PDA

View Full Version : Wax on garage doors

novaman
07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
I made the mistake of using old car wax on my steel garage doors that are chocolate brown. Now the wax is showing all over the doors as a white film. I have tried different cleaners and scrubbed with brush without much success. Any ideas what I could use.

Novaman

Paul A.
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
No but i would like to know the brand...anything that hard to get off i want on my car.

jsgntulok
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
3M Adhesive Remover should do the job for you. WD-40 is a possibility but you will probably have to give the door a soapy wash to remove the residue.

Belair
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
No but i would like to know the brand...anything that hard to get off i want on my car.

hahahahahaha. Me too. I'm trying to think of a chemical but can't come up with anything; maybe a stripper like zip strip that would take wax off floors.

jamesboyy
07-15-2014, 05:57 PM
You might have to use apc and brush and work in small sections though rubbing alcohol you may can also try though next time a good choice of lsp on your garage doors would be chemical guys v7

CowboyTruckn
07-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Who waxes garage doors?

novaman
07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Who waxes garage doors?FYI, I waxed the garage doors because they are dark brown and they were starting to fade and loose there luster. I had some old spray car wax, years old and decided to try and spruce them up. However, it made a real mess of them. I wish I hadn't used the auto wax.

novaman

allenk4
07-15-2014, 08:56 PM
You might have to use apc and brush and work in small sections though rubbing alcohol you may can also try though next time a good choice of lsp on your garage doors would be chemical guys v7

Are the garage doors single-stage or BC/CC?

Are you going to compound and polish before wax?

IPA wipe down?

Do you suggest taping off the wood trim?

What do you use on the rubber strip at the bottom of the door? I think Wolfgang has a new Garage Door Trim Sealant.

Isn't there a on Garage Door LSP's somewhere on the Forum?

hernandez.art13
07-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Who waxes garage doors?

is this a garage door? :dunno:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLtrUYHDUI&list=UUtgj68wpETj9p2QaT3T276Q]How To Wax Your Car/Truck/RV With Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell - YouTube[/video]

bigdaddy65
07-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Mineral spirits would remove the wax and not harm the paint. If the white remains it is most likely oxidation.

novaman
07-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Mineral spirits would remove the wax and not harm the paint. If the white remains it is most likely oxidation.Ok, thanks I will give that a try. I did scrub with an apc, then I used Zaino perfect tire gloss on some of the panels and it does look better. However, the Zaino tire gloss will not last and is not a permanent solution.

novaman

jamesboyy
07-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Are the garage doors single-stage or BC/CC?

Are you going to compound and polish before wax?

IPA wipe down?

Do you suggest taping off the wood trim?

What do you use on the rubber strip at the bottom of the door? I think Wolfgang has a new Garage Door Trim Sealant.

Isn't there a on Garage Door LSP's somewhere on the Forum?

Sorry about the late post though yes I would tape off the wood trim that way no wax, compound, wont get stuck inbetween the wood, IPA is rubbing alcohol, in order to determine whether it's single or clear coated just use a paint cleaner or polish and rub in one spot if Its no paint transfer Its clear coated and if theres paint transfer its single stage, for the rubber strip on the bottom of the door I would just a trim dressing that I have on hand, lastly compound and polishing it could be done though take caution

allenk4
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Allenk4 was teasing in his last post