PDA

View Full Version : Waterlogged rag top

Perfessor
08-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Need some info here. I have an '03 Eclipse Spyder w/a black convertible top. I've had it less than a year, so I don't know how well the top was cared for prior to this. I got a 303 fabric top kit (it actally arrived just as I finished waxing the car). Following the directions, I sprayed the top, waited 4 hours and sprayed again. Next day it rained and I noticed that there were areas that appeared to need more treating (i.e. water not beading). So I sprayed again, and again the next day it rained. This time the problem area was mostly around the back window. Again I treated the area. This time after a rain, everything looked good. Today we had a downpour of rain (south florida rainy season). Now after the rain, the entire top and around the window look like it has never been treated at all!! Only on the sides of the top is repelling water.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe with it being such a long time before my using the 303 it needs a whole bottle applied? A different product? Candle wax? Something?

Help please!

Sevenrd
08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I've never tried the 303 convertible top protectant, but usually their stuff is pretty good.

RaggTopp is what I use when treating convertibles. I've always had great results with it.

ScottB
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Ragtopp beads like crazy, but if memory serves you must use the cleaner and a bristle brush first to remove old dirt and contaminents. Maybe the previous owner used a silicone type protectant, and thus the product cannot adhere properly. I would clean then reseal !

Perfessor
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
!$%@#$, Still out to that Fethertip Brush. Tried to get that when I ordered the kit. The only brush I have is too stiff for the top, I use it on the tires. Would a green scrubbing pad be to hard on the top??

TOGWT
08-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I would suggest washing with a d-limonene based (citrus) cleaner (P21S Total Auto Care) to remove old dressings / debris and dry the top very thoroughly before replacing a protectant / dressing

There is a lot of misinformation about protecting convertible fabric tops; if your goal is maximum protection, do not use water beading/sheeting as an indicator, as its caused by surface tension; while its true that it is a visual indicator that a sealant previously applied is still present it does not guarantee that it’s actually providing protection. “If water beads on the surface it’s protected and able to repel stains” (Just like water beading on a paint; it’s due solely to surface tension) the answer to both is - No. The waterproof protection you get from a convertible top comes from the butyl rubber core sandwiched between the outer canvas and the inner pre-shrunk cotton layer. An applied protection only renders the fabric water resistant.

Rode & Schwalenbert Gmbn. (Germany) the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products:

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. It has the best UV protection of any product on the market, and it repels dirt, grease, and oil. It doesn’t make your vinyl top glossy or greasy-looking. It will have the natural matte sheen of new vinyl.

Alternative product- this is the fabric protector recommended by Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) and the Haartz Corporation, 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory new levels. It stops leaks, resists soiling and impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.

Application Methodology

Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
Mask the areas around the fabric top with masking tape (3M® Painters Easy Release Blue Tape) also cover the rear window to avoid over-spray
Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
Apply fabric cleaner (Harrtz RaggTop Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 10 – 20 minutes dependant upon stain. Gently scrub using a soft brush.
Repeat if necessary; applying two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
Allow the fabric to dry for as long as possible (preferably 24-hours) before using the protectant. An hour or two isn’t long enough, it may feel dry but that’s only the uppermost surface layer (using a protectant on a damp fabric will ‘seal in’ the moisture and encourage the formation of mildew)
Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTop Protectant) on the dry fabric, keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movements spray lightly but do not soak.
Alternatively use a soft horsehair paintbrush and apply light thin coats, if time permits, two light coats are better than one medium coat, using gentle sweeping motion. Do not saturate. Allow to dry 10-15 minutes between coats, and to dry thoroughly before using or storing.
Remove all masking tape and any other materials
Be sure to remove any accidental over-spray from paint or glass surfaces immediately with a damp Microfiber towel or a 1:1 isopropyl alcohol / distilled water solution. On paint work use a pre-wax cleaner if necessary or fine detailing clay.
After treatment the top will bead water, when the beading diminishes (usually at 6 monthly intervals, dependant upon climate / use) it's an indication that it's time for another treatment.
Maintenance-

Normal cleaning: Use a 10:1 solution of Woolite/ Distilled water and then apply 303 Space Protectant for UVR protection