PDA

View Full Version : Grease on my Daytona Wheel Brush

phens82
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Hi All,

Was cleaning my wife's 4x4 over the weekend, and discovered heavy grease on my Daytona wheel brush (as well as the face of the wheel) when doing the front left corner. CV boot split, puked up a bunch of grease into the wheel barrel, and it got on my wheel brush. :mad:

Is there a way to de-grease the brush or is it trashed? Right now it's worse than garbage - it'd smear a lot of grease on anything it touched!

Thanks!

jamesboyy
07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Try wiping the bristles down with apc and paper towel

take a look at the tip on this page

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/54767-removing-grease-detail-brushes.html

kevin_1981
07-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Had the same problem with my wheel brush... i just used simple green to get rid of the grease, then rinsed with apc and water. Mine doesnt sound like it was as bad as yours though.

If you think its trashed anyway, maybe some brake cleaner would strip the grease?

phens82
07-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Try wiping the bristles down with apc and paper towel

I think that may eventually work, but I was hoping to go with a chemical degreaser (immerse the brush overnight or something) due to the amount of grease. Regarding the amount of grease on the brush... picture less "packet of ketchup" and more "tub of ketchup"

Paul A.
07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
I would probably want to leave it in a good, warm bucket of dish soap and water...and heavy on the dish soap. That stuff is pretty good at releasing greasy stuff.

parttimer
07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
APC it up, should come clean just fine.

phens82
07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks all. I think I'm covered... jamesboyy put a link to a thread that covers this exact topic. Thanks again!

Audios S6
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Good luck, CV grease is probably the worst stuff out there to clean. After doing it once, I refuse to do a boot replacement myself. I'll either pay someone or just replace the half shaft, cost is pretty much the same on my car.

swanicyouth
07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
No APC will work.

Brake Kleen my friend. That will work 100%. Believe it or not, it's pretty safe on plastics that aren't painted.

Tato
07-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Mine occurred the same thing. I've cleaned it using a neutral soap bar, squeezing and rubbing (I know, that's embarrassing) many, many times.

In between rubbings, I've used the steamer to help releasing dirt. At the final rinse, I've steamed it again and let it sit upside down overnight.

Came like new.

Good luck.