PDA

View Full Version : Problem with technique or with product?

LemNasty
07-16-2014, 03:16 AM
I can't seem to get any results using XMT's line of products. I recently used XMT #3 on two vehicles and got almost no improvement either time. On one car I switched to an old bottle of SwirlX and it removed 50% of the defects. I feel like the XMT should be working better than what I'm seeing. Is this a problem with technique or a problem with product... Or both?

Both cars I used LC CCS orange pads with my PC. I tried multiple test spots running from 5-6 on both vehicles.

antti@561detailing
07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
What cars you worked on? What size pads? 6.5 pads and pc with xmt didn't work on my car also.

TundraPower
07-16-2014, 09:00 AM
I can't seem to get any results using XMT's line of products. I recently used XMT #3 on two vehicles and got almost no improvement either time. On one car I switched to an old bottle of SwirlX and it removed 50% of the defects. I feel like the XMT should be working better than what I'm seeing. Is this a problem with technique or a problem with product... Or both?

Both cars I used LC CCS orange pads with my PC. I tried multiple test spots running from 5-6 on both vehicles.

XMT are "okay" products. Step up to the Wolfgang, Menzerna, or similar, work very slowly with the PC, and you'll have better results. Just my 2 cents.

Nick McKees37
07-16-2014, 09:48 AM
It sounds like your vehicle has paint that's on the softer side.

XMT polishes will deliver a great finish, but it may require a little more skill on softer paint systems. I would suggest upgrading to Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. These two products are about as fool-proof as they come - users of all skill levels can achieve a flawless finish using these two.

:dblthumb2:

LemNasty
07-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I've been using 5.5" pads with the 5" backing plate. I received the XMT bottles in a PC starter kit, so I've been trying to put them to good use. I used XMT on a Toyota Matrix, Hyundai Elantra, Corvette and 2 Mazda 3's with less than desirable results. Just this morning I used M105/M205 with 21# sealant on my Corvette and was able to remove almost all the defects and give the hood a really nice shine.

I am also seriously considering picking up a few microfiber pads. Foam pads feel like they absorb more than they put down and can be a pain to clean.

damaged442
07-17-2014, 08:55 AM
I bought some #4, #3 and #1 with my PC. Due to the fact that I was brand new at using any of this stuff, I did see some significant improvement. My paint on my 442 was heavily oxidized. I knew going in that there will be substantial amount of bodywork that the car will eventually see, along with a complete repaint, so I wasn't scared to use it to learn to see if I could make the paint shine better.

It worked pretty well for that. It looks pretty good considering what I started with.

Fast forward to me wanting to perform paint correction on my black Acura. Even the XMT #1 on a white LC CCS pad left some pretty good hazing. I know Honda paint is soft, and black can be difficult, but I was not impressed with how it turned out at all. I was able to clean it up with XMT360 and topped it with 845.

I'll keep it around though and try it on something else...you never know. What may work for one finish, might not work so well on another.

Kamakaz1961
07-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Move up to either Wolfgang Products or Menzerna. I like FG400 and polishing I like SF4500. Wolgang's products are Uber and their Wolfgang polish.

That should do the trick