PDA

View Full Version : Help I have holograms from Klasse All in One best way to remove them?

gbrittenum
07-20-2014, 04:20 PM
My first detailing/paint correction project on a 1988 black mustang convertible. It had set a number of year in my garage and it was time to get it out and looking good again. Here is my process:

1)Wash two bucket system
2)Clay
3)Heavy coat of Mequire's show car glaze #7 to feed the old paint
When we wiped the glaze off the paint looked pretty good so we opted to correct from there (wiped on and off with micro fiber towels)
4)Pinnacle advanced swirl remover/orange lake country flat pads
5)Pinnacle finishing polish/white lake country flat pads
6)Klasse high gloss sealant/white lake country pads

At this point everything looked great as I was buffing off the Klasse by hand with a micro fiber towel, I noticed by the ridge on the hood on just one side I had not gotten the paint corrected quite right. The rough/cloudy spot needed to be corrected before I went any further. I thought this might be a good application for the Klasse all in one since the correct was very minor. So I used a clean white lake country pad and went over the small area in question. I sat my equipment down and picked up a clean micro fiber towel and wiped it off.

But now everywhere I went over with the Klasse all in one has this holographic half swirl.

So my question is: what do I need to do to correct that so I can finish up? I was so close and the car looked really good.

inDetail
07-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Glaze goes down after polishing and before LSP. White pads have to much cut for a sealant like Klasse. Use a black or red.
So wash>clay again>compound>polish>glaze>sealant.

conquistador
07-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Glaze goes down after polishing and before LSP. White pads have to much cut for a sealant like Klasse. Use a black or red.
So wash>clay again>compound>polish>glaze>sealant.

Actually the OP has the correct procedure for Megs #7 if his vehicle has single stage paint. Which I assume it does being it's an 88.

Setec Astronomy
07-20-2014, 06:41 PM
If you overheat KAIO it will "bake" into a very difficult to remove residue. To some extent this is a characteristic of AIO's if you get too much on the pad, they tend to gum up. I would try some more KAIO by hand to remove this residue.

At least that's what I think happened, IME. If not, just go over those areas with your polish or polishes. If it's residue or actual holograms, your Pinnacle Finishing polish ought to clean it right up.

mwoolfso
07-20-2014, 06:53 PM
So I used a clean white lake country pad and went over the small area in question. I sat my equipment down and picked up a clean micro fiber towel and wiped it off.

But now everywhere I went over with the Klasse all in one has this holographic half swirl.

So my question is: what do I need to do to correct that so I can finish up? I was so close and the car looked really good.

As already indicated by another member, a polishing pad with any AIO is too aggressive. What I will add is that when you say "half swirl" my first thought is that your technique was off a bit. A half-swirl is indicative of not keeping the DA level on the painted surface and/or moving the DA too fast across the surface. Anytime you do not keep the pad level you run the risk is instilling holograms in the paint - no matter what product you use.

Try a finishing polish with a finishing pad (black, grey) as that should remove the holograms. If you want the acrylic protection from KAIO then follow with this and either use an light polishing pad (green, pink) or a finishing pad. You can even apply KAIO by hand.

swanicyouth
07-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I've never used Klasse, but if it was me - I wouldn't be using any "AIO" if I was doing a full correction (like you did). Too many products on the paint makes for product soup. I would have just corrected the paint and if I saw a hazy spot - then just re-polish that area with polish - then apply your LSP.

AIOs are for quick jobs. I understand KAIO is often used prior to Klasse - but you should already be getting a close to perfect finish with polishing - so I would skip and further application of paint cleaner type products and just do to your LSP.

I think Klasse AIO is known for it's ability to clean paint - no remove defects. If it has abrasives they are slight. My guess is you already had the KAIO and were just looking for an opportunity to use it. But, if doing correction - there is no reason to use.

Part of your OP has me perplexed??? You corrected the car and found a spot you missed, used an AIO, it left marring - and you are unsure what to do? Just re-polish that area with the Pinnacle stuff like the rest of the car to remove the marring. If the KAIO caused holograms you see in that area - I'm guessing it's not due to product/pad combo (white pad should be fine for an AIO) - but due to the pad not being fully primed. A partially dry pad can leave hologram like marks with a DA. Am I missing something?

gbrittenum
07-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the input. swanicyouth suggestion worked like a champ. I am learning as I go. I have read the forum for about a year and watched most of the how to videos. But since this is my first try, I am just trying to get it right. The car looks good and tomorrow I plan to put on a coat of Pinnacle Souverän™ Carnauba Paste Wax on it. Will probably put two to three coats of it and call it good. Then I have to deal rubber, stripes, and the convertible top.