PDA

View Full Version : "Silvering" of C4

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
I bought C4 when it was first available in the US (had to order it from Hawaii). When I first used it I thought it was a miracle product (and I still do with some caveats). I think I started a thread on AutopiaForums showing the results on an aged wiper cowling and some mud guards (so hard textured trim), which were returned to a like-new condition.

Unfortunately, over the course of about 6 months, those parts faded back to gray/white. Actually, although I was disappointed with the permanence of the product, it still was better than anything I had used.

So I thought I would just reapply. Unfortunately, the reapplication results were not the same as the original. It just made the gray appearance shinier. I speculated that the C4 was on the surface, but did not protect adequately against UV, and the underlying plastic continued to UV fade, but wasn't accessible to the second coat of C4 to be restored.

Anyway, this car has a piece of rubbery trim between the wiper cowling and the windshield. Over the years (24/7 outside) this trim has hardened and shrunk. I tried to get a new piece but the car it too old and it's not available. So last year I removed it, cleaned it up and put C4 on it. It looked great.

It's been about 9 months now and this is what it looks like:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=79063

I said to myself, look there's just a little bit of C4 left (the black spots) and the rest has faded back to gray. Wrong. After scrubbing a bit with some IPA...the black spots got bigger...and the silvery spots got smaller. The only conclusion is that the C4 is still there but has "silvered". The black spots seem to be where the C4 has come off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does DLux do the same thing?

I really like the trim products like WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) and I'm sure I'd like UTTG or the new Blackfire product. Still the allure of a "permanent" solution is intriguing. I have tried Opti-Lens but it doesn't seem to restore like C4 or DLux...of course, I may have tried it only on this silvered C4, which isn't a fair test. I know I have a spot on the cowling of another car that looks really good, that I did with product left over in an applicator...I just don't remember what product!

EDIT: I should add that I have found C4 (as with most trim products) to work differently on different surfaces/trim materials. The "silvering" happened on more flexible pieces, like the cowling and that hard rubbery seal...but on the same car there is some harder, shinier trim on the rear window, with a different kind of texture, that has held up much better, I think that is going on 2 years and still looks good.

02xtreme07SS
07-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I've had this happen with DLUX as well and it's pretty frustrating. In fact, I just had to redo the sail trim around the mirrors on my Rav4 last night. I tried OPC full strength on a microfiber last night and it gave me a pretty uniform finish to work with. I followed that with an Eraser wipe down and then re-coated. It came out 95%.

It would be nice if the trim sealant manufacturers developed a way to completely remove their own products to allow for re-coating. Right now it seems pretty hit or miss, mostly miss.

Setec Astronomy
07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
I've had this happen with DLUX as well and it's pretty frustrating.

So you've had DLux also turn this gray or silver color? This just triggered a distant memory about someone who used C4 and then topped it with UTTG to preserve it, maybe that's the ticket.

I still want to try Opti-Lens for trim restoration, I just need to find some unrestored trim.

02xtreme07SS
07-28-2014, 09:42 AM
So you've had DLux also turn this gray or silver color? This just triggered a distant memory about someone who used C4 and then topped it with UTTG to preserve it, maybe that's the ticket.

I still want to try Opti-Lens for trim restoration, I just need to find some unrestored trim.

Sure have. F0r me it happens mostly on textured plastics. I don't have any issues with it on rubber or smooth plastics. The more intricate/ornate the trim piece is, the more issues I have with it 'silvering'.

allenk4
07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
DLUX does not perform well on softer trim rubber as it does on hard plastics and wheels; which it was designed for.

The unstable surface of the flexible rubber is the issue.

02xtreme07SS
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
DLUX does not perform well on softer trim rubber as it does on hard plastics and wheels; which it was designed for.

The unstable surface of the flexible rubber is the issue.

That's actually contrary to my experience. I have more trouble with DLUX on hard textured surfaces more than any other. I have no issue with it on flexible rubber parts like windows seals or rubber coated parts.

Setec Astronomy
07-28-2014, 08:42 PM
DLUX does not perform well on softer trim rubber as it does on hard plastics and wheels; which it was designed for. The unstable surface of the flexible rubber is the issue.

Why do people keep saying this? From the product page here at Autogeek: "DLux essentially a glass coating for your vehicle's plastic and rubber exterior surfaces. CQuartz DLux offers the same impenetrable protection to plastic trim, rubber, and wheels."

allenk4
07-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Why do people keep saying this? From the product page here at Autogeek: "DLux essentially a glass coating for your vehicle's plastic and rubber exterior surfaces. CQuartz DLux offers the same impenetrable protection to plastic trim, rubber, and wheels."

I imagine people are saying it...because that is their personal observation.

At least, that's why I said it

There are lots of types of rubber trim. It may work on some better than others. My specific experience is with the rubber trim around the bottom of the roof rails of a 2009 GMC Yukon Denali.

DLUX is my favorite for harder plastic on this same vehicle.

Glad you have had better luck.

allenk4
07-28-2014, 09:28 PM
I wonder why it is suggested for rubber, but NOT rubber tires?

Setec Astronomy
07-28-2014, 09:39 PM
I wonder why it is suggested for rubber, but NOT rubber tires?

I see nothing that says DON'T use it on tires, it simply says it is for rubber etc., however, neither does it say USE ON TIRES.

Logically I understand why an "organosilane" or glass coating would be undesirable on a flexible substrate such as rubber, and I generally don't use C4 on rubber, however I got some on rubber trim next to hard plastic that I was dressing, and it was dynamite on the rubber.

FUNX650
07-28-2014, 11:30 PM
•The "silvering" of organic Coatings during their service-life is a natural occurrence caused by:
-Their exposure to environmental hazards that deteriorate their protective...(as well as: "decorative")...functions.

•And by (quite often):
-The manufacturers' addition of nanoAg biocide-structures to Coatings...to assist in warding-off bacteria and fungi when the superficial/topmost layer(s) of a Coating have been compromised/"cracked".

•Some of the exposure/compromising factors are:
-Climatic...UV-radiation<<<#1; heat; humidity
-Aggressive Media...acid rain; bird poo; brine (salt water)
-Hard Erosive Particles...sand; dust; hail; other mineral particles

•Some of the "decorative" deterioration will appear as:
-Loss-of-gloss
-Color fading

Bob