PDA

View Full Version : How does BFWD compare to Menzerna power lock?

Pages : [1] 2

BrandonS
07-21-2014, 08:38 AM
I am a big fan of BFWD but love the menzerna polishes/compounds and would like to try Powerlock if it is just as good as BFWD. I have not read or heard much about Powerlock and wondered if anybody had experience with both. I am interested to know how they compare for ease of on/off, shine , durability ect. I love the slippery surface and wet look that I get from BFWD and don't want to give that up. I also appreciate that I can do my whole truck with less than one ounce Feed back pleaseso overall it is halfway economical if you catch a good sale. Thanks for reading my post.

swanicyouth
07-21-2014, 08:56 AM
They are quite comparable in slickness, looks, and durability. BFWD seems to darken paint a bit - so it may be better for darker colors.

You can't go wrong with either.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
I'm curious too - I love BFWD, but also am a big fan of Menzerna's lineup. I usually top BFWD with Menzerna Color Lock, and SF4500 is by far my favorite finishing polish.

Here's a review over at DetailedImage:

Menzerna Power Lock Sealant Review with Pictures | Ask a Pro Blog (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/menzerna-power-lock-sealant-review-with-pictures/)

Kamakaz1961
07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
I have both and you can't go wrong with either. Menzerna Power Lock is a little thicker. I do use Power Lock more as it is ever so slightly easier to put on with a DA. As for longevity I would assume both are excellent. I put on a wax on top of them

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Certainly the price point is much better on the Power Lock.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
If PowerLock doesn't gunk up pads like BFWD does, I think I might switch...

cleanmycorolla
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
BFWD has a unique look, all it's own. That's what separates the two. If it were me though I'd get crystal seal, same look, cheaper and a bottle lasts forever.

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2014, 09:57 AM
BFWD has a unique look, all it's own. That's what separates the two. If it were me though I'd get crystal seal, same look, cheaper and a bottle lasts forever.

Slickness comparison? Crystal Seal vs. BFWD?

wdmaccord
07-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Slickness comparison? Crystal Seal vs. BFWD?

Not quite as slick. I just did a rapid fire this weekend (TPnS topped with 2 coats of CS). Great combo for production details because the TPnS lays down some of the WD polymers and no cure time, so you can go straight to CS. Longevity probably will not be as long. My guess would be 3-4 months with the rapid fire combo vs. maybe 6 with BFWD. On my own car, I put CS on top of BFWD and easily get 6 months out of it with proper washing.

tedj101
07-21-2014, 10:54 AM
If PowerLock doesn't gunk up pads like BFWD does, I think I might switch...

OK, you have me intrigued. When you say gunk up pads, I assume you are applying it with foam pads on a DA? (I've never tried that so I have no experience - I use an MF hand applicator). If so, do you mean saturating the pads? (I tried a Lake Country foam sealant applicator with BFWD once - and that will be it - once<g>!)

In any event, I am curious what you meant.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-21-2014, 11:04 AM
OK, you have me intrigued. When you say gunk up pads, I assume you are applying it with foam pads on a DA? (I've never tried that so I have no experience - I use an MF hand applicator). If so, do you mean saturating the pads? (I tried a Lake Country foam sealant applicator with BFWD once - and that will be it - once<g>!)

In any event, I am curious what you meant.

That's correct - Lake Crystal Black Finishing Pads on a PorterCable. It's pretty much impossible to get all the residue out of the pads, so I have two that are dedicated to that now...

tedj101
07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
That's correct - Lake Crystal Black Finishing Pads on a PorterCable. It's pretty much impossible to get all the residue out of the pads, so I have two that are dedicated to that now...

OK, that I can appreciate! I usually start by hand and work my way up. My original experience with the foam applicator told me not to work up further, but to find something less susceptible to absorbing the product. The MF hand pad solved that problem. FWIW, I always use a dedicated hand applicator on sealants and coatings.

wdmaccord
07-21-2014, 02:23 PM

I use the blue LC CCS pad on my GG6...and agree...it's a dedicated pad now. At least it is more of a solvent residue...if you have tried TPnS on a RO, then you will truely see nearly impossible to remove "gunky" residue...and I cleaned the pad every 2-4 sections (on the fly towel method).

Jet Black
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
I have used both but I reach for BFWD more then I do Powerlock both do a great job. Any consideration for the Wolfgang sealent? I have a small sample bottle that I plan on using next to see how it looks.

The Critic
07-21-2014, 02:52 PM
From what I've seen, powerlock lasts significantly longer.