PDA

View Full Version : Frozen paint and tree sap. Help!

theautospa
07-21-2014, 11:25 AM
I have a customer that has let tree sap sit on his frozen painted bmw. I understand you basically can't rub anything on this vehicle. How do I get this off? Best solution I have found is trying a bug/tar remover and hope for the best. No clay, no polish.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

iron_worker
07-21-2014, 11:47 AM
I had good luck using TarX on sap. It seemed to work much better when I used the nanoskin DA pad to knock the top off of it and then tackle the remaining spot with TarX. I think the outside of the sap hardens and forms a "shell" that makes it not react as well.

I wouldn't recommend using nanoskin on the frozen finish though.

IW

theautospa
07-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I happened to order tar-x last week to try out. Seems I know what I'll be trying. Thanks!

allenk4
07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
What does BMW recommend in the Owners Manual?

Found this in a related article

"BMW's bug remover is recommended immediately after any contaminants touch the paint, including insects, tree sap, bird droppings, tar and oils. BMW warns regular microfiber cloths shouldn't be used, and excessive rubbing can create a glossy spot in the paint."

Video by Larry of Ammo NYC on the subject:

BMW Frozen Paint: Overview and Cleaning - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube

theautospa
07-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm familiar with what BMW recommends and naturally it is their own product. However, this tree sap has been sitting on the vehicle for weeks now and was curious if anyone else had tackled something similar.

I'll be reporting back with my results and experience

swanicyouth
07-21-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm familiar with what BMW recommends and naturally it is their own product. However, this tree sap has been sitting on the vehicle for weeks now and was curious if anyone else had tackled something similar.

I'll be reporting back with my results and experience

I wouldn't discount the BMW car care products. They are reasonably priced, quite good, and readily available at all BMW dealerships.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/yveta8y5.jpg

Their tree sap remove is under $10 - and is one of the only (the only?) products I know of that is exclusively designed for tree sap. I've never used it - because I've never had this problem. But, based on my experience with some of their other products, my guess is it's pretty good.

Another reason to use it is CYA. If there is any "issue" following the work, you can always say you used the BMW recommended product.

CowboyTruckn
07-21-2014, 11:27 PM
What is frozen paint

theautospa
07-22-2014, 07:09 AM
I wasn't aware that BMW had a tree sap remover for this paint. I had only seen the bug remover. Awesome. I may give this a try as well.

Dr Beasley
Tar x
BMW sap remover

One or all should work I hope!

Frozen paint is a matte paint scheme

FUNX650
07-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Frozen paint is a matte paint scheme
"Scheme": Yep...I like that definition!!

Bob

Calendyr
07-22-2014, 07:48 AM
What is frozen paint

A nightmare for detailers?

Do a search on the subject. It looks good but you can't do anything to it: no rubbing of any kind (compound, polish, claying) and you can't put any protectant on it (wax, sealant, coating). In essence it makes detailing it almost impossible.

runrun411
07-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Check this out.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62912-my-very-first-review-featuring-purell.html?highlight=purell