PDA

View Full Version : Respect to my fellow detailers Re: Sap Removal

Coach Steve
07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Living and working in the desert southwest has its unique lists of pros and cons. Sure there's the heat but it's a dry heat, right? And it's no secret that the usual flora and fauna that thrives in most other states has the good sense not to even attempt to exist here, most notably, trees. Oh sure all of the bazillions of master-planned communities are rife with foliage installed by the homeowners who live there and there are even a sparse few planted by the various municipalities here and there just to add some color to the drab beige hue that is the Sonoran desert. And even with all this transplanting taking place, it doesn't come close to "greening up" the landscape.

This lack of naturally occurring trees can be viewed as both a pro and a con I guess, depending on which side of the coin you prefer. On the one hand, the lack of a thick, lush green landscape filled with towering Spruce, Oak, Pine, Alder, etc., provides for an existence without sap, the yellow pollen lots of trees emit, and the autumn months spent cleaning up the discarded leaves year after year. On the other hand, the lack of trees makes for a fairly ugly landscape overall and in my opinion, life is just better with trees - and lots of them.

Growing up in extreme northern California, I was spoiled by the richness and abundant presence of some of the most majestic and wonderful trees on the planet - the oldest living things on Earth to be sure. Living and playing among the Sequoias, the gigantic Ponderosa Pines, the almost surreal Redwoods, etc., while providing a most beautiful place to be alive, was breathtaking, (or would that be breath-giving in this case... Hmm...) it also served to remind one of just how small and seemingly insignificant we as humans sometimes are.

Then, of course, there's the one flaw that nearly all trees possess: SAP!

One of my longest and best customers called me a few days ago and told me they had just returned from their vacation which took them all over the US with their car and as a result, it was in desperate need of some TLC to return it to its usual pristine state of being. This is an enormous 2007 Lincoln Towncar by the way. The last year they made this particular version with the nearly 75 ft. long hood, the 40 ft. long deck lid and if I remember correctly an overall width of about 25 ft. It's a BIG car... you get the idea... lots of horizontal surface area is what I'm getting at.
While on their trip, they spent a good portion of their time at a relative's house in the lush hills of Virginia, an area laden with sap spitting monsters that exist only to ooze their sticky, thick elixir onto what or whomever happens to be well.... anywhere in the state quite frankly.

The owner dropped the car off late Monday night and briefly mentioned "there's a little bit of sap here and there and a few bugs too" which is to be expected from the kind of road trip they took.
Tuesday morning I went out to move the car into my wash bay and noticed the car was glistening like it had been sprinkled with glitter or something. As I got closer, I began to realize what I was seeing was the sun's reflection off of the hundreds of drops of sap which, by now, were proud to announce that they and the car had formed a union which would not be severed anytime soon.

I'll spare you the specifics of what I tried that didn't work in my attempt at an easy removal of the sap with the exception of one: even my 4200 PSI pressure washer with a 25° fan tip placed too damn close for comfort to the finish would budge these droplets from Hell!!
I eventually went old school and removed them using SeaFoam's Bug-B-Gone (which is amazing stuff by the way) and a mf rag I planned never to reuse - ever again, and addressed each drop one by one. I couldn't believe how thick this stuff was. And when I tell you it had no plans of releasing its grip on the car without a serious fight, you can take that one to the bank!

Yes, living in the desert southwest has its pros and cons just like anywhere else. But, one of the biggest pros I can think of at the moment is the fact that trees, for the most part, are non-existent which equates to me as a detailer ever having to deal with sap.
So, to you guys who deal with it on a daily basis, I offer you copious amounts of kudos and an extra large helping of my most sincere respect!!

Mike lambert
07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Hand sanitizer gell works great, the gell gives it dwell time.

AutowerxDetailing
07-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Soak them with CarPro Tar-X for several minutes. Spray a dry MF cloth with Tar-X and agitate each spot using fast arm motions. The rubbing motion will heat up the sap and allow it to release it's grip from the paint with a little effort. For stubborn tree sap multiple applications may be required.

Hand sanitizer will also work on certain types of tree sap to soften and partially dissolve large blobs of it.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

Kingston
07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Depends on the type of paint (manufacturer). you go scrubbing back and forth on an Asian manufactured car and you end up with damage that then needs to be sanded and compounded. And hopefully you didnt make it too thin. Now, on my Mercedes, I can scrub for hours and not damage the finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Coach Steve
07-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Getting the sap off the car wasn't the primary issue. Getting the sap off the car without having to re-wax/seal it was the mission. There are lots of products I could have used to basically melt or chemically dissolve the sap with very little effort on my part. The problem with nearly all of them, at least from what I know about them is, they remove the wax along with the sap. The SeaFoam Bugs-Be-Gone stuff worked very well and plowed through even the largest of blobs instantly with little more than 2-3 pushes of the mf towel for it to be completely gone and it didn't affect the sealant. To verify this since it was my primary goal, tested the product indoors with the correct lighting and viewed it from numerous angles after removing not just a drop or two of sap. rather wiping a test section approx 6" sq. so as to be able to easily discern the difference between the two areas and I was unable to notice a difference. None.

Unfortunately, selecting the SeaFoam product and commencing to work on the eradication of the sap wasn't the first thing I tried. Nor was it the 2nd or 3rd or even the fourth. I lost a lot of time getting to the solution I chose - like hours!

I have no idea what variety of sap I was dealing with. I can only tell you it was crystal clear, VERY thick even in the smallest of drops and it was sticky - the kind of sticky you wish they'd make industrial strength adhesives out of. A Goo Gone-saturated rag stuck to a couple of larger drops leaving fibers behind when pulled off the spots! Seriously sticky! And even though it all seemed to be the same in its origin, some of the drops were easier to cut through than others regardless of the size of drop. I have to believe all of it had been on the car for roughly the same amount of time.However, some of it had "cured" or hardened much, much harder than the rest. Anyone remember the candy Dots that was basically hardened sugar dots on wawx paper? the harder blobs were that hard like it had formed a shell over itself. Weird....

KillaCam
07-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I've had luck with full strength IPA. But that's usually only a week or two old. Dissolves it very quickly.