PDA

View Full Version : New Member- 2014 Shelby GT500

Pages : [1] 2

14Shelby
07-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new on here- looking to pick up tips and tricks to make my new 2014 Shelby GT500 look better than show room new. This is my first black car, but but have been working at detailing casually for years now. My go to products have been the Ardex line, but didn't realize there was so many better products out there than commercial detail products/ parts store/retail line. I'm really looking to learn and improve my skills thanks to everyone on here.

custmsprty
07-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Welcome, Pics?

14Shelby
07-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Sorry, no pics yet. It is sitting in Orlando waiting to be shipped up to PA. Reliable doesn't have enough cars to fill the truck yet.

TuxedoTaurus
07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
You lucky dog, suck a sweet car. You did tell them not to prep the car didn't you. If your Ford detailers are like the ones by me you might as well expect it looking like it came off the used lot.

The one by me had a Roush edition on the show room, the paint was a horrible. I could not see paying over $70k for the paint to llok the way it did.

14Shelby
07-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Yes,

I worked as a detailer at local Ford dealer 15 years ago while in college. I know what kind of work was turned out from the dealership. I requested that the car show up as it sat on the showroom floor. No wash, wax, detail, etc. I don't want to be working out someones mistakes. I wasn't happy that the original plastics were removed, but oh well.

I may find myself (or having a professional) take out the factory orange peel if there is some.

I do want to avoid any self induced scratching and make the paint look deep and hold durability. I think I have found the place to do all of that.

custmsprty
07-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Sorry, no pics yet. It is sitting in Orlando waiting to be shipped up to PA. Reliable doesn't have enough cars to fill the truck yet.

We'll look forward to seeing it, congratulations!

TuxedoTaurus
07-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Sounds great, now we want to see it!

because now :postpics:

and I hope you have a better experience than this:http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/82619-caution-re-well-known-detailers.html

cardaddy
07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
:welcome:to AGO (AutoGeek OnLine).

This is the first line of defense for your new addiction. :righton:

Kudos on the new Shelby as well.:applause:

Now that all that's out of the way. ;) I second the motion that surely you told the dealership NOT TO PREP THE CAR. :eek: It's been my experience, as well as most everyone else here, that once they touch it the damage is something that'll take somewhere from 12 (if you're lucky) to 25~30 hours to correct. :rolleyes: ESPECIALLY on that soft black Ford paint! :eek:

I have a neighbor that has a dark metallic blue GT500 (as well as a ton of other muscle cars old and new) and while it's harder than the black and doesn't show swirls quite as bad, it still drives me nuts.

He's the type of guy that grabs whatever over the counter microfiber he sees and does a lot of wiping and smearing of whatever soap or bottled wax he has sitting around..... yet doesn't really do anything that 'helps' the finish. Makes me cringe whenever I've been there when he's washing one of (his many) vehicles. :laughing:

In the meantime, while you're waiting on your new 'baby'. Pull up a chair, prop up your feet, sit a while, relax, and enjoy your new 12 step program. :props:

jamesboyy
07-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Welcome to autogeek

14Shelby
07-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm hoping it just add a wash before hitting the showroom. As soon as it gets home, I'll get some pictures of it put up on here.

I'm looking forward to my new part time job.

07-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm hoping it just add a wash before hitting the showroom. As soon as it gets home, I'll get some pictures of it put up on here.

Welcome to AGO!

Definitely wash and clay the new ride once you get it! What a Beast, I'm jealous. New full time job is more like :dblthumb2:

AZ Mike
07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Part time job. HAH! Congratulations on the new car.

14Shelby
08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Well guys, after six long weeks, the orange reliable truck showed up this morning with the Shelby, and the rain along with it. Between the dust and little bit of rain, the car looks like a 'barn find'. Now off to finally order a pile of detail products to clean it up before taking it out.

I'll be sure to get some before and after pics here shortly.

Kamakaz1961
08-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Nice ride!! Show some pics when you get the chance. The Shelby GT500 is a beast!!

Black on a Stang is one of the most beautiful colors!! Welcome to AGO

My avatar is just a lowly Black 2013 Mustang GT w/Track-Pack, Barton 2-Post Short Throw Shifter, FRPP Cat Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Panhard Rod, Steeda CAI and Steeda Tune.

Can't wait for the pics!!!

RA-88Z
08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Welcome to AGO! congrats on such a sweet car!!!

I think someone said black, is a full time job..lol