PDA

View Full Version : anyone here use Tuff Shine? I have a question

Pages : [1] 2

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
I bought this product after hearing a bunch of people wow over it. Now this should be a dead simple product to use, spray on tire, let dwell, scrub with brush then rinse off. Not even I can mess this one up. I parked my car in the shade and went to work on it. I spray on the TS, let it dwell, but when I scrub with the TS brush I'm not getting any foam. I tried again this time using a lot more TS, again no foam. Using my head I tried on an already wet tire, nope no foam. In the videos on Youtube I'm seeing all sorts of brown foam when they start using the product. And the directions say to do the steps until you scrub and the foam's white. The product's clearly doing something as my brush is pretty dark after I've agitated the tire. But with no foam I'm wondering how well this products working for me.

I've tried on 3 different occasions now and the same story, spray, wait a minute, scrub, nope no foam.

This is the regular bottle that hasn't been diluted. And I have tire dressing on my wheel.

07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I had the same experience, I didn't really see anything till about the 5th round of scrubbing. Yes my brush also turned black even though there was no foam or white bubbles. I used 2 bottles of TufShine cleaner...

refreshauto
07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
i always use a wash bucket with soap to clean wheels with tuff shine and have had no problems.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm kind of upset I'm not getting the same results the youtube video people did. But if this is normal for you 2, I'm guessing I don't need to worry.

Good to know I wasn't screwing up a product that's idiot proof :D

I should probably order the gallon concentrate, unless I'm way overusing it, this stuff goes pretty quick.

07-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Curious as to what product you had on the tires and how old the tires are? I had CarPro PERL on for a little while, I would have thought it would have been a breeze to clean since the tires are practically brand new...

refreshauto
07-17-2014, 05:24 PM
maybe if you get a foaming spray bottle the outcome could be different, but only time i get it to foam up is by using the wash bucket

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Curious as to what product you had on the tires and how old the tires are? I had CarPro PERL on for a little while, I would have thought it would have been a breeze to clean since the tires are practically brand new...

Last 2 things I used were Chemical Guys VRP and Miguairs DUB whatever shine. Tires are I dunno a bit over a year old I guess. What was throwing me off here's when you've applied enough coatings the foam from scrubbing will be white. I'm not getting any foam of any color. Ok, I'm not getting brown foam, my tires aren't bad, but I should get the white stuff. And on the YT videos they don't just get a little, there's a whole lot.

oh well...

07-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah scrub, scrub, scrub, nothing but the brush is hella black - go figure...6-7 is the magic number I'm sure you'll get it :dblthumb2:

trekkeruss
07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
The Tuf Shine cleaner is very expensive, so to be sure I get the most out of it, I always do a pre-cleaning with something like Super Clean degreaser. I scrub the tires until I get white foam with it, then switch to the TS cleaner.

allenk4
07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Just to confirm you bought the kit and you using the TufShine CLEANER to prep for application of the TufShine protectant...right?

Kappy
07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I had a very similar experience.

In the past year I've attempted to clean the tires with a variety of cleaners, just to see if I could stop the black from coming off on the tire brush or sponge I use when cleaning them. The tires themselves never look that dirty - they just turn everything that touches them black. I've watched videos that show the release of brown foam and tried some of the suggested products, including two different AP cleaners at full strength. I've never seen brown foam released from my tires, no matter what I used for cleaning, and after cleaning they don't look much different from where I started, other than they could use some tire dressing.

After reading some great reviews for the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, I wanted to see if it would give me better results. I followed the directions posted on the Tuf Shine website, which are a little more detailed than those on the bottle of cleaner.

I applied 3 coats of Tuf Shine Cleaner to each of my tires using the Tuf Shine tire brush. As with other cleaners, I wasn't able to get the Tuf Shine Cleaner to foam up, and very little dirt seemed to come to the surface.

After the initial application to the first tire, I rinsed the brush using the hose as instructed, and it came out perfectly clean. After a second application of cleaner, the Tuf Shine brush stained and I couldn't rinse it clean. I tried a third application, and there was no change in the tire or the brush.

When I applied the first coat of Tuf Shine cleaner to the second tire, for some reason the brush rinsed almost completely clean, but that was the last time it did that. After the next application of cleaner, dirt remained in the brush after rinsing, and it was never as clean as when I started. When I finished cleaning all four tires, I soaked the brush in mineral spirits, which removed most of the dirt.

