PDA

View Full Version : Help with Prima products

dboeren
07-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Help me fill in a blank here...

I do not yet have an orbital. It's on my list, probably for xmas or something. But for now it's hands only. This is for a yellow car.

I was thinking of using Amigo + either Epic/Banana (some people apparently use both) after wash, and probably use Slick as a quick detailer. I’d like some filling capability to get me by until I can pick up an orbital (looking at the Griots) which it sounds like Amigo and Banana are both noted for. I also have a clay bar.

The car is outdoors a lot so UV protection is important (I'm in Atlanta, GA). I understand that Banana Gloss is not a long lived product but I’m generally OK with that as I like working on the car every 2-3 weeks.

But then I was reading about Hydro Max which seems to get great reviews but I'm not sure where this goes in the sequence or what it replaces (Epic?) Would it be something like Amigo->Hydro Max->Banana Gloss? Or is the Banana Gloss even that necessary after Hydro Max?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

TheFrankenberry
07-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Call Prima - great people to talk to. Very willing to LISTEN, and recommend products based on your needs/desires.

Belair
07-18-2014, 01:24 PM
^^ What he said. Nick is the most knowledgable source for his products. He's not always in the store but email works well. For now, HydroMax is a sealant, not a wax, and I use it as the final step with nothing on top.

dboeren
07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I actually did email them back on Wednesday (sales@primacarcare.com), but haven't gotten a reply yet. I wasn't planning to be urgent about it but then I just saw the 1-day 20% + Free Shipping code that went up and suddenly now I want a quicker answer :)

I will try giving them a call though and see if I can get ahold of Nick or someone else knowledgeable to give me their insight, thanks.

Edit: OK, called and left a message...

dboeren
07-18-2014, 04:19 PM
So from their website...

Epic is a synthetic wax, with resins and polymers
Banana Gloss is a liquid wax, mostly resins with "a touch of carnauba"
Hydro is spray-on wax with high levels of polymers
Hydro Max is a sealant, the spray form of Hydro Seal

Still not sure which 1-2 of these would be the best choice to get a rich wet look on yellow paint. I'm also open to using a traditional carnauba wax (either liquid or paste) if that's the better way to go.

Haven't been able to get ahold of them on the phone yet.

CDot
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
So from their website...

Epic is a synthetic wax, with resins and polymers
Banana Gloss is a liquid wax, mostly resins with "a touch of carnauba"
Hydro Wax-As-You-Dry is spray-on wax with high levels of polymers
Hydro Max is a sealant, the spray form of Hydro Seal

Still not sure which 1-2 of these would be the best choice to get a rich wet look on yellow paint. I'm also open to using a traditional carnauba wax (either liquid or paste) if that's the better way to go.

Haven't been able to get ahold of them on the phone yet.

Made a small correction.

Belair
07-18-2014, 05:53 PM
I actually did email them back on Wednesday (sales@primacarcare.com), but haven't gotten a reply yet...Edit: OK, called and left a message...

That is not good customer service.

sjb89
07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
I would try Banana Gloss, then hit it with Hydro Max. Best of both worlds. Prima is good stuff. Very easy to use. Maintain with Slick. I like to dilute Slick 1:1. Give it a try. Good luck.

PA DETAILER
07-19-2014, 06:48 AM
My prima process is the following (all by hand)
1. AMIGO
2. HYDRO MAX
3. WAX AS YOU DRY (TO MAINTAIN)

dboeren
07-19-2014, 07:48 PM
I never was able to get ahold of Prima yesterday and the hot20 coupon was expiring so I went ahead and placed an order anyway.

I ended up getting Amigo, Epic, & Banana Gloss plus Slick for touch-ups. I also grabbed some Nero for the tires & dash.

I realize that Hydro/Hydro Max are popular for being low-effort sprays but I see my time washing the car as a nice break, a little bit of "me time" (you family guys know what I'm talking about), so this isn't a big feature for me. Also, the reviews of Epic tend to describe it as "wet" where the Hydro Max reviews mostly say "shiny". I think I like the sound of "wet" more.

So here's my next question: I've read that Epic has a long cure time where it continues to improve for something like 24 hours. The descriptions say that you can drive in the rain and it won't affect this, just don't use SOAP on it until it's fully cures. Is it OK to put Banana Wax, other waxes, or Slick on it right away, or do these also have to wait for it to cure?

I expect probably not, and I haven't found any accounts of problems, but it would be good to be certain :)

dboeren
07-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Just wanted to give an update to this thread - I got an reply back from Nick @ Prima. Turns out he was out in the woods for the past few days on a no-doubt well-earned vacation and didn't have access to email.

Tacket
07-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Got a bottle of Banana Gloss on the way that I'm excited to try out. Likely will top and maintain with Hydro.

CDot
07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Just wanted to give an update to this thread - I got an reply back from Nick @ Prima. Turns out he was out in the woods for the past few days on a no-doubt well-earned vacation and didn't have access to email.

Good to know it wasn't a failure of customer service!

Got a bottle of Banana Gloss on the way that I'm excited to try out. Likely will top and maintain with Hydro.

Isn't Banana Gloss their carnauba? If so, will topping the wax with a sealant cause longevity issues or do the products work that well together? I'd love to see a review when you get your bottle.

Just curious...I've never tried Prima products before and those who use them, love them.

Desertnate
07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I've got some Amigo inbound as well to get ready for the fall prep of my vehicles (had to take advantage of the weekend sale). I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.