PDA

View Full Version : Leather cleaning debate

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
07-22-2014, 06:05 AM
So this is whats said on katzkins website

Leather receives protective treatment during tanning process

Why would katzkin offer their own conditioner when even they say to just keep it clean

So I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone of these cleaners and maintaining products would be the way to go. I'm sure they're all good. I'll stay away from conditioners

FUNX650
07-22-2014, 06:46 AM
I'll stay away from conditioners
^^^:props:^^^

IMO: That's the best way to go.
It's clean & protect!!

Also:
If you don't want to purchase leather products directly from Europe...
It's: Leather Master's---available at AGO!
Leather Master Leather Care Products, Auto Care Master, Leather Master Car Interior Leather Products, leather care, leather cleaner, leather (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html)

Bob

sproketser
07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Connolly & Leatherique could be great choice also .

frankprozzoly
07-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Sounds good

wdmaccord
07-22-2014, 09:17 AM
I've been real happy with Chemical Guys leather cleaner. It dilutes 1:6 too, so it's pretty economical. For protection I use either 303 Aerospace or Blackfire Interior Protectant.

Every now and then I'll use CG Leather Conditioner on seat parts that are really cracked or dried out, but other than that, it's a waste of product and time on seats that are coated and are in good condition.

Tato
07-22-2014, 09:33 AM
The CG Leather cleaner you are referring to is a colorless, almost odorless one? This product is not only great on leather, try it on interior plastic (like pillars, doors), etc..., I mean, you can clean an entire door interior, trunk plastics with it. It's an awesome stain removal for those parts.

**Please, I always recommend to test in a hidden place at first before applying products to any surface, in advance, I've tested what I'm saying above a lot and never had any issue.

To clean leather, I may use steam at first with a very fluffy MF towel (I like white ones), a lot of grime came out with the first pass.

Then, I may do a wipe-down with the CG leather cleaner to guarantee spotless cleansing, almost effortless.

For protection, I'm relying on Mothers Leather-Tech,

Mothers Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-leathertech-moisture-infusion-gel-cream.html)

You apply it like a WOWO wax, with the provided foam applicator. Do a section at a time, and buff right away.

I like this product because it leaves leather looking good, smelling good, is not slippery in any form.

Cons: Needs regular application to maintain it's benefits.

Pureshine
07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Sonax leather foam has been my go stuff for over 3 years and Leather Master is a great product to. When it comes to really dirty leather I first use 1z deep plastic cleaner and then Sonax leather foam.

frankprozzoly
07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
I took bobs advice and ordered leather masters cleaner and cream. Now I need a brush or something to clean with. Some people rub cream in with their fingers. I'm worried about getting to much in perforated area

Guessless
07-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Sonax leather foam has been my go stuff for over 3 years and Leather Master is a great product to. When it comes to really dirty leather I first use 1z deep plastic cleaner and then Sonax leather foam.

Been using the Sonax foam for over a year now, though my letter doesn't get that dirty as I rarely bring the car out; it cleans up well. I clean the seats etc. about once a month, Just not sure how much protection it leaves behind, any thoughts on that?

swanicyouth
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
I took bobs advice and ordered leather masters cleaner and cream. Now I need a brush or something to clean with. Some people rub cream in with their fingers. I'm worried about getting to much in perforated area

I love this brush. Sold & designed for leather. Sadly, AG doesn't carry it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/a2ybe2u5.jpg

frankprozzoly
07-22-2014, 10:56 AM
What about that brush larry from NYC ammo uses. It looks like an interior brush. I have one. The bristles are maybe to soft

Rmd
07-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Agree on the Swissvax brush. It's really good.

wdmaccord
07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
The CG Leather cleaner you are referring to is a colorless, almost odorless one? This product is not only great on leather, try it on interior plastic (like pillars, doors), etc..., I mean, you can clean an entire door interior, trunk plastics with it. It's an awesome stain removal for those parts.

**Please, I always recommend to test in a hidden place at first before applying products to any surface, in advance, I've tested what I'm saying above a lot and never had any issue.

To clean leather, I may use steam at first with a very fluffy MF towel (I like white ones), a lot of grime came out with the first pass.

Then, I may do a wipe-down with the CG leather cleaner to guarantee spotless cleansing, almost effortless.

For protection, I'm relying on Mothers Leather-Tech,

Mothers Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-leathertech-moisture-infusion-gel-cream.html)

You apply it like a WOWO wax, with the provided foam applicator. Do a section at a time, and buff right away.

I like this product because it leaves leather looking good, smelling good, is not slippery in any form.

Cons: Needs regular application to maintain it's benefits.

Yes, that's the stuff. I don't use on other interior parts mainly for the price factor...APC at 1:10 and $25/gal keeps it economical. But good to know as another option if APC doesn't cut it on a specific stain on plastic. :xyxthumbs:

For deep cleaning with CG LC, I use a vent brush (similar process to what Larry does on the AMMO video, but he uses a bigger concours brush). Really gets into the cracks of the leather. About 3 passes with a light swirly motion and they'll look brand spankin new. I always follow with a filtered water wipedown to remove any remaining residue before protecting.

HUMP DIESEL
07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
I picked up a Kiwi shoe leather brush at the local Ingles, it is a grocery store for those not familiar. I have used it on two vehicles with leather. It is really soft, so it allows you to clean without harm to the coating or leather itself. I rinse it out and let it dry. It is boar's hair.

HUMP

Niblick
07-22-2014, 12:16 PM
I love this brush. Sold & designed for leather. Sadly, AG doesn't carry it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/a2ybe2u5.jpg

its really just a shoe polish brush tbh, albeit a very nice one :D