I hadn't ordered the Tuf Shine kit - only the cleaner and brush - because I wanted to see if I could clean the tires thoroughly before applying a different dressing or coating. I didn't want to try the Tuf Shine clearcoat, unless I knew that I used the cleaning product correctly and the tires themselves were properly prepared. Opti-Bond is the only dressing that's been applied to the tires since I've owned the car, other than a few applications of EcoTouch Tire Shine.

I used almost an entire bottle of Tuf Shine Cleaner for four tires, and maybe it still wasn't enough product. It just seemed that no matter how much I applied, and how much I scrubbed, there was no foaming action during brushing, or any indication that the cleaner was doing anything, other than getting the brush dirty. When dry, the tires looked like they did when I started, minus the tire dressing, which is what happened with other cleaners.

I called Tuf Shine and spoke to Bob to see if he could recommend something else that I could try, or figure out what I did wrong. We traded some emails, and he said it's an unusual situation and recommended an application of lacquer thinner to see if it could remove whatever might be on the tires. I'm not a big fan of lacquer thinner and I think I'd rather live with the problem. Since the tires don't actually look bad, and I have a lifetime supply of Opti-Bond, I probably won't worry about getting them clean enough for the Tuf Shine Tire Coating.

swanicyouth
07-17-2014, 07:38 PM
If you have a silicone/solvent based dressing on the tire (Dub?) - you may not get foam for a few cleanings. It's very important to clean the bristles of the brush when they turn dark/black with clean running water (not in a bucket). I can not stress this enough. If not, you will just re-deposit the old dressing or dirt onto the tire.

Also, I have a few other tips. First, always use the cleaner (non concentrate version ) diluted with DI water 1:1. This is a tip directly from Tuff Shine, and makes the cleaner go twice as far (costs half as much) - and doesn't really impact the cleaning ability much - if at all. Use DI water (not tap) - as mineral free water will ALWAYS suds up better than hard tap water.

Second, always use the cleaner with a foaming sprayer. Mixing it with water seems to make it foam up even better. I use the Griot's Foaming Sprayer - but any will work.

Third, if your tire is gunked up with some silicone nasty dressing, clean with a strong APC first to get the majority of it off first. I recommend LA's Totally Awesome - which costs $1 for 16oz at the Dollar Store. In fact, I just bought a whole bunch of bottles of this product and dumped them in an empty gallon bottle with a pump dispenser. You can use LATA neat, or cut 50% with water.

Fourth, instead of scrubbing and scrubbing the tire over and over like 10x then rinsing - go around the tire once or twice with minimal cleaner. Then rinse. Then repeat. The silicone needs to be rinsed off the tire, and the cleaner can only take so much off at a time. Scrubbing over and over the same dirty cleaner doesn't yield better results. Spraying tons of cleaner on the tire (without rinsing) doesn't yield better results and just means tons of good cleaner will end up on the ground. You have to frequently rinse and apply more cleaner.

Fifth, after your initial go round the tire and rinse, spray the cleaner directly on the brush as opposed to the tire. Then, work on about 1/3 of the tire at a time. Rinse (brush and tire), then repeat on the next third. You will use less product this way, because you work are will be shrunk to 1/3 of the tire and half the cleaner won't be running off the tire onto the ground.

Sixth, if you can't get the brush clean - it's saturated. Clean it with mineral spirits until it's snow white.this is done by putting some mineral spirits on an old terry towel, then scrubbing the brush on the towel - then rinsing.

I still say nothing cleans tires like TS Tire Cleaner once the learning curve is passed. I did some recent comparisons with Meg's Super Degreaser vrs TS Tire Cleaner - there was no comparison. TS killed SD. TS Tire Cleaner removed body shop paint from a tire. Other APCs wouldn't touch it.

allenk4
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
If your brush was getting "dirty"...the tires must have been getting cleaner; right?

allenk4
07-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Great pointers Swanicyouth

Mizzoutiger
07-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I use it and love it, but you must invest the time to do it right!

Tips.
- Thorough cleaning (esp in grooves/letters) is critical for best results. I usually spend at least 20 minutes per tire. And I usually use on new tires, since easier to clean if never had tire dressings
- PC makes cleaning easier; Mike shows how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxO6u2xSbIoAs
- More great tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EJTYvP6w0
- Apply clearcoat in thin layers and allow to dry between each layer; layer until you reach desired shine/gloss