PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an almost brand new car?

Alekss
07-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2014 Acura RDX in Diamond White Pearl with 1000 miles. It was a low mileage demo vehicle. Even though, I did not notice any swirls or scratches (shocked) on the paint, it seems a little rough when I run my fingers across it.
What would you recommend I do to protect the paint? My initial thought was IronX, then clay, then polish and lastly seal? Do I need to polish or can I go straight to sealing after claying?
Also, for the exterior black plastic pieces, what do you recommend? I read a lot of good things about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant?
Thanks a lot.

Mike Phillips
07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
My initial thought was

IronX,
then clay,
then polish
and lastly seal?

Do I need to polish or can I go straight to sealing after claying?

My general rule of thumb is if I'm going to do ANY type of mechanical decontamination, clay, Nanoskin etc. then I'm going to do a least one machine polishing step to ensure perfect paint.

Also, for the exterior black plastic pieces, what do you recommend? I read a lot of good things about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant?
Thanks a lot.

I've had very good luck with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Demonstrated this on a segment of "My Classic Car" this year on a Chevy Avalanche with really dull, ugly plastic.

The real key or secret to keeping the black plastic trim on your car looking great is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

Don't wait for the plastic to start turning ugly and then decide to start doing something. Be proactive as it's easier and faster to maintain black plastic than it is to restore and then maintain black plastic.

:)

Mike Phillips
07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Read through this... lots of info and lots of links to even more info...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

:)

Paul A.
07-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Mike has, of course, the absolute best advice. Basically wash well, decontaminate (which is now a 2 step process for me now...Iron X and clay or nanoskin), polish with what you might need to restore the full potential of the paint's shine and gloss then seal it in!

To further clarify your need to polish after decon, i have never been lucky enough to decontaminate any paint without the need to do at least a fine polish to maximize what i then want to seal in. And, of course, that's what Mike has said but just to reiterate the importance of refining that new paint to what can probably be better than new again.

I like to thouroughly clean all black trim first and then seal it as well.

trekkeruss
07-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Do I need to polish or can I go straight to sealing after claying?

You need to do some kind of polish because claying often if not usually results in some kind of marring.

cleanmycorolla
07-21-2014, 09:53 AM
You need to do some kind of polish because claying often if not usually results in some kind of marring.

He doesn't need to polish after claying, and most times claying or using a nanoskin won't cause marring, depends on the paint. But if he's satisfied after claying, there's no need to polish. :dblthumb2:

wdmaccord
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Agree here. If I am going to clay, I am at the least going to do a light polish if the paint doesn't have any swirls; a heavier polish if I am trying to remove some light defects.

Even on white (and especially Acura soft paint) you will see marring from the clay. On white, you will most likely see it at night under a street light or in a parking lot.

Personally, I have yet to do a car with soft paint that I didn't get some marring in a few spots (usually a fine clay also: Pinnacle Ultra Poly).

Alekss
07-21-2014, 02:47 PM
some disagreement here but good comments nevertheless
thanks

Paul A.
07-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I rarely disagree with anyone here but base my comments on my experience. Having said that, i would say again that i have found a post decon stage polish to be beneficial. Whether it's to correct some marring from claying or to simply further clean or brighten the paint in preparation for my sealant, i have found a brighter shine and max gloss from at least a fine polish before sealing.

I won't nor can disagree with anyone who suggests it isn't necessary. For anyone considering whether it's necesary, maybe do a test spot and see what you like. If you don't see a difference with your test spot you can save yourself some time.

Alekss
07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
From what I read, the post decon stage polish is also designed to remove swirls/marring. If the paint does not have any defects after claying, and I am trying to avoid removing any of my clear coat, how would you apply the polish using a DA polisher...maybe at a lower speed setting? Less passes? Less pressure?

wdmaccord
07-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Many many threads on here where people have used a PTG to check paint thickness before and after polishing and you remove virtually no clear. If you have no need to compound and are just polishing to remove any clay marring or light swirls/scratches, you can polish away for many years.