PDA

View Full Version : Discolored dashboard from sun or ??? any way to bring it back?

Pages : [1] 2 3

gbrittenum
07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
I have a 1986 Mustang SVO that sat out in the sun for a year, and now I am trying to get things looking back right on it. The dashboard is very discolored either from the year in the sun or Armor All which was very popular when the car was new. Is there anything anyone would recommend to try to clean it? Or if that doesn't work what would be my next step (short of trying to locate a new dash)?

Setec Astronomy
07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
I think the dash is probably discolored not from ArmorAll or sitting in the sun for a year....but from sitting in the sun for 28 years. Doubtful you are going to bring it back to looking new.

You are going to want to gently clean it and then "moisturize" it with some dressing.

I'd probably use these:

DP Total Interior Cleaner cleans plastic, vinyl, leather, carpet, and upholstery without harsh solvents or caustic chemicals. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp340.html)
303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html)

The Guz
07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I agree.

This is a pretty good combo as well.
DP Total Interior Cleaner and DP Interior Surface Protectant come together for superior interior care. (http://www.autogeek.net/dptoinco.html)

jamesboyy
07-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Well it could be discolored from the sun, armor all or moisture therefore I would clean that dashboard with apc(all purpose cleaner) to break though all the layers of dressing etc then I would take a water based dressing of choice and apply three coats of dressing with 15 minute dry time in between each coat now hopefully the dash is looking even again now you can apply one more coat and knock the shine down with a semi damp towel if you don't like a shiny dash. good luck my friend

David Hayward
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
On a car that age you can try what's been advised but really it's probably just faded from age. If the suggestions don't work you can always try a vinyl and plastic dyeing paint.

allenk4
07-16-2014, 07:02 PM
If none of the suggested fixes work: and it is really bothering you:

I think you should be able to find a replacement online for around $200

gbrittenum
07-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to order the DP interior cleaner, since I doubt it is available locally.

No, it has sat in a garage for most of its life. Only driven for fun or raced now and then. It only has 32,000 miles on it and I am the original owner.

Is it difficult to paint/dye vinyl? That may be my only option if cleaning it doesn't work out.

Sadly there were less than 10,000 SVOs made, so parts are hard to source. So I am hoping I can get the dash looking good again with the great suggestions I have gotten.

FUNX650
07-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Being that the dash has only incurred discoloration:
ArmorAll can't be the culprit. Instead...
Isn't:
"Dash cracking" the often reported phenomenon that allegedly happens from its use? :D

Anyway...As suggested:
A good, yet gentle, cleaning; followed by an application of 303AP: should bring new life to the dash.

Note:
Don't be surprised/worried if more than one 303AP
application is needed for this rejuvenation to occur.

Bob

Calendyr
07-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to order the DP interior cleaner, since I doubt it is available locally.

No, it has sat in a garage for most of its life. Only driven for fun or raced now and then. It only has 32,000 miles on it and I am the original owner.

Is it difficult to paint/dye vinyl? That may be my only option if cleaning it doesn't work out.

Sadly there were less than 10,000 SVOs made, so parts are hard to source. So I am hoping I can get the dash looking good again with the great suggestions I have gotten.

I have painted a few leather and vinyls parts so far and did not find it more difficult than painting anything else. The tricks is to apply many very light coats instead of 1 or 2 heavy ones. Depending on the brand of dye paint you purchase, it's usually 10 minutes in between coats. So you are talking about a 2 hour job if you go for 5 or 6 coats.

Once the paint has been applied, I would wait a few weeks and apply a leather conditionner on it. Then make sure to apply protective products to make sure it does't fade again.

David Hayward
07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Also if painting or dyeing make sure its super super clean. You have to remove all protective products in all the cracks and crevices. Scuff it with a light sand paper and do a good scrub with a mineral spirit or a paint prep surface cleaner. You may want to even scrub it in with a brush. If you don't it will bubble up and never stick.

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
No, it has sat in a garage for most of its life. It only has 32,000 miles on it and I am the original owner.

Good for you. Some plastics and rubbers seem to deteriorate simply from age, even if they have been "stored" in benign conditions. Hope this works out for you.

BTW there are many cleaners you could use, you just want to make sure it's something mild.

allenk4
07-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Reproduction parts, including dashboards are readily available.

Why spend $50 on a dye kit and pray for acceptable results.

David Hayward
07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Some people like to try the diy aspect? Idk. If a replacement is fairly cheap I'd swap for that. Depends on the price difference I guess.

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Some people like to try the diy aspect? Idk. If a replacement is fairly cheap I'd swap for that. Depends on the price difference I guess.

Who wants to take out the dash instead of trying to clean it first?

David Hayward
07-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm saying only paint or swap it if his doesn't come clean with any products.