PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless wash process

Pages : [1] 2 3

frankprozzoly
07-17-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to see if a step or two can be eliminated.

This is how I do a rinseless wash.
I spray a panel down with ONR. Then take my mitt or towel from ONR filled bucket, wipe off.

Then ring out a WW in water bucket. Wipe down.

Then wipe with dry MF to eliminate streaks.

My question is can I spray QD on the wet panel and be done with it. Would the wet ONR panel sprayed with QD still streak or would QD dry things up and allow me to skip a step

frankprozzoly
07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
What I meant is spray QD then wipe off and not have any streaks

tiSS'er
07-17-2014, 10:02 AM
I use the Gary Dean method with 1 gallon of distilled water ($0.99) and 1oz of ONR. Blot dry with a waffle weave and final wipe with a dry MF towel. No streaks on a non-metallic black.

Depending on how wet your panel is after you ONR, you can use a spray wax or QD before drying. If you really have a lot of ONR solution on the panel after the wash, I would blot dry to remove the majority of the solution, then QD with a dry MF towel for a final wipe.

FUNX650
07-17-2014, 10:31 AM
IMO...
By inserting a QD-step in the ONR rinseless-wash process means that: you either don't exactly place much trust in ONR's ability to leave a surface "shiny/slick"/etc...
or, don't have the rinseless-wash process' steps quite down pat yet.

If that's the case:
You may be miles ahead by using the following rinseless-product. And the "two towel" wipe-down system:

Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D-11501, rinseless car wash, rinseless wash and wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html)

Bob

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Everybody's got their own process, but I'm not sure why you are doing the drying with a wet towel then a dry towel. You shouldn't get any streaking in the drying process--ONR doesn't streak. If you are getting streaking, you don't have have the surface clean enough before drying.

Are you returning your wash media to the bucket after using it on the car? Are you using a rinse bucket? I usually don't do a presoak unless there is winter salt or a lot of dirt. There are 100 ways to do this.

cleanmycorolla
07-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Try distilled water too, in addition to what SETEC said, distilled water leaves no streak and utilizes the product to its fullest.

Tacket
07-17-2014, 08:25 PM
IMO...
By inserting a QD-step in the ONR rinseless-wash process means that: you either don't exactly place much trust in ONR's ability to leave a surface "shiny/slick"/etc...
or, don't have the rinseless-wash process' steps quite down pat yet.

If that's the case:
You may be miles ahead by using the following rinseless-product. And the "two towel" wipe-down system:

Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D-11501, rinseless car wash, rinseless wash and wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html)

Bob

Just did my first waterless wash yesterday and am hooked. I got the Eco Touch WW on sale at Target ($4/bottle) but have been interested in the Meg's due to it being more economical. You think the Wash & Wax or the regular Wash product is the way to go? I'm torn between the idea of a wash that leaves no protection or one that does. I usually do a spray wax when drying, but would likely not be doing that step if doing a WW.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just saw the Meg's product mentioned which I've been interested in.

tiSS'er
07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Just did my first waterless wash yesterday and am hooked. I got the Eco Touch WW on sale at Target ($4/bottle) but have been interested in the Meg's due to it being more economical. You think the Wash & Wax or the regular Wash product is the way to go? I'm torn between the idea of a wash that leaves no protection or one that does. I usually do a spray wax when drying, but would likely not be doing that step if doing a WW.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just saw the Meg's product mentioned which I've been interested in.

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+) or Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless wash with Caranuba are far better deals than the Megs product. The Megs product is very good, but a pricey in comparison.

UWW+ is my favorite on my black car, Pinnacle is my overall favorite as it is much slicker than either of the other choices and the caranuba looks great. It is streaky due to the wax on my black car. Megs did not streak.

Tacket
07-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+) or Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless wash with Caranuba are far better deals than the Megs product. The Megs product is very good, but a pricey in comparison.

UWW+ is my favorite on my black car, Pinnacle is my overall favorite as it is much slicker than either of the other choices and the caranuba looks great. It is streaky due to the wax on my black car. Megs did not streak.

Good to know. My car is black as well. Always looking for a deal. Will have to give UWW+ a serious look as well.

tiSS'er
07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Good to know. My car is black as well. Always looking for a deal. Will have to give UWW+ a serious look as well.

For a black car UWW+ is the only thing you need. Buy a gallon of distilled water and mix at 1oz to 44oz of water. UWW+ is praised on this site for a reason, it's excellent. I no longer need any quick detailers, UWW+ replaced them. It looks better and is far safer to use. I actually waterless wash my car every 2-3 days now. Only takes 30 minutes, and keeping a car clean is easier than getting a car clean.

I use only quality MF towels, and I have yet to see any paint damage from UWW+. I do go around my car with my detail light checking for streaks, so if it were to damage, I would know about it. Once my Pinnacle runs out, my wifes car will be getting UWW+ as well. 1 gallon of UWW+ for $120 will make 44 gallons of waterless wash, pretty economical if you ask me.

Real Riders
07-17-2014, 11:41 PM
I did a Rinseless Wash on a customers car today in the hot sun. I pre soaked the panel with ONR, washed the panel with a wash mitt dipped in ONR and water from the bucket. I then wiped the panel with a rung out damp microfiber pulled from the ONR Bucket. After I wash the whole car and dried it using this method, I go over each panel with quick detailer and a dry microfiber towel and it turned out great. If a panel starts to dry too fast, I spray it down with Ultima Waterless Wash for added lubricity while drying

frankprozzoly
07-18-2014, 02:49 AM
I have meguiars express wash and ONR. Megs seems to shine better but its a little soapy. Rinseless wash seems to take longer than a traditional wash but it's easier to dry and less water is used

I'll skip the wet WW wipe and just start drying. I just try doing everything and anything that might prohibit scratches

It does stain if you let it dry. I think that's why I wiped first with rung out wet WW

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Frank, buddy--are you doing the Bill D method (use the media once), single bucket, rinse bucket, what?

I've been doing rinseless washes since before there was ONR, and I've done it every different way. I don't exclusively rinseless wash, so I'm not an expert, but I have listened to what the experts have to say (and some of them have been doing rinseless since some of today's "experts" were in short pants).

The "basic" method is (whether you are using a single bucket or two bucket) is to saturate the media, and wipe your panel down. If it's very dirty, you may want to return the media to the bucket and wipe the panel a second time (a variation is, if, say, you are using media like "The Bone" is to wipe your panel or section with one side of the media, then rewipe with the clean side). Then dry the section/panel. If you get dirt on your drying towel, you are not doing enough wet/cleaning passes. The dirt needs to come off on the wash media or in the bucket, not left on the car for the drying towel.

When your drying media gets too wet to dry fully, use that for a first drying pass, then use a second fresh towel for the final drying wipe. When the first towel gets too saturated, put that one aside, demote the second one to first wipe, and get a fresh one for the final wipe.

There are tons of variations, single-use media, one bucket, two bucket, do you put wash in the rinse bucket or just plain water, do you presoak, do you presoak with WW or RW, do you presoak with regular dilution RW or stronger, what kind of media, towels, mitts, MF sponges, muppet heads, do you dry with a drying aid (spray wax, QD), etc.

In some ways I think the process has become too complicated, or more complicated than it needs to be, to some extent to sell product or create an image.

There are still basics that apply. Don't grind the dirt into the paint, use clean drying media, yada yada yada

frankprozzoly
07-18-2014, 07:43 AM
I think I overdue it because as bob said I don't have confidence in the product and I always worry about everything.
I done things different ways using a mitt or MF edgeless towels.
Honestly I think I'm doing it fine. I just like getting other views.

My car is never that dirty when I do rinseless wash. I only use one bucket. I put an ounce or two in 32oz spray bottle and soak panel.

I don't feel safe putting soaked mitt or towel on dry paint. Then I put about 3oz megs express wash or ONR in 3 gal bucket. Ring out a little and wipe down with clean sides. Mitt is easier but you have to clean it after two wipes.

Maybe I'm doing to big of area. Because if it drys it stains. So because of that I would ring out WW in clean water to make sure I wasn't dragging a dry towel over dry paint. Then I would use low nap towel to buff.

It's alot of wiping but when I had my black accord after done id pull out into the sun and see streaks. Now I have a silver accord so I'm not so concerned.

I start doing half the roof. Then the other side. And every time I sprayed down a new section id get overspray on the clean section. So I have to go back and wipe again

Then I do windows. Then one door at a time. Half the hood. Half front bumper. Same with the back. Maybe I'll start doing even smaller sections. Then that's more wiping. I'm just being too anal always worried about scratches. They're a pain to get out.

frankprozzoly
07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
I did a Rinseless Wash on a customers car today in the hot sun. I pre soaked the panel with ONR, washed the panel with a wash mitt dipped in ONR and water from the bucket. I then wiped the panel with a rung out damp microfiber pulled from the ONR Bucket. After I wash the whole car and dried it using this method, I go over each panel with quick detailer and a dry microfiber towel and it turned out great. If a panel starts to dry too fast, I spray it down with Ultima Waterless Wash for added lubricity while drying

I'm gonna pick up some QD and dry it the way your doing. I'll wait till im done with the car then wipe down with QD ... it's taking me too long trying to get the panels perfect then getting it a little wet again from spraying a new section