PDA

View Full Version : Stained wheels

Autogk
07-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Opticoated and Tuff Shined a set of wheels/tires today. Actually left one wheel without OC because it is stained. These wheels had brake rust residue, dirt, you name it, caked on. The one wheel I didn't OC also had streak marks. Once I cleaned them all up, I tried everything I could think of on this wheel- Clay, Meg's UC with Meg's wheel polishing Drill attachment, metal polish in a tiny area just to see if that'd work, degreaser scrubbed in with a toothbrush, etc. I don't think there's anything that can be done, as someone could have sprayed a chemical on and never rinsed it off and the finish of the wheel is permanently damaged. According to the owner, the stains/streaks have been there for years. Is there anything else I should try or should I just OC it and be done with it?

Edit: the darker parts of the stain is actually where the finish is gone, as if a harsh chemical ate into it.

Thanks

refreshauto
07-17-2014, 05:22 PM
other than sanding them down and respraying them there is not a whole that can be done to fix this. if the damage is down to bare metal then there is no choice but to either respray or powder coat

Autogk
07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks. It doesn't look that bad until you are looking directly at them up close. I'll ask the owner what they want to do, probably just OC them and be done.