PDA

View Full Version : DA Compounding?

mattjg
07-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it time to post :-)
I have worked as a detailer on and off most of my life and am currently employed at a large Toyota dealership here in Oz.
I mainly prep sold new cars, ex display and demo's and due to my past experience always selected to prep the darker colored cars. Correction was always done if needed with rotary and da follow up but recently I am using the DA solely . Opt Mf pads and LC foam. which I supply myself for job satisfaction. (Trying to change the usual dealership ways)
The time allowed on cars is 3 to 4 hours believe it or not.

Anyway I had works DA die the other day and my question is does the pressure needed when compounding with a DA put excess stress on a machine and therefore shorten its working life?

BobbyG
07-18-2014, 06:31 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Matt! :props:

When you think about it, you're using the machine as it was intended. Every machine built has a life expectancy and will eventually wear out.

I've had new machines last less than a year. I also have a first generation Porter Cable 7424 that's closing in on 16 yeas and still going strong. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw but other times it's the quality of the assembled parts, quality control, how and where it's assembled.

Don't worry, it's not you.....:cheers:

mattjg
07-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome and reply BobbyG.
The DA is surely doing the trick with less finishing steps compared#to the#rotary.
I'm feeling better now that the DA's will hold up :)

Mike Phillips
07-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I am using the DA solely . Opt Mf pads and LC foam. which I supply myself for job satisfaction.

(Trying to change the usual dealership ways)

That shows your integrity for doing a job right the first time regardless of the limitations imposed by the company you work for.

Impressed.

:dblthumb2:

dlc95
07-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Quite a while back I bought a 5" Craftsman orbital sander. It's variable speed with a fixed backing plate. I've actually been using that for correction work. I did Mustang, Cruz, Ion and Canyon with it, and it's holding up just fine. My PC and Flex 3401 are probably wondering what the deal is.

wdmaccord
07-18-2014, 08:34 AM
If by DA you mean Random Orbital, have your dealership order a Griot's 6". Lifetime warranty and I have had to use it...no questions asked and I had a new machine in 10 days.

If you are talking forced rotation DA like Flex, then obviously this doesn't apply.

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2014, 08:38 AM
If by DA you mean Random Orbital, have your dealership order a Griot's 6". Lifetime warranty and I have had to use it...no questions asked and I had a new machine in 10 days.

He's in Australia, I'm not sure he has that option.

To the OP, kudos to you, but try to sell your management on the Meg's MF DA system, which is geared toward the kind of reconditioning you are doing and designed to replace rotaries for that. At least then your employer will be supplying the materials instead of you.

mattjg
07-19-2014, 04:05 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

A Groits would be great but here in Australia it's a hard to get them.
I had taken my own RO into work yesterday while the other is getting repaired,

The DA Compounding hasn't affected my efficiency rating at work due to the majority of my jobs being new and near New cars so my employer is happy.
We do have more time on cars than other places I have worked though.

The Megs MF system would be a great product to pitch.
I will have to see what I can do, :)

Calendyr
07-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it time to post :-)
I have worked as a detailer on and off most of my life and am currently employed at a large Toyota dealership here in Oz.
I mainly prep sold new cars, ex display and demo's and due to my past experience always selected to prep the darker colored cars. Correction was always done if needed with rotary and da follow up but recently I am using the DA solely . Opt Mf pads and LC foam. which I supply myself for job satisfaction. (Trying to change the usual dealership ways)
The time allowed on cars is 3 to 4 hours believe it or not.

Anyway I had works DA die the other day and my question is does the pressure needed when compounding with a DA put excess stress on a machine and therefore shorten its working life?

Good to see someone at a dealership trying to improve things. Kudos to you!

Regarding pressure, I would not worry about it. If you are using a Rupes 21 or 15, they don't require much pressure to work. If you are using something else, definatelly apply pressure if you want the compound to do it's work.