PDA

View Full Version : Removing chipping spray paint from wheels

nissenc1337
07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Hey Guys-

This is an odd situation but I know this land of knowledge will be able to help.

I bought car this weekend and am very happy with it but the previous owner seems to have done a little modification work. I noticed the wheels looked either dirty or painted from the dealer's pictures and sure enough: they've been painted.

Now on 3 of 4 wheels I can use my nail and pick away at the paint as it's already chipped in a lot of areas. Either the owner didn't prep the wheel correctly or applied too few coats. The 4th wheel is solid, no chipping and it's been clear coated. I want it all off.

Now, I've used Tar-X in the past to remove spray paint and paint transfer from a car but I'm wondering if that will work here? Otherwise I'm not entirely sure of a solution that doesn't involved me scraping off all the wheels...by hand...

Any ideas? I can get a few pictures up but I essentially need a technique that will remove the paint and not damage the good paint underneath. A PW might work but I'll surely need some chemical to help weaken that top layer.

nissenc1337
07-15-2014, 09:56 AM
No one with some ideas or suggestions?

jamesboyy
07-15-2014, 11:07 PM
take a look at this vid

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdr8RWQd64]Paint Strip Off a ROta - YouTube[/video]

also you can google"removing spray paint off wheels" for more vids and tips

Charger12
07-16-2014, 05:57 AM
No one with some ideas or suggestions?

Bueller? Bueller?

refreshauto
07-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Going to have to sand them down at start over

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

nissenc1337
07-16-2014, 02:58 PM
take a look at this vid

Paint Strip Off a ROta - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdr8RWQd64)

also you can google"removing spray paint off wheels" for more vids and tips

I'll look around, I think I may be up a creek though unless I somehow manage to remove the spray paint and not let anything eat through the factory clear coat/paint.

BrandonB
07-16-2014, 09:58 PM
You might can take something such as goof off, or a little stronger stripper (maybe acetone, since it evaporates quickly.) and simply rub over the spray paint, rather than coat the wheel in aircraft stripper.

It depends on the type of spray paint, and sometimes the brand of how easy they come off.

Something I seen done on model cars is people spray them in Easy off oven cleaner and let it set. Still a chance of harming the factory clear though.

Kingston
07-16-2014, 10:16 PM
same process as stripping and polishing aluminum. Just get some aircraft stripper and a paintbrush and keep it off the tires. Will strip quickly but its a messy job. GLOVES!! Then polish or repaint them. Simple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

nissenc1337
08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm going to try a pressure washer, as the original paint looks to be safe under this hack job spray paint nonsense.

I can scrape the spray paint off with my nail so a pressure washer shouldn't have any problem on 3 of the 4 wheels. However, that remaining wheel looks to have been properly painted and prepped so that may be more difficult.

jamesboyy
08-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted and I am gald you see a path way to fix your situation good luck on those wheels