PDA

View Full Version : Small paint scratch

MPCIII
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I got a 3/4 inch, very thin scratch in my car door and want to take care of it myself. It does not go all the way to the metal, but gray primer is certainly visible. The weird thing is that it feels raised, not indented. So my question is, should I smooth it out before carefully applying touch up paint? Or should I just clean it (via clay or something else) and paint it as is?

Also, would claying be enough to smooth it out. I haven't done anything to it yet until I contact you guys!!!!!

Thanks,

Mike

cleanmycorolla
07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
pics?

allenk4
07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Claying is designed to remove above surface contaminants like industrial fall out, tree sap, bug splatter.

Claying will not level paint.

To get the best possible advice, you MUST post good quality close-up pictures using the "Upload Pictures" feature of the AGO Forum

dfoxengr
07-23-2014, 08:48 AM
The edges could be raised if the scratch made the paint slightly lift there. Id look at it under at least 25x magnification, and if thats the case, use a sanding pen to remove the lifted edges, then use a medium polish to clean it out, then alcohol or paint prep, then a few layers of touchup paint, then either wetsand after a month or use a langka type product after a few days.

sn0w
07-24-2014, 11:47 PM
This should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

MPCIII
07-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Here are the pics requested. The top one is a closeup (the real size of the scratch is about 3/4'). The bottom photo is further away for perspective. On closer inspection I found out it IS indeed an indent and not raised as I first thought. I think I was fooled by the ragged edges.

I have the touch up paint and an incredibly small brush which works well to just "drop" paint in, but i am not sure what I should do to prep it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Mike

=========================

Claying is designed to remove above surface contaminants like industrial fall out, tree sap, bug splatter.

Claying will not level paint.

To get the best possible advice, you MUST post good quality close-up pictures using the "Upload Pictures" feature of the AGO Forum

MPCIII
07-25-2014, 12:05 AM
The guy in the video uses clear coat mixed in with the paint. I have the manufactures touch-up paint, but where can I get clear coat?

This should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

MPCIII
07-25-2014, 12:26 AM
What is a "langka type product?"

Thanks,

Mike

The edges could be raised if the scratch made the paint slightly lift there. Id look at it under at least 25x magnification, and if thats the case, use a sanding pen to remove the lifted edges, then use a medium polish to clean it out, then alcohol or paint prep, then a few layers of touchup paint, then either wetsand after a month or use a langka type product after a few days.