PDA

View Full Version : Would Like To Ask for Assistance With Detailing my Dash. (Located in SoCal)

BaByBoiGsxR
07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi,

I have a minor interior detailing issue that I would like ask some assistance on.

I’m located in Southern California (Long Beach). I drive a 2004 E55 AMG (W211 chassis). I recently purchased it from Arizona (hint: extreme heat).

The car’s interior colors are two toned black and blue. The issue that I have is on the dash.

The previous owner used to have a dash mat. The ones that were held in place by pieces of velcro. Then those velcro pieces had adhesive at the bottom which were placed directly on the dash.

With the scorching 100+ degree Arizona sun, the glue/adhesive from the velcro became one with the dash (…not really, but it sure feels like it).

Upon purchasing my car, I had my very experienced detailer buddy work on my car. I specifically asked him to work 80% interior and 20% exterior (since the outside looks great. no swirl marks, no hair lines, no scratches, etc.). He did an amazing job. However, he too noticed that the residual glue on the dash was a b*tch to remove. There are several small spots on the dash. Each one roughly the size of a quarter or smaller. He was able to remove ONE spot. He emphasized that it could be removed but would take time. He stated that the one spot he worked on took about 45 mins. And since it did, he focused on the rest of the interior rather than the glue marks. The thing that made me worry was that my buddy tried using several techniques but still didn’t work. He used Goo-Gone, a heat gun, degreasers, etc. He was able to remove it but scratching it off for 45 mins using his finger.

I’m very meticulous about my cars and sportbike. I take very good care of my belongings. One day I decided to go to Chemical Guys in Inglewood. I went to look for some tough cleaner / degreaser. I asked one of the sales reps if he can take a look at my car and based on what he sees, perhaps he can recommend a product for it. Minutes later, he begins to use a heavy duty degreaser and scrubs over the spot repeatedly. Sadly, nothing happens.

I’ve tried using a plastic razor blade on one of the spots and was able to someone remove it. The only flaw I made was… I think I may have actually lightly scratched the dash itself. And now it’s kind of noticeable.

It’s really frustrating seeing these spots on the dash. I can’t seem to remove it without damaging the dash.

Can I kindly please ask someone for some tips or advice?

I would even prefer to bring my car to someone local if they think they can help me remove it.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Thank you guys.

hernandez.art13
07-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Meguiar's headquarters is in Irvine. They are having an open garage next Thursday. Where you can ask for assistance in something like this. It's free too.

all you have to do is go to Meguiarsonline dot com and register as a member and sign up to the Thursday Night Open Garage for next week.

Maybe they'll be able to help.

The Guz
07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Art beat me to it. But this is a good idea. You may have to just live with that melted adhesive.

BaByBoiGsxR
07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Art / Guz.

I'll definitely register and check it out.

If other people have any other suggestions or possibly willing to help a fellow car enthusiast in person, please feel free to chime in.

BaByBoiGsxR
07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Is there anyone local that would like to attempt to look at it and see if there's anything they may possibly do to help?

Crispy
03-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I would use an adhesive remover. 3M makes one that works pretty good. Another try WD40 believe it or not. Spray on and let dwell and wipe off. After the glue is removed use your favorite trim dressing to entire surface to restore the uniform finish (I have good results with Meguiar's Tire and Trim Gell).

Breese147
03-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Goof off is another brand that works for me but it might be the same as goo gone. I would only use it as a last resort though.

The Guz
03-31-2015, 12:14 AM
I found goof off to be to harsh and it can deteriorate the plastic. I would stick with goo gone or 3M.

Mike Phillips
03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
How about a nice dash mat?

Cover the defects and protect the dash moving into the future.

:)

Setec Astronomy
03-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Crispy keeps dragging up these old threads! This one is from last year, the OP seems to have come and gone.