PDA

View Full Version : Ready to begin polishing!

nissenc1337
07-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Hey guys-

I've been around some but haven't been too active. I'm a hobbiest/weekend warrior. I'm using my own cars to develop my processes and feel really good about all the steps leading up to paint correction (washing, claying, maintenance and etc.)

I'm on the Meguiar's Kool-Aid and their G110V2 polisher is $179.99 at Autogeek and need some advice on what pads to get. I currently have Meg's Ultimate Compound and Meg's Ultimate Polish along with their ultimate liquid and paste waxes.

So, knowing I want to use those products (I do plan to compound/polish/wax by machine to my daily cars for the sake of learning the process) what pads should I buy for the Meg's DA Polisher? Microfiber? Foam?

Last note, $80 budget for pads/backing plate. (Autogeek, feel free to throw up a discount code!)

Thanks guys,

lyodbraun
07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Get the top three orange white and black and go to work on your vehicles, post up your results maybe ?

Quickstrike32
07-22-2014, 07:21 PM
From the research I've gathered, 5.5" flat pads are the easiest to learn with. These here would get you started...

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

wdmaccord
07-22-2014, 08:10 PM
From the research I've gathered, 5.5" flat pads are the easiest to learn with. These here would get you started...

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

Agree, go with these. 2 orange, 3 white, 1 black or red. Ultimate compound finishes pretty nice. You may not even need the extra step of UP. If the paint needs some decent correction, so with UC on the orange pad this time, then IPA, then wax. With good wash methods, you can go with UP on a white pad next detail. Don't forget the 5" backing plate. Remember to clay also.

As far as discount codes, you usually need to spend at least $150 to get free shipping, and shipping will virtually negate your discount. Might be better to just use the standard free shipping on $95 and call it a day. AGO95 i believe is the code for that.