PDA

View Full Version : How to polish B-Pillar trim without a DA

Pages : [1] 2

Burns ST
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
My B-pillar trim on my Focus ST is showing lots of swirls. I believe its just a gloss black, not actual paint or and clear coat. It scratches incredibly easy. I've taken a brand new MF out of the bag, sprayed some QD on it, ran it over the pillars and come out with new swirls.

Can I polish this without the use of DA, because I don't own one. I was thinking of picking up some Megs Ultimate Compound and trying to polish it by hand with a foam wax applicator. Will this work or am I going to end up causing more damage?

Belair
07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
So if it's not paint nor clear coat is it glossy plastic like on a dashboard or what? You have to know what you're dealing with before you can correct anything. I guess you can call a dealership & talk to a salesman or someone in the parts dept., they should know what it is. Then you can proceed. But going from QD to Ultimate Compound is not something I would do right away. Have any pics?

allenk4
07-22-2014, 05:03 PM
If it scratches with QD and a Microfiber...it is soft and can likely be corrected with a mild polish.

OTC, you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and a standard yellow foam wax applicator.

If you are going to order from AutoGeek....there are a million options for polish and applicator.

Dealership won't know Jack about this type of thing

Desertnate
07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
If it scratches with QD and a Microfiber...it is soft and can likely be corrected with a mild polish.

OTC, you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and a standard yellow foam wax applicator.

If you are going to order from AutoGeek....there are a million options for polish and applicator.

Agree on all points. If you're really curious what the part is made from, you might see if they have it in stock and you can take a look at one to see how you want to proceed. On VW a Golf/GTI it's a part that can be replaced by itself. Your Focus may be the same. If you go this route don't specify an ST, ask if they have that part for any current gen Focus, as I doubt that trim piece is unique.

On my VW, that part is black plastic with a shiny surface. On my Toyota and Mazda I believe it's black plastic with a matte finish. I've corrected the VW quite easily with a single light pass on a DA with finishing polish, so you should be able to correct it easily by hand with a light polish as well.

Coopers ST
07-23-2014, 09:35 AM
My Focus ST is swirled on that part also. It actually gets swirls if you just look at it sideways. I have had ok luck with a foam applicator on a handle that is like a knob and some scratchx. Not perfect, but better.

Burns ST
07-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Heres a pic I googled of the pillars, mine aren't in as bad of shape as these but you get the idea. I'm thinking its just black plastic with a lacquer finish.

I'm going to try the OTC megs polish and a fresh wax/sealant foam applicator pad. I'll follow that up with some sealant, hopefully that helps. These pillars are a nightmare. I often tell people riding in my car not to close the door by touching the pillar, touch my glass instead.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Camaro5Ryan/2013%20ST/PaintinspectionPillars.jpg

Romach
07-24-2014, 02:07 AM
I had same problem on my Audi q5 and I used mothers plastic polish with a microfibre and did it gently!

Its a royal pain! A £50k car and cheap plastic

frankprozzoly
07-24-2014, 02:47 AM
My accord has a matte finish. I was thinking of putting those shiny black pillars over mine. Should I reconsider. I thought it might look better

Desertnate
07-24-2014, 07:55 AM
My accord has a matte finish. I was thinking of putting those shiny black pillars over mine. Should I reconsider. I thought it might look better

They will swirl like crazy if you breath on them. I wouldn't do it.

frankprozzoly
07-24-2014, 07:57 AM
The matte finish isn't great either. Always shows fingerprints and to keep it from fading you have to constantly treat it

KB in MD
07-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Heres a pic I googled of the pillars, mine aren't in as bad of shape as these but you get the idea. I'm thinking its just black plastic with a lacquer finish.

I'm going to try the OTC megs polish and a fresh wax/sealant foam applicator pad. I'll follow that up with some sealant, hopefully that helps. These pillars are a nightmare. I often tell people riding in my car not to close the door by touching the pillar, touch my glass instead.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Camaro5Ryan/2013%20ST/PaintinspectionPillars.jpg

This is what door handles are for :xyxthumbs:

cardaddy
07-24-2014, 01:51 PM

I've seen that a lot of those with matte finishes are nothing more than a plastic/vinyl wrap.

:iagree:as well! :props:

I wouldn't consider Megs UC, just move to a blue or red pad hand held pad (and lots of elbow grease) with Megs UP. :)

addysdaddy
07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Hate that cheap piano black trim. I covered mine in SunTek protection material. Covered the swirls, looks perfect now and super easy to clean with QD.

Coopers ST
07-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I cleaned mine on a 2013 Focus ST today, then hit them with some Megs Ultimate Polish with a microfiber applicator. I have a knob handle that sticks to the applicator. I followed that with Megs NXT. I have had them better and think if I hit it with some Megs Ultimate Compound first it would come out pretty good. Here are two pics one with and one without flash.

98LowRanger
07-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I had a customer with a 2014 Focus whose piano black b-pillar trim was all scratched up from an ice scrapper :doh: I just buffed them out with my Flex 3401 DA and a white pad using Megs 205.