PDA

View Full Version : walk me thru the process. restoring boat

hydro556
08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
i have an older glastron with an overall great finish. the problem is on the front of the boat. The portion of the bow that faces upward is totally flat, dull and kind of chalky looking. Appears to be moderate/severe oxidation. This will be my first time with the buffer. I have a Makita 6040. It does rotary or random orbital. I have the Meguiars boat restoration kit from AG. It consists of 3 products and I forget the numbers. There is an oxidation remover, another polishing compound and a liquid carnuba wax. I have an LC wool pad, orange pad, black pad and white pad. All from AG. I would like to hear advice from those experienced with gelcoat/fiberglass. I want to know what to expect with each step so I know if Im doing it right or not. If I understand correctly the process should go like this:

1- use the wool pad with the oxidation remover. What will the gelcoat look like when it is time to move on to the next step? Should I use the rotary mode or RO on the Makita? I will leave it here for now, and see what advice I get and go from there. Long I know, but thanks.

hydro556
08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
nobody with any boat experience?

Reddwarf
08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Have any photos? I think a couple of folks on this boad have detailed boats.

hydro556
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Its going to be Sunday before I get the boat into the garage, and I will get the pics then.