PDA

View Full Version : New and Confused

sagester
07-15-2014, 10:27 AM
First off I'd just like to thank everyone on this site for the knowledge that you share with everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks now and love this place! I'm just a weekend warrior with a new Ford Explorer Limited in Tuxedo Black. I bought the PC 7424 and used a sealant (Wizards) from a buddies parts store and topped it with P21. I thought that it turned out very nice and everything was quite user friendly. I had wanted to buy a couple of Blackfire products to try and when they went on sale I probably spent more than what I should have! But now I've started reading about the Opti-Coat and CQuartz products. I like the sound of what the CQuartz offers and would like to try it, but here's my question, what to do with the Blackfire products? Why would more people not use these products(opti & cquartz) instead of a sealant/wax combo? The Explorer is a DD and no matter the forcast, it seems to rain within 12 hours of a wash! From what I've read, the CQuartz helps with keeping a vehicle cleaner, correct? Can I top the CQuartz with the BF Sealant and a wax? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

refreshauto
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
i agree with you more people should use the CQuartz and Opti-Coat, but most people will not spend the money it takes to get the vehicle ready for either of these products. before any of us here will put on a coating the paint has to be perfect or all those imperfections will be there forever. that is where most will loose interest and choose not to go with a coating.

Bunky
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Welcome!

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Coatings can be expensive (but waxes can be expensive too) and can be finicky to apply for some. Some like the look that a product product imparts on the paint. Others just want something durable on the paint and not have to deal as much with washing, etc.

A lot of people just like to baby their car and others like to sample products just like a cigar or beer lover does. Also, coatings are fairly new and a lot of people still have lots of products to use and continue to do so.

Everyone needs to decide their own needs and wants.

Mike Phillips
07-15-2014, 10:37 AM
First off I'd just like to thank everyone on this site for the knowledge that you share with everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks now and love this place!

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

The Explorer is a DD and no matter the forcast, it seems to rain within 12 hours of a wash!

I feel your rain...

Right now in South Florida it rains almost every day between 3:00pm and 4:00pm. You can set your watch by it. It's early today, it just rained.

From what I've read, the CQuartz helps with keeping a vehicle cleaner, correct?

Well coatings in general, help keep cars cleaner and CQuartz is a coating.

Can I top the CQuartz with the BF Sealant and a wax? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Sure you can. This topic comes up from time to time and here's the deal, by topping a coating with a wax or sealant you lose the self-cleaning benefits of the coating.

So instead, once guys figure out the whole coating thingy most I would guess opt to leave the coating not topped but instead, keep the coating clean with the appropriate car wash soap or shampoo.

:)

trekkeruss
07-15-2014, 10:44 AM
It's kinda-sorta like the choice between getting an automatic or manual transmission. The coating is like the auto; it costs more but it is easier to live with. Wax is the manual; it takes more work but it's enjoyable at the same time.

c8n
07-15-2014, 11:13 AM
If I used coatings... I would have no excuse as to why I need to be in the garage :nomore:

But seriously, there are many of us who enjoy waxing our cars :)

Tacket
07-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Depends if you really enjoy the hours and hours that you can spend on your paint. My Model S is coated because it's a daily driver, is black and has really soft paint. My wife's car on the other hand I sealed and waxed because it's red, doesn't get driven as often and has hard paint. I also love polishing, sealing, waxing.

The only experience with coatings I have is with Opti Coat Pro (not 2.0) that was professionally installed after a 100% paint correction. It was an expensive choice. IMO it does not look as good as traditional sealant/wax on a black car, but YMMV.

sagester
07-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone. All of this can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie! I think I'll try out the new Blackfire products until we get closer to winter and maybe try the Cquartz for a winter protectant.

Mike Phillips
07-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone. All of this can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie!

Everyone feels this way when first starting out... down the road you'll be answering questions for the next newbie to join... we all started out as newbies.

I think I'll try out the new Blackfire products until we get closer to winter and maybe try the Cquartz for a winter protectant.

Watch for my write-up for this project as we're using BLACKFIRE products on this swirled-out hotrod...

1938 Plymouth Sedan Streetrod Extreme Makeover! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/82852-1938-plymouth-sedan-streetrod-extreme-makeover.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=78076

:xyxthumbs:

frankprozzoly
07-15-2014, 08:22 PM
I just got a new car and I was looking into opti coat myself. I was told by a local detail shop that it's more for people who don't want to take care of their car like most people here.

I said the exact thing. I would think everyone would use this. I was also told it doesn't look quite as good. I asked one question that pushed me away. What happens when the coating gets scratched. When you buff it out its hard to get the coating level.

That's what I was told. I'll stick to waxing every couple months. I enjoy it

sagester
07-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I guess that probably would have been the easiest way to ask the question - tell me why I shouldn't use a coating like Cquartz or opti-clear.

chet31
07-21-2014, 10:42 PM
One reason you shouldn't use a permanent coating is that you will drive yourself crazy trying to make the clear coat absolutely perfect before you apply it. And you have a large vehicle.

I bought Opti-Coat 2.0 for my wheels, which are a PITA to clean. Works well. I experimented with it on my hood. Killed myself polishing the hood, but it looks good.

Prior to using OC, I would have put a modest effort in polishing the hood, improved it over last time, sealed it, called it day - knowing next time I could improve it further. With the OC, I feel "pressured" to remove all RIDS and get the hood absolutely perfect right now.

BTW, got bird droppings on the hood and it appears to have etched the OC. It's small, barely noticeable, but if I polish it, I might remove the OC and I will then have to reapply it. And this is after only a couple of months. Seems likely this kind of stuff will continue to happen and I'll have to reapply the OC well before I expected. It's starting to seem less permanent.

If I just had a sealant on the hood, I would polish out the spot and reapply sealant - easy.

I'm thinking my personality type doesn't fit well with the permanent coating concept - at least not on the big surfaces of my car. Especially considering how easy it is to apply sealants and how long they last now.

Tacket
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
I said the exact thing. I would think everyone would use this. I was also told it doesn't look quite as good. I asked one question that pushed me away. What happens when the coating gets scratched. When you buff it out its hard to get the coating level.

That's what I was told. I'll stick to waxing every couple months. I enjoy it

This, and the "look" of OC Pro are 2 reasons why I sorta regret getting OC Pro installed. One thing I do not regret is paying to get my black finish flawless before application. At least when and if I ever remove the OC I'll be starting from a good place, that is if I don't mess up my finish in the removal process.

68sting
07-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Is a coating just a better sealant? It still won't prevent swirls and rids in the CC so won't you still need to correct at some point ? How can it be permanent then? Sorry new to this and still wrapping my head around it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quiksilver5882
07-21-2014, 11:21 PM
I would think of it as semi-permanent. Nothing is permanent or a force field of protection. Yes, you can still get scratches with paint coatings. They add additional material on top of the clear coat which gives you added protection. With a proper wash routine, you shouldn't be inflicting any damage upon your paint.