PDA

View Full Version : how do I remove Rain-X residue on windshield?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
my windshield has Rain-X residues thus it tends to attract dirt like a magnet.

how do I remove Rain-X residue?

I tried degreaser but it is still there.

jamesboyy
07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
You may have to clay with Window or use rubbing alcohol and if that dont work then you may have a case of etching and will need a water spot remover

FUNX650
07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
The most sure fire (no pun intended) way to completely remove RainX is to use naptha. Regular Zippo-type lighter fluid is naptha based. So is Coleman (or similar) camp fuel. You can also use VM&P naptha...found at most home improvement and paint supplies stores.

Naptha eliminates any RainX that has even found its way into auto glass' microscopic 'pores'.

Bob

sito
07-14-2014, 02:12 PM
The most sure fire (no pun intended) way to completely remove RainX is to use naptha. Regular Zippo-type lighter fluid is naptha based. So is Coleman (or similar) camp fuel. You can also use VM&P naptha...found at most home improvement and paint supplies stores.

Naptha eliminates any RainX that has even found its way into auto glass' microscopic 'pores'.

Bob

have you used naptha before? this stuff is volatile.

sito
07-14-2014, 02:26 PM
can I use super fine steel wool type 0000 to clean windshield?

allenk4
07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
What specifically do you mean by "residues" (sp).

Is this a fresh application of Rain-X and you had trouble buffing it completely off.

Is this an old application of Rain-X that has lost it's potency?

allenk4
07-14-2014, 02:29 PM

You can use 0000 to clean your windshield...but, why?

What are you trying to remove?

What products and techniques have you tried so far?

FUNX650
07-14-2014, 02:29 PM
have you used naptha before? this stuff is volatile.
•Yes: Of course I have used naphtha, and products containing naphtha many, many times before.
-I would not have otherwise suggested its use, in order to remove RainX residues, if I had not.

•I also know full-well of its volatility. Accordingly:
-I use extraordinary safety pre-cautions when I do use naphtha.

•Naphtha will, as I said earlier, completely remove the RainX- residues. But:
-If you have feelings of uneasiness in using Naphtha for this project...then don't!

I sure would not!!
I do not want any of the steel-wools' broken-off, excess metal shards anywhere near my vehicle that will only rust; or: be faced with potential windshield scratches, from its use.

Bob

sito
07-14-2014, 02:33 PM

Is this a fresh application of Rain-X and you had trouble buffing it completely off.

this is old Rain X application. It lost its potency.

sito
07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
You can use 0000 to clean your windshield...but, why?

What are you trying to remove?

What products and techniques have you tried so far?

I saw youtube video that suggested using steel wool.

Johnnyboy
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM

:whs:
For fresh applications.......I used to have a hard time buffing it off myself. I now use Rain-X after I wash and before drying the whole vehicle. I only dry the windows, apply the product according to directions and then buff off what I can. After that, I rewash the windows and that gets the residue all off.......then dry the whole car. I get NO residue and no excess of dirt build up this way. With old applications.....never had to remove any myself as I have never had a problem with it. GL

FUNX650
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM
•RainX' MSDS:
http://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Rain-X.pdf

-It contains plenty of "flammables" {:eek:}...
yet you were willing to use it on your windshield. :confused:

•OK...Let's go this route:
-How about a detailing-product that has "naphthenic hydrocarbon distillates" (OH so many, many do).
-Meguiar's #04 fits the bill, IMO.

•Use #04 on a terry-cloth towel/pad, to hopefully rub-off the RainX-residues.
-Note: As Mike Phillips has stated on occasion:
You may have to put some passion behind the pad/(terry-towel).

Bob

allenk4
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I used Rain-X for years and never had issues applying a fresh coat on a windshield that had Rain-X on it previously.

I wonder if you are not getting the windshield completely clean prior to application of Rain-X?

There are several threads on AGO centered around proper cleaning of glass. I suggest:

- Your Regular Wash
- Clay the Glass
- Clean exterior with Glass Cleaner
- Apply Rain-X

I would use 0000 as a very last resort. Scratches in glass are very difficult to remove.

TheFrankenberry
07-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Don't use 0000 steel wool. Yes, it will work, but with a ton of elbow grease on your part. Why not just polish it out as Mike as shown in several of his videos?

In any case, it's just Rain-X. Just spray it for half an hour with a hose and it'll disappear...

BillE
07-15-2014, 07:24 AM
"No Touch Auto Glass Stripper." Part #GS8.

Bill