PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up So Cal Geeks: New Water Use Fines

Pages : [1] 2 3

cleanmycorolla
07-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Wanted to share, they're on patrol now. Had two come by in Pasadena yesterday alone, they fined the building next to us!

Drought buster patrols the streets of Los Angeles (http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20140716/drought-buster-patrols-the-streets-of-los-angeles)

HUMP DIESEL
07-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I heard about this. Stock up on your waterless washes.

HUMP

Rmd
07-18-2014, 11:46 AM
My understanding was that the car washing fine applied to using hose without a shutoff nozzle like a pistol grip or firemans nozzle. I'll check it out and report back.
Also, try to stay on very friendly terms with your neighbors. Reporting of water use violations frequently comes from individuals.

BillE
07-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Not trying to sound like a smart a**...having grown up in LA in the late 40's and 50's there was talk even back then that water was going to be a problem down the road.

Discounting the Mulholland (sp?) mess in the 30's, the talk of running various pipelines from 'here to there' was constantly a subject of news, conversations, editorials. But, folks just kept using it like it was never ending. Sadly, it has come around to bite us in the butt.

Bill

CleanGeek12
07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Good thing I just purchased UWW

cleanmycorolla
07-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Not trying to sound like a smart a**...having grown up in LA in the late 40's and 50's there was talk even back then that water was going to be a problem down the road.

Discounting the Mulholland (sp?) mess in the 30's, the talk of running various pipelines from 'here to there' was constantly a subject of news, conversations, editorials. But, folks just kept using it like it was never ending. Sadly, it has come around to bite us in the butt.

Bill

Whats crazier, is if you drive up the Grape Vine, you can see our water flow coming from north, to supply us down here. It is crazy. Open, man made trench with water chugging down....

Kamakaz1961
07-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I live in Orange County, CA....so far (will probably change) I have not experienced any issues. However, I am going to more of a rinse-less wash (not the ideal method for me but no choice) in the day time. I usually wash the car at night when most of the neighbors are inside. Again, I have set my garage so I can clean at night.

Good ol' California Land of the Fruits and Nuts. The most regulated, taxed, and liberal State. Oh well, not complaining just adapting.

Thanks for the heads up.

allenk4
07-18-2014, 01:13 PM

Bill

Water is not expensive enough to justify the tremendous amount of electricity to push it thru a pipeline.

Remember, a gallon of water weighs over 8lbs.

Coopers ST
07-18-2014, 03:56 PM
I have never lived in a area with water restrictions, so maybe I don't get it but...The city or whoever you get your water from has set a price per gallon or however they sell it to you. What do they care what you do with it? If I pay the going rate for a tomato does it really matter if I take it outside and eat it, or throw it on the ground just to see it splat? Even if it was the last tomato in the world that could do (insert what you want here) if I had the money does it matter if I use to to (insert what you did before) or toss it in the trash?
I paid for the gallon of water, if I want to wash my car with it, or dump it down the drain, or not buy it just because, does it really matter?
Again I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't know. Can they really fine me for using the product I paid for in the matter I choose?

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2014, 04:02 PM
My understanding was that the car washing fine applied to using hose without a shutoff nozzle
Correct.

Bryan W
07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
I have never lived in a area with water restrictions, so maybe I don't get it but...The city or whoever you get your water from has set a price per gallon or however they sell it to you. What do they care what you do with it?
Again I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't know. Can they really fine me for using the product I paid for in the matter I choose?

Hi Coopers. New California resident here.

On one hand I agree with you. I take "navy showers" so the water is only running for about 60 seconds total (~2 gallons) when I shower, which is not even every day (sorry if that's too much information). If a neighbor criticized me for washing my car, I would not hesitate to share my shower habits and ask if my 10-gallon car wash routine is really any of their business.

My household's water usage is less than 50% of the maximum that would be allowed if they started fining for overuse in our county, so why shouldn't I be allowed to wash my car?

But going back of your tomato analogy, if tomatoes were the only food that could keep people alive, and you were buying more than you needed for eating just to smash them on the ground, then yes, I think it would be reasonable to crack down on that behavior.

Right now where I live, we're not forbidden from watering lawns or washing cars, but there are some reasonable restrictions: hoses must have a trigger nozzle, you have to fix leaky sprinklers and pipes, you can only water ever other day, etc. Even in non-drought years, these are good practices to follow. After all, water doesn't just grow on trees.

Bunky
07-18-2014, 04:46 PM
I am surprised that CA has not started building massive water desalination plants. The rivers can only supply so much for the SoCal population...and taking some from neighbors.

allenk4
07-18-2014, 05:14 PM
"Can they really fine me for using the product I paid for in the matter I choose? "

They Can and They Will

They are the Government and they are here to help

allenk4
07-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I am surprised that CA has not started building massive water desalination plants. The rivers can only supply so much for the SoCal population...and taking some from neighbors.

Way too expensive

Uses a lot of Evil Electricity too

Bunky
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Way too expensive

Uses a lot of Evil Electricity too

Time for Proposition 42.