PDA

View Full Version : ONR Wash Question.

Pages : [1] 2

A2D Signature
07-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I've never attempted a wash with ONR yet. I have been searching but haven't found anything that says if you could use a different method from Garry Dean.

I thought i read before of someone using a single bucket with grit guard and wash mitt with ONR.

Either way, some info for attempting my first rinse less wash would be awesome. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenesisCoupe
07-19-2014, 03:17 PM
The other method is a wash mitt and ONR/water in a bucket. If i can't spray the car down with water first (aka mobile detailing). I put an ounce or two of ONR in a 32oz sprayer and spray panel by panel before going over it with a wash mitt.

FUNX650
07-19-2014, 03:35 PM
So many variations to BillD's...OOOPS!...GD's rinseless car washing. Here's one of 'em:

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhyJix0IVs"]Part 1 - How to use a Rinseless Car Wash to wash your car - YouTube[/video]
[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmXZG85dByk"]Part 2 - How to use a Rinseless Car Wash to wash your car - YouTube[/video]

Bob

swanicyouth
07-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Maybe look on You Tube for videos from Optimum if your confused. Basically, ONR is just a rinseless wash. So, it's as easy as just washing your car with whatever method you choose and not rinsing it.

The GDWM uses a bunch of towels in a small volume of water - since the dirty towels are discarded and doesn't go back in solution. You can just do a 2BM with ONR as well (sans hose) - using the clean water bucket to rinse your mitt.

The possibilities of exactly how to do a rinseless wash are almost infinite. Basically, you want to make sure your wash solution and media stay as clean as possible.

Lowejackson
07-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Here is another variation from Optimum (Europe). The video starts off with Power Clean but ONR is used about one minute in

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLdrhavb1D8]Optimum Power Clean, Dry and Seal in one step - YouTube[/video]

I do think sometimes people can over analyse using a rinseless wash. My approach is to prespray with ONR and then just wash the panel as if using a traditional shampoo. I use a drying towel to remove the majority of the water and then something like OCW with a MF cloth to finish the panel. The OCW not only adds wax but also provides a little lubrication to reduce any marring by wiping with a bone dry cloth

LaFawnduh
07-19-2014, 07:05 PM
I use 3 buckets... One for wheels, one with rinseless solution, another just water. Also a small spray bottle with waterless to pre-treat a panel, two chenille MF wash mitts (one for upper panels, one for lower/rear) and a lambswool mitt for wheels. And of course drying towels (waffle weave) using blotting method.

Spray panel first while mitts soak, wipe panel, drop mitt in water to soak, dry. Then pre-spray next panel, let is sit while I clean mitts, and repeat process again. Takes about 45min - 1hr for my Jeep Grand Cherokee (includes doing door jambs, around lift gate and under hood).

Gary Deam method is a little faster but I don't like the soggy MF towels hanging around.

Kamakaz1961
07-19-2014, 08:28 PM
The other method is a wash mitt and ONR/water in a bucket. If i can't spray the car down with water first (aka mobile detailing). I put an ounce or two of ONR in a 32oz sprayer and spray panel by panel before going over it with a wash mitt.

:iagree:

Bingo!! the sprayer works wonders!! I use a 2-bucket 2-grit guard method. One bucket for rinsing and the other bucket with ONR. I saturate a panel 1 at a time with the sprayer. I then use the wash mitt with ONR (I like Optimum Rinsless wash with wax). Then I rinse the mitt with the rinse bucket.

Takes a little longer, however, the chances of scratching you car is greatly reduced (my car is Black too). BTW, I will remove any dust with a duster VERY CAREFULLY first before I use the rinseless wash method.

Ideally a foam gun 2-bucket wash is the best way to go, however, I live in heavily regulated California and they are cracking down on excessive water use.

This method even "meets" the liberals demands...especially when I tell them it is eco friendly.

Use a sprayer on each panel!!

Grifffx4
07-19-2014, 08:46 PM
I just did a ONR wash tonight using the GDWM.

I wasn't sure what dilution ratio for the 32oz sprayer so I went with 1oz ONR in the sprayer. Is this a good ratio?

dsg03gt
07-19-2014, 08:51 PM
I think its an ounce of ONR per gallon of water for the QD.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

StuDLei
07-19-2014, 08:58 PM
I've been washing with ONR for years. I used to do two bucket method but now I just use one bucket and I don't even have grit guards. I really don't think there is much chance to damage your vehicle unless it's very dirty.

Sometimes I will soak one rag (maybe two) and do the bottom of the car first and never put those rags back in the water. My car is usually not very dirty when I wash it, and I'm just not a fan of the GD method, because I don't like using towels as much as my wash bone.

After I'm done with the car, I dump the used ONR solution into a separate bucket and clean the wheels.

Works for me. By the way, I have a non-metallic black 350z with really soft paint. Swirls are minimal and my guess is they derive not from the wash, but from the normal wear and tear of driving and drying.

I also use a light polish on my car once or twice a year. It doesn't take much to get my car back to 90-100%.

Real Riders
07-20-2014, 12:20 AM
The problem I have with washing with a two bucket method is the wash mitt gets too dirty on the lower panels. Studlei mentioned in the post above to wash the bottom of the car first with microfiber towels soaked in ONR, never reintroducing the microfibers back to the solution. I have never washed the lower parts of the car first but I think this is a great idea. This way you remove the heavy dirt from the lower parts of the car first. Then you can wash the rest of the car with the wash mitt that will stay cleaner since the heavy dirt has already been removed

StuDLei
07-20-2014, 02:20 AM
The problem I have with washing with a two bucket method is the wash mitt gets too dirty on the lower panels. Studlei mentioned in the post above to wash the bottom of the car first with microfiber towels soaked in ONR, never reintroducing the microfibers back to the solution. I have never washed the lower parts of the car first but I think this is a great idea. This way you remove the heavy dirt from the lower parts of the car first. Then you can wash the rest of the car with the wash mitt that will stay cleaner since the heavy dirt has already been removed

Ha, thanks!

It works for me partly because I have a small car. The first thing I do when washing is get a sopping wet towel and run it along the lowest parts of the car, being sure to turn the towel to a clean side every so often. I then wring that towel out and set it in my dirty pile and then just go on and wash the car (ONR). I DO NOT dry the lower parts at this time, because they're going to get washed again very soon.

Real Riders
07-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Ha, thanks!

It works for me partly because I have a small car. The first thing I do when washing is get a sopping wet towel and run it along the lowest parts of the car, being sure to turn the towel to a clean side every so often. I then wring that towel out and set it in my dirty pile and then just go on and wash the car (ONR). I DO NOT dry the lower parts at this time, because they're going to get washed again very soon.

Yes I was wondering when you dried the lower panels. That is a great idea to not dry the panels at first since you are going to wash them again anyway. This way it saves time since you will only be drying the panel once. Thanks for the tip

MattPersman
07-21-2014, 05:05 AM
I just think if you have many MFs already that the GDWM is the quickest, most efficient way. You can just grab your bucket with these solution and towels in it already. Walk to your car with your drying towel as well and start working.

I used a grout sponge for a while instead of MFs but then you gotta rinse the sponge instead of just moving on to the next clean towel. So that is less work to me. More laundry though.

Calendyr
07-21-2014, 05:20 AM
I really like the improved Garry Dean method for doing ONR washes. I just put 6 MF towels in the bucket, and dispose of them in a secondary bucket when all sides of the towel are dirty.

I always use 6 but I have never needed more than 5, and most of the time I can do a whole vehicle with 3 or 4.