PDA

View Full Version : Rebadging a Vehicle

Bicycle
07-21-2014, 09:17 AM
I just purchased a new GMC Duramax and would like to remove those 2 emblems off the hood and the 4x4 emblems from front fenders.
Can this be done without damaging the paint???
Thanks

cleanmycorolla
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
I just purchased a new GMC Duramax and would like to remove those 2 emblems off the hood and the 4x4 emblems from front fenders.
Can this be done without damaging the paint???
Thanks

Of course it can. Caveat being if you do it dumb then no, but if done properly should be okay

Desertnate
07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
If they are held on with adhesive tape it should be fairly easy.

I've been successful getting dealership badges off by parking the car in direct sun to soften the tape and then hitting the badges with a blow dryer on it's hot setting. From there, I've just run a strand of thin fishing line or dental floss behind the badge and gently wiggle/saw through the adhesive. Once the badge is off I'll use a little Goo Gone on a MF towel to remove the remaining adhesive goo.

sagester
07-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Heat is your friend. As desertnate stated, fishing line works great for the emblems. The 4x4 decals should peel right off once you get them started. Then any good adhesive remover for the left over double sided tape on the emblems.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Agreed with the above - heat and dental floss. Stoner Tarminator and CarPro Tar-X are two good adhesive removers that are safe for automotive paint.

Mike Phillips
07-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I recently debadged the iVan our Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and to do this I used a heat gun on the low setting and a Bondo spreader to slide behind and under the emblems and pry them off.

No problems...

Here's a Datsun I re-badged...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/1974Datsun4Sale004.jpg

:D

Ray@Autogeek
07-21-2014, 11:35 AM
I recently debadged the iVan our Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and to do this I used a heat gun on the low setting and a Bondo spreader to slide behind and under the emblems and pry them off.

No problems...

Here's a Datsun I re-badged...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/1974Datsun4Sale004.jpg

:D

:laughing:

Bicycle
07-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks you all. Blow dryer, fishing line and some Goo Gone did the trick.
I did go ahead and clay the areas and run a little Menz 2500 over it.

binly
07-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Yes, heat is always the way to go. Wish I had known this when I first got my car - then I wouldn't have a large paint chip I can't fix :(