PDA

View Full Version : Car wash fund-Raisers

Pages : [1] 2

DetailKitty
07-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Omg, haven't seen one in a while, but I drove by one today.

I absolutely cringed as I drove by...

Not only were there raggedy towels on the ground being used to dry cars, but they had small children manning a vacuum.... I can only imagine what panels they were smacking the hose and plastic head into :doh:

Anyone else get anxiety seeing these?

TuxedoTaurus
07-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I will sometimes stop by and just give a donation. I tell them how about I pay you not to wash it. They look at me funny at first then laugh. They never refuse the offer. I even do the same for the occasional guy that is washing windows at the corner with the squeegee from the gas station across the street.

Poor kids don't know any better, neither do the customers for that matter!

Harry Da Hamster
07-19-2014, 06:39 PM
They're fine for serving most people and most people are happy they got their car washed while helping a good cause

Romans5.8
07-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Most people don't know any better. Let 'em have their fun. I've tossed a couple bucks in the can and said "I don't have time for you to wash it but here ya go".

DetailKitty
07-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh I donate as well..... But this forum has ruined me lol.

RTexasF
07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
We have those where I live at least twice a week, more so when school is out. If someone responsible was there to watch over and instruct the kids doing the work I would be a contributor. Until then, no way.

mc2hill
07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I took my brother-in-laws car when my son had one at school. But like most of you, I will pay them to not wash my car.

brondondolon
07-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I just don't even stop. I'd feel petty if I stopped and paid them not to wash my car. I'd feel if I did that I'd be going out of my way to disrespect them. That's just me though. However, if I ever see a cheerleader or bikini car wash God knows I'm stopping. They could use an SOS pad to clean it for all I care. Lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Mike Phillips
07-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Here's my article on this topic... note I helped to organize and run fundraiser car washes in my life and even trying as hard as I could to educate the girls doing the car washing it was all for nothing...

Scratch your car for $5.00 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/40142-scratch-your-car-5-00-a.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/charitycarwash0.jpg

That's what we call charity or fundraiser car washes. I've organized and been in charge of a number of fundraiser car washes over the years as my daughter was a Cheerleader all the way through school and as well intentioned as a bunch of giggling high school girls can be you seriously don't want them washing your car if you care about the finish quality of the paint.

The same advice goes for any other organization putting on a car wash, including Football Team, Tennis Team, Church Groups, etc.

Even after doing my best to hold a mini-class for all the cheerleaders and explain to them the basics of how to correctly wash a car, I've watched in horror as these girls would drop a brand new wash mitt onto the pavement of a parking lot and then pick it up and go right back to washing a black Mercedes-Benz or fill-in-the-blank.

I understand and appreciate the idea and good intentions of anyone conducting a charity or fundraiser car wash but it's a fact that the masses don't know anything about clear coat paints including how easily they are scratches and more importantly how much work is involved in removing swirls and scratches as well as the fact that removing swirls and scratches mean removing a little bit of the thin and precious clear layer of paint.

For this reason, what I've always recommended to people that want to help out the cause is to pull into the car wash, hand them $5.00 and then leave.

DON'T LET THEM WASH YOUR CAR.

Help the cause but don't let them touch your car. Now that's a Win/Win deal.

:xyxthumbs:

DetailKitty
07-21-2014, 11:35 AM
they could use an sos pad to clean it for all i care. Lol

sent from my htc6435lvw using ag online

hahahahahahahahahaha

Romach
07-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Lol, I nearly gave my phone a coffee shower

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
We have something called Family Readiness Groups in the Army, it's basically a support function for our family members. Car washes are a very common fundraiser, so I'm with ya' Mike. :D

tuscarora dave
07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Omg, haven't seen one in a while, but I drove by one today.

I absolutely cringed as I drove by...

Not only were there raggedy towels on the ground being used to dry cars, but they had small children manning a vacuum.... I can only imagine what panels they were smacking the hose and plastic head into :doh:

Anyone else get anxiety seeing these?

If you think you cringe driving by one...try being involved in one...:eek: Check it out...>>> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/36160-doing-fund-raiser-car-wash-today.html

DetailKitty
07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
If you think you cringe driving by one...try being involved in one...:eek: Check it out...>>> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/36160-doing-fund-raiser-car-wash-today.html

That's really nice of you Dave... you are one of the good guys :dblthumb2:

Real Riders
07-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Do you think it would be a good idea as a professional detailer to give some of your time and stop by and educate the fund raisers on how to wash a car correctly? The next time the local church has a car wash, I am going to take a couple buckets with grit guards and volunteer to help them with the car wash. I don't think it would hurt to teach other people what we have learned, and it is for a good cause