PDA

View Full Version : Uber compound

Pages : [1] 2

kgj1119
07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm a little new to this. Wondering how to use Wolfgang über compound with a PC and some lake county microfiber pads. I also have some orange, white, and blue lake county foam pads. After I'm done with the über. Do I have to use another step such as a swirl remover or is it ready for sealant? Thanks for the help

allenk4
07-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I would start with the "Detailing How To's" link at the top of the page.

It will help you establish a firm foundation to build on.

Mike Phillips videos are excellent.

mwoolfso
07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
You would use the Uber compound with a cutting pad (orange), sometimes (white) depending on the circumstances and you wish to break from tradition.

The answer to your question though is to perform the process on a test spot.

In general after a compound you would need a less aggressive finishing polish, like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. For this step you would use a polishing pad.

kgj1119
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Great. Thanks Can I still use a microfiber pad or do you think if get better results with the foam?

allenk4
07-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Great. Thanks Can I still use a microfiber pad or do you think if get better results with the foam?

Read what Mike Phillips says about doing a proper Test Spot to determine the Least Aggressive Method that will get the results you are looking for while removing as little clear coat as possible.

RobertJ34
07-23-2014, 09:01 PM
agreed^^ go least aggressive, your method above is pretty aggressive, which is fine if needed..but try least aggressive and see if those results are good enough for you.

As far as MF vs foam pad for better results--I have read many people will use MF (if needed for bad defects) then follow up with foam pad and polish for a nice finish.

Ncs0816
07-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Just cross your fingers and pray it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5jjt
07-25-2014, 08:50 PM
I watched a video of Mike Phillips compound a brand new BMW to remove light cobwebbs with an orange pad, then polish, then something else. A lot of people seem uneasy or even afraid to compound.

kgj1119
09-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Used the microfiber with the uber. I found that the pad seems to get "clogged" quickly am didn't see much of a correction. Switched to a orange lc foam and saw a little better correction but not what I'm lookin for. What am I doing wrong with the mf pads

KneeDragr
09-22-2014, 12:11 PM
What do you mean by clogged? Im my experience the MF pads cut a lot more than foam.

kgj1119
09-22-2014, 12:20 PM
After I prime the pad with the compound and start on my truck it seems that the pads fibers become matted down and don't seem to be working. This may be normal. It's the first time using mf pads

aim4squirrels
09-22-2014, 12:32 PM
You will need some sort of compressed air to blow out the MF pads after a pass. Otherwise, you'll get exactly what you're experiencing.

Uber Compound can be a phenomenal one step product if the pad selection and paint is right for it. Do a test spot after compounding with the Uber using whatever lighter polish and pad you've chosen and then step back and really evaluate it objectively. You may find that the Uber is all you need.

If you have to go to a really aggressive pad to get it to the proper correction level, or you have softer paint, a follow up with a finer polish may be in order.

But don't do it just because someone told you you need a minimum number of incremental steps to get great results.
Uber Compound was designed specifically to cut like a mother and finish out LSP ready. That's exactly why it's worth the extra price (in my opinion), as it saves time.

allenk4
09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Used the microfiber with the uber. I found that the pad seems to get "clogged" quickly am didn't see much of a correction. Switched to a orange lc foam and saw a little better correction but not what I'm lookin for. What am I doing wrong with the mf pads

Please give as much detail as you can regarding your process with the MF pads:

- How are you priming your MF pads

- Once primed, how much Uber are you adding before each section

- Are you cleaning your pad after each section pass?

- What pad cleaning method are you using

- What machine speed setting?

- Is your backing plate rotating? How many rotations per second?

- How much downward pressure on the machine?

- How fast are you moving the machine over the paint (arm speed)?

- How many passes are you making per section?

- How large of a section are you working at a time?

- Are you working in the shade on a cool surface?

KneeDragr
09-22-2014, 12:51 PM
After I prime the pad with the compound and start on my truck it seems that the pads fibers become matted down and don't seem to be working. This may be normal. It's the first time using mf pads

Mine get matted down as well but they keep working.

kgj1119
09-22-2014, 08:32 PM
I use enough product to cover the entire pad. Been doing a 2x2 section at a time about 12 passes total. Was using speed 4.5 on a PC and enough pressure that the backing plate will still move