ago?

2) Will Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish remove the sealant?

Since I applied the sealant a few months ago, I do not wish to remove it now.

Thank you for advice.

jamesboyy
07-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Two questions:

Thank you for advice.

1) if you clay your vehicle yes it will remove your sealant, and most of not all other contamination.

2) A cleansing polish have some sort of abrasives in it to remove small defects and clean at the same therefore yes it will remove your sealant too

RobertJ34
07-23-2014, 09:07 PM
1- Yes, I believe so

2- Yes, I know so.

What were your steps prior to putting the sealant on the car? outdoor or garage kept? Is there a reason you want to clay or use the Cleansing polish? (not to go all lawyer on you, I promise! just trying to help out haha)

trekkeruss
07-23-2014, 09:14 PM

If it was newly applied sealant, and there was no contamination, perhaps not. But since your sealant is months old, and there probably is contamination, both would be removed.

The product is designed to remove both contaminants and waxes...and sealant.

Is it a problem to seal it again?

wdmaccord
07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd say yes and yes. Wait until late fall for your winter detail to tear it down. IMO.

cleanmycorolla
07-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Two questions:

Thank you for advice.

Claying probably won't remove today's modern sealants, usually chemical cleaning us needed. Claying will take off a wax IME.

1) if you clay your vehicle yes it will remove your sealant, and most of not all other contamination.

2) A cleansing polish have some sort of abrasives in it to remove small defects and clean at the same therefore yes it will remove your sealant too

Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion actually has zero abrasives and is purely chemical. It is however at removing dirt, waxes and sealants. :props:

DP4Duke
07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
In June, I removed the swirls that were on the car and then used Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. After completing this process, I used Black Label products, first the cleansing polish followed by the sealant. The car is kept in a garage and I will not be doing an extensive detail again until September. Claying may not be necessary in September, but I was curious as to whether it would remove the sealant.

I have since purchased Black Label Synergy and knew the product recommended the cleansing polish before applying the wax. Reapplying the sealant is not a problem, but I was hoping to avoid that step and I am aware of the debate of whether it is even necessary to apply carnauba wax on top of a sealant. Thank each of you for your advice.

chet31
07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I find when I clay, it's hard not to micro-mar the finish. So whenever I clay, I always polish. Between the clay and polishing, I believe the sealant is pretty much gone.