PDA

View Full Version : PDR - interested in it, who does it on here?

Pages : [1] 2

VISITOR
07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
i was thinking of taking a PDR class but the price is pretty expensive and I know it's the ' right ' thing to do because you will be taught by someone who has done it for years. but, i don't mind working myself up and just practicing on cars that are beat up so if there is any further damage caused, then no big deal. any tips on what/where to buy the tools and/or videos to watch, suggestions, etc.? thanks...

https://www.pdrtool.com/image/cache/data/S-9-500x500.jpg

Charger12
07-19-2014, 10:37 PM
My job offers paid education,I took a PDR class,very informative and it takes lots of practice to perfect your technics. It was only 3 8 hour classes

Charger12
07-19-2014, 11:28 PM
If ur not careful u can do some real damage to ur car. It's a real talent.

Riff
07-19-2014, 11:36 PM
In!

It seems like the glue pull type would be a lot safer. No?

allenk4
07-20-2014, 12:06 AM
+1 on it being an "Art form".

A Friend of mine did door dings only for a full year before his skill level was high enough to handle other panels and hail.

260 days x 8 hours a day....

rbss
07-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I have a glue type puller if your not careful you can pull the paint off. Ask me how I know lol

VISITOR
07-20-2014, 12:24 AM
years ago when i had a pdr guy pull a dent from my vehicle, it only took him less than 20 minutes and he was $120-$150 (can't remember exactly how much it cost) richer. he had several of the short/long tools as pictured above and a little mirror (with a suction cup on the side of the door where the dent was) that had black and white lines (zebra stripes) so he can see the distortion to help guide him to straighten it out which in return remove the dent. i've done a little research so far and the tools are easily over the $200 mark. anyone know where to get them for less $$$?

Charger12
07-20-2014, 01:07 AM
That mirror board is called a light board,u position the board to see the depth of the dent,your looking at the board as u work the dent. It gives u better clarity,and position as needed. As for the glue puller,yes it seems easier,the key is to use the basic glue stick it's less damaging then the kind they sell with the kit. It takes a loooong time to master this trade,some have a natural talent for it NOT ME LOL. If u like to get your feet wet,take a class ,get the basic tools and get a door and a hood from the junk yard and practice

Riff
07-20-2014, 01:18 AM
I have a glue type puller if your not careful you can pull the paint off. Ask me how I know lol

Doh!

rbss
07-20-2014, 01:25 AM
I used it when I use to flip cars luckily it wasn't my personal vehicle.

StuDLei
07-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Here's a great vid by Larry Kosilla (AMMO NYC) demonstrating PDR. Seems like it would take a ton of practice to be good at this, BUT, if you were good at it maybe you could make a real premium performing it along with your details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=undb6jVC3-Q

(I apologize for not knowing how to correctly post YouTube videos.)

I have no experience myself, but based on the rate for 20 minutes someone else posted, that service would present itself as a very high margin item. Not to mention you could offer a more "complete" package. It sucks to polish out my own car and still have a few door dings; kind of takes a bit out of the final result.

VISITOR
07-25-2014, 02:23 PM
any good recommendations where to purchase the tools?

kevin_1981
07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
My buddy works for a car shop (accessories/remote starts/audio/video) that also has a PDR guy. Lots of money to be made... especially if you've got ties with a dealership, and get a hailstorm. I believe he netted $80K one summer (june-sept) on PDR alone.

Charger12
07-25-2014, 05:27 PM
There is lots of $$ to be made on this trade, it takes a long time to profect this craft, hail damage guys make a ton of cash

Cosmin
07-25-2014, 08:04 PM
a1-tool , dent gear , dentcraft ,

here is my experience with pdr ,
the course is expensive , is worth every penny , but you have to practice a lot. in my case i couldn`t because i am busy with detailing, and i don`t have 3h to push a door ding.
is an art , once you craft it , is easy.
eye -hand coordination is the key.

if you plan teach yourself ,it will take you loooooong time to learn it.
only flat pays.