PDA

View Full Version : Polished wheels with white spots

LemNasty
07-21-2014, 10:24 PM
One of my wheels has white spots on it. I tried using diluted car wash and a Speed Brush to clean the spots, but they quickly return once the wheel dries. In the attached photo you can see the spots on the right inside of the spoke. I'm not sure what to use to remove them.

Also, what's should I be using to clean these wheels? I have Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, but the directions say not use on painted or clear coated wheels. I'm worried the spray may be too harsh for the wheels and the coating on the rotors/calipers. Are these wheels considered polished aluminum?

jamesboyy
07-21-2014, 10:32 PM
It might be etching therefore claying and using a polish may help remove those spots, as for cleaning if your wheels, just use car soap and water with wheel tools and if theirs something that cant be removed then you use a stronger cleaner but don't let it dry, or use on a warm wheel(use in the shade)

Hazcat
07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
If you want to find out if they are polished aluminum just use small amount of metal polish on them and rub it lightly with your finger. If it's polished aluminum it will turn very dark. If I introduce a new product I use it in an inconspicuous place such as the inside lip of the wheel. Rub it lightly for 15 seconds then take a look at your finger or wipe it with a towel to see if it is dark gray or black. If it comes back the same color as the product in the jar it's chrome or clear coated. Or there's always calling the manufacturer of the wheel. Polished aluminum aren't hard to take care of but you have to be very careful what you get on them.

LemNasty
07-22-2014, 06:13 PM
The wheels are stock for the car. Gonna try the metal polish trick on the inside of the wheel. Thanks!

The Guz
07-22-2014, 06:48 PM
These are stock C5 wheels and they should be clear coated. If you want to be sure then use the metal polish tip. It does look like there is some clear coat failure on the top right inside of the spoke. If they are clear coated then treat them like paint.

trekkeruss
07-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Are these wheels considered polished aluminum?

Are those Corvette wheels? I believe those are polished, but clear coated. If they were bare aluminum, chances are it would not be just one wheel with the problem (and bare aluminum wheels oxidize quickly and need to be polished constantly, so if you've never done it before, they wouldn't be as shiny as they are).

LemNasty
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
These are stock wheels on my 2001 Corvette. The center cap on that one wheel also has white spots. I'm not sure if they are the same. I bought the car about 3 weeks ago so I have no idea how they were treated before me. They look to be in pretty good shape for 13 years of age. I'll try the metal polish when I get home in the morning.

LemNasty
07-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Ok. I did the metal polish and no black marks. I searched a vette forum and found out the polished wheel is clear coated from the factory. I pointed a light at the wheels only to reveal a plethora of swirls. Treating it like a clear coat, I polished parts of wheel by hand using a microfiber and M105. I was able to remove the white spots but not the swirls. I'm going to guess that my next step should be to remove the wheels and do a full cleaning/clay/machine polish/sealant like any other clear coat. Should I try using my Meguairs DA system on my drill with LC hydro tech pads? Or should I stick with the PC? I'm thinking of using the drill since the low speeds would be gentler on the wheels.

BillE
07-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Just curious...

Are you located in a 'snow region'?

If yes, could very well be some damage from any 'stuff' that is used for de-icing. etc. I see that a lot kind of 'spotting' (and worse) here.

Bill

LemNasty
07-23-2014, 06:47 AM
The car was in Ohio for 9 years and Nevada for 2. It's possible some de-icer in the corner of a garage got on the wheel. It would explain why only one wheel has the spots. In my opinion the spots look like hard water deposits we get on our faucets and shower heads in my area(hard well water).