PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to use pressure washer to wash car?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
07-14-2014, 01:12 PM
is it safe to use pressure washer to wash car?

I bought a Brigg & straton 2500PSI washer which works wonderful on my Sorento.

Firehouse Mike
07-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I use a 2400psi Karcher and make it a rule to use the 15* tip (yellow) and to stay at least 20" from the surface. Any closer and you do chance blowing paint off; maybe not on a new car, but anything with older paint it's way too easy to do. I've seen it happen before!

Or just use a lower pressure electric, or a standard hose.

sito
07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
I use delicate tip.

oldmodman
09-29-2016, 04:48 AM
I have a gas powered washer with 4400 psi and have no problem using it for removing mud and heavy dirt build up.

As was already said just be sure to use the wide nozzle to keep the amount of average pressure hitting the paint down to a safe level. Even a 1200 psi washer can harm paint if used with the pin point nozzle.

GSKR
09-29-2016, 05:35 AM
I use a 2400psi Karcher and make it a rule to use the 15* tip (yellow) and to stay at least 20" from the surface. Any closer and you do chance blowing paint off; maybe not on a new car, but anything with older paint it's way too easy to do. I've seen it happen before!

Or just use a lower pressure electric, or a standard hose.never seen or used a yellow.Is it wider than white?

FUNX650
09-29-2016, 11:11 AM
I bought a Brigg & straton 2500PSI washer
which works wonderful on my Sorento.

I use delicate tip.

is it safe to use pressure washer
to wash car?

•It appears to me that you
already have used the pressure
washer to wash your vehicle...

•So...What if the answer really is:
-No!...it is not safe to use a
pressure washer to wash a car?

Bob

srpurdy
09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
personally I don't see the point of using a pressure washer. Just a waste of money unless you need one for some other reason.

GSKR
09-29-2016, 03:36 PM
personally I don't see the point of using a pressure washer. Just a waste of money unless you need one for some other reason.
Cuts so much time with wheels nasty mats and door jambs.A must to have in all aspects.This is why guys are spending 3 hrs to clean wheels.your saving 2 hours easily.

Maestro Sam
09-29-2016, 03:41 PM

A pressure washer is a must if you are detailing professionally. Saves a lot of water and plus can clean wheels, glass, and paint faster. Also, great for soiled mats.

david b
09-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Huh...sounds like you've already used the pressure washer with success. Must be safe.

shadwell
09-29-2016, 04:12 PM
The washer is not the point of question... The operator is....

Hence if you are not a dumbass then you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
09-29-2016, 04:15 PM
I bet a pressure washer would be nice to have if you're ever in a parking lot and see a pit bull without a leash running towards you. I wonder how that would turn out. Lol.

GSKR
09-29-2016, 04:30 PM
If you have a chance,change the tip to red and that dog will be hurting.

srpurdy
09-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Cuts so much time with wheels nasty mats and door jambs.A must to have in all aspects.This is why guys are spending 3 hrs to clean wheels.your saving 2 hours easily.

I cleaned wheels that had 7 years of brake dust on them in 45 minutes without a pressure washer. So I don't know why it would take 3 hours?
(Yes the car was never washed for 7 years the rims had clear coat failure on them too as a result of the neglect.)

I'm sure it would have been easier, but I don't really see the point in getting one for just wheels.

Sonax Full Effect + dwell, + brushes, + diablo gel, plus buckets with car soap. Get it all done. Repeat a second time, third time if needed. ! wheel is done in 10 minutes. Dump water, add more soap, and repeat. Each wheel gets a fresh new bucket of soap and water. :) I'll probably add ONR into that mix in the future as I ordered some of that. :P

GSKR
09-29-2016, 05:35 PM
I cleaned wheels that had 7 years of brake dust on them in 45 minutes without a pressure washer. So I don't know why it would take 3 hours?
(Yes the car was never washed for 7 years the rims had clear coat failure on them too as a result of the neglect.)

I'm sure it would have been easier, but I don't really see the point in getting one for just wheels.

Sonax Full Effect + dwell, + brushes, + diablo gel, plus buckets with car soap. Get it all done. Repeat a second time, third time if needed. ! wheel is done in 10 minutes. Dump water, add more soap, and repeat. Each wheel gets a fresh new bucket of soap and water. :)45 minutes is to long.Replacing the soap bucket is time wasted and added labor.There is no comparison as far as quickness.Everyone believes in there way of doing things.If it works for you than that's all it matters